"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Gate-fold Easel Design Tutorial

Hello friends and a happy weekend to you!
It's going to start heating back up again and so I think this means some quiet stamp time for me! Yay!
I wanted to make sure that I at least posted this tutorial as promised before I forgot to do it,
but do you remember when I posted this creation?....
You can see more photos of this design on my blog post by CLICKING HERE.
But...for the tutorial and dimensions on how to make this design, then stay on this post because you are in the right place!  Just keep scrolling! :).............


Here's what you will need to start with:
Believe it or not, this is all you really need to make this design!  Along with a scorer tool and your own personal preferences about how you'd like to decorate it.  I am keeping this plain and not decorated just for the purpose of showing you how to put together the main design.
I've placed an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of card stock on my lined grid paper so you can see what size you are working with and how big or small it will look as we go.


STEP 1:
You will need to put your 8 1/2" x 11" card stock on the LONG side (11" side) to score first.
You will be scoring two marks:  first one at 2 1/2" and again at 5 1/2".
HINT:  To make my score tool run smoothly against the card stock, I like to wipe the end of it with a dryer sheet.


STEP 2:
For the purpose of this tutorial, I've used a white gel pen on the lines that have been scored so that you can see where the score marks have already been made.
Now that you've made the score marks on the long side, turn the card stock to the SHORT side to score. (8 1/2" side of card stock).
You will be making two or four score marks depending upon your preference:
If you are going to keep your card flat with little dimension on the inside of your design, then just score at 2 1/8" on each end of the SHORT side of card stock.
If you are planning on having more dimension to the inside of your design like mine is (shown above), with flowers, charms, etc. added to it, then you will need room for sides.
Then you will need to score at 1 7/8" and again at 2 1/8" on each end of the SHORT side of card stock.  Either way you do this, you will still need to finish out the same directions listed below as there will be a small gap in your gate-fold design when closed.

As you can see in this photo, I have marked in white all of the score lines that were made.  It really doesn't matter if you go all the way across with these score marks or not as you can see, you will be cutting off the two panels on each side of the card stock....


STEP 3:
So as shown in the photos above, you will need to take your scissors or your paper cutter if you prefer and cut away the two short squares on each side of the card stock.  This is what it will look like once you've cut away the proper panels.


STEP 4:
Now basically all that is left is to fold all of the score marks to make your design come together.
First, take the middle long flap and fold it like you are making an easel style card.
(Obviously, you would decorate this as you wish.)

Now as you can see, all you have to do then is fold in each side over top of the easel inside which will make for your gate-fold style of the design.  This is what it will look like all folded together.


STEP 5:
You will notice that once you close up your gate-fold portion of your design, that there is a small gap between the two panels.  You can leave like it is if you prefer, but I wanted my design fully covered, so what I did was take another strip of card stock, punched a decorative edge on it and attached it to the inside of the gate-fold panel.  If you don't like it sticking out on the inside of your design, I just covered mine up with decorative papers and made it part of my design.


STEP 6:
Of course, to make your gate-fold design stay closed, you will need something to hold it in place.
I've used a ribbon here to tie it together, but you could also use velcro, magnets, etc.  However you'd like to make it work with your design.  I just thought this was simple enough to do, but versatile enough to make it any way you'd like it to be!  So if you like more simple...it would work that way as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you've enjoyed this tutorial and if you give one a go, let me know so that I can drop by and look at it!
Thanks for all of your support, it is truly appreciated friends!  This is the reason I keep blogging! :)  So if there's anything else you see me doing and would like to know about, just let me know!
 
I still have another tutorial coming up (Fran-tage) that I would like to make a video for because it's easier to understand if it's in a video...so I will come back again with another tutorial for you soon!
Stay tuned in and thanks for dropping by!  Have a great weekend!

HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

32 comments:

Jennifer Scull said...

thank you so much for sharing this awesome tutorial with all of us! I'm going to bookmark it so that I can always come back to it. :)

enjoy your weekend!

Donna said...

Fab tut Vicki and so easy to follow, might have to give this a try as I loved your card when you posted it. Thank you :) Donna ♥ x

Sue - bearhouse said...

A really fabulous tutorial Vicki. I am always keen to try out new designs so will definitely be giving this a go!
hugs Sue xx

Regina said...

oh, Vicki! An unusual card with the "Wow" factor! I'm fascinated with this type of card!
Th♥nks for your great tutorial!

sending hugs
Regina

Tammy said...

Thanks for the tutorial and thanks for making it will the white gel pen! Can't wait to see your tutorial on frantage, love that stuff!

sue morris said...

What a sweet card and a fun little tutorial! I love this! Hope your enjoying your weekend as well!!

Berni Cuttino said...

Adorable and precious sweet image and fold. Thanks for the tutorial!
Hugs

Stef H said...

stunning card and great tut!
nope. no rain but i like the umbella and clouds!

have a great weekend!

hugs :)

crafty-stamper said...

great tutorial and love the card -waiting for the franfage tutorial as mine just looks like an accident lol
Carol x

NanaConnie said...

Thanks so much,Vicki! I'm definitely going to do one of these when I get home. :-D Hugs

Mary Lou said...

Super cute Vicki...thanks for step by step tutorial!!
Hugs

Patricia St Martin said...

THANK YOU!!! So much Vicki for doing the tutorial. I was trying to figural out the how too. I do want to try the card. I love the look.
Hugs Pat

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

So super cute!!! Love the adorable image and the great design. Fabulous.

ribenaruby said...

Oh wow Vicki, understandable and very well explained tut, will need to give that one a go I think, many thanks! Ruby x

downrightcrafty said...

great card so pretty and super tutorial, funny I did a tutorial this morning also so did make me smile
Hugs Kate xx

Desire Fourie said...

Oh wow Vicki, this is an awesome card design and thanks for the wonderful tutorial. Love your beautiful card.
Thanks also for all your wonderful comments on my blog. I apologise for not always getting round to visit as often as I would have liked.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Basement Stamper said...

fabulous tutorial and your card is darling. love that paper you are using on it.

Tammy said...

Wonderful tutorial Vicki, thanks so much and I love that card!!
Hugs, Tammy

Jennifer said...

This is so very sweet Vicki! I love this tea party image and your flowers and papers are so very sweet together! Thanks also for the wonderful tutorial!

Donna Mosley said...

Stunning card Vicki, love your amazing colouring and gorgeous design. Thanks for the fab tut hun. :o)

onna x

Wishcraft said...

Gorgeous card and a fabulous tutorial too, thank you hun :o) Hugs, Lisa x

Kimberly S said...

Such a pretty card, and a fabulous tutorial Vicki!! :) hugs, Kimberly

Amy Johnson said...

Pretty card and great tutorial! Thanks Vicki!

aussie aNNie said...

AWESOME Vicy, great card and thanks for the tutorial. I am always looking for something different and love this one.xxx

Ellen said...

thanks for sharing Vicki! I pinned your original card to figure out the measurements~thanks for taking the guess work out with your fabulous tutorial!!
Hugs
Ellen

Rhonda Miller said...

Your card is so pretty. Thank you for sharing the tutorial.

Sue said...

Wow, thanks for sharing, Vicki, your card looked way more complicated....loved the card what a sweet image.

hugs
Sue

Pat (mspfd) said...

This is such a neat fold. Thanks so much for sharing. Love your card!

Asha said...

FANTASTIC idea! I will definitely give it a go. Thank you so much for this brilliant tut - you rock!
xxx Asha
Sunny Summer Crafts

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

Beautiful, love the colours and the fold and the image is so sweet, thanks for sharing how you made it
Lindsay xx

nwilliams6 said...

Vicki - what a great card shape and that image is just darling. You are on a roll with really precious and sweet cards! Hugz!

Rosemary said...

Love this design! Thank you for sharing and I must try it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...