"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A Study of CAS...and Other Issues

Hello friends!  There's so much to share with you today that I'll just get to it!

Firstly, I haven't posted for a few days simply because my computer has finally "bit the dust" and fried itself! I knew it was coming soon, but what I'm not happy about is the fact that I wasn't able to back up the last few months of my computer before it decided to just not start any more.
So the computer has been taken apart and I'm going to TRY and get the things I need off it to save as I had several digital stamps on it that I've accumulated in the last couple of months!

I will have a new computer soon, but in the meantime I've been trying to set up my laptop to get my photos on, etc.  Not sure it was up for the job, but so far it seems to be doing OK.  I am ready for a new computer now and hope to get one here shortly.
And of course when I tried to make a post yesterday, blogger decided it didn't want to cooperate with me and it keeps flashing an error code when I make or edit a post! UGH!!  So I had to switch over to another browser to make this post!  When it rains...it doesn't want to quit!

So...now that my "RANT" is over with, (Tee..feel much better now, THANKS!), I have been working on something that I'd like to share with you!

This may seem a bit silly, and I thought it was at first too, until I started doing the lessons and following along with the tutorials.  But I am taking a class on Clean and Simple Card Making!

I have ALWAYS admired this style of card making design and seem to really struggle with it.  It is not as "easy" as what it may appear to be if you don't practice with it that much.  I have usually done the fussy design with the flowers, layers, tons of embellishments for the last few years and got stuck on that for so long, that I totally forgot how challenging it can be to just be SIMPLE!
I know many of my fellow craft friends have mixed feelings on this subject, but I have really enjoyed this process so far and hope to learn more in developing my CAS skills.
I do know that it actually takes me just as long to make one of these type of cards as it does the "fussy and fancy" cards sometimes!  It's more about being particular on the smallest of details for sure!

And so with that, I've decided to incorporate some of my CAS homework with some challenges for the Hope You Can Cling To on Splitcoast Stampers....
AW!! Riley is sooo cute with his pink smiley face!!  Obviously, I still LOVE to color and I don't want to give that up entirely when doing CAS designs...so as you can see, they can easily be incorporated into your simple style!

For the HYCCT1302 challenge on SCS, they wanted to see your "Funny - Make Me Smile" creations and I thought this would be perfect for that.  They want you to keep the inside of your cards mostly blank so that  messages can be written on the inside.  All of the cards that I'm making this month will be donated to the HYCCT Cause...or other special causes as in my last posting for OWH.  So basically everything you see this month will be donated to something or someone.

Here are some other challenges that I'd like to enter this for:
Crafty Catz - anything goes
Papertake Weekly - Two by 2 (2 pearls)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was one of my fave cards from this set of CAS that I made because I love Fall and I was excited to FINALLY get to use some of my washi tape that I had stocked up on!
So for this card, I took a sketch from my class and used the techniques shown in the tutorial to make it similar to hers, but making it my own.  All products are Stampin' Up!

This is also for the HYCCT1302 PINKTEREST challenge on SCS.  There were several different photos from PINterest to be inspired to create something from.  I chose this one:
Fresh Pink Rain

Here are a few other challenges to include this one in:
Sweet Stampin' - Autumn
Eclectic Ellapu - Celebrate Autumn
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for my last CAS design, there's actually quite a bit going on here.  I can't believe that I didn't have any plastic templates with patterns on them, so I created my own by using a die cut and cutting it out with transparency and laying it on my card front.  I sprayed with two different metallic Tattered Angels sprays for the look. I used two different punches to create an opening on the same card front.  I also used a die cut for the banner that I embossed the sentiment on.
Although a bit a messy, this was fun and more time consuming than it first appears.
This idea is based on one of the tutorials from my class and I've also made it for the
HYCCT1304 challenge on SCS to "Punch Out Breast Cancer".  (Obviously they want you to make a creation using punches/die cuts.)  I've used two punches and two die cuts.

Here's another challenge that I'd like to enter this card in:
Inky Chicks - two different die cuts
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Such a long post, I know!  But I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed creating these cards!  I figured that if I create three cards each day for the next three days, then I SHOULD be caught up with the HYCCT challenges and my homework!! LOL!!  Oh boy!

I have another request for a tutorial as well, so I am putting that together and posting it here shortly, so please be sure to stay tuned in for that.  I wanted to make a video tutorial, but with all of the computer problems I've been having lately, that will have to wait a bit!  Sorry for that as I know I had some requests to learn more about the frantage embossing.  (I will be doing that as well!  It's just not working out for me right now and I'll let you know when it's coming.)

I will be back soon with more fun soon!  Thanks so much for stopping by!
*Don't forget to enter my birthday blog candy if you haven't yet!!*

HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

33 comments:

Jennifer Scull said...

love your cards, most especially that cutey fun Riley one! :)

I would most certainly need a class on CAS cards. you know how very hard they are for me. I bet you are having a great time with it!

so glad you are also playing along with HYCCT! :)

take care, my dear friend!

Rhonda Miller said...

Wow, your cards are great. I love doing CAS cards as I never know quite where to put all the flowers, layers and embellishments. Maybe I need a class in that so I can start using my supplies. :)

Sue said...

A truly stunning selection of cards Vicki. I love the cute image on your first card. The water droplet effect on your second card looks amazing and the colours and sentiment on your final card are truly beautiful.
Take care, hope you get you new computer sorted soon.
hugs Sue xx

Danni said...

Hope your new computer comes soon, technology can be so frustrating when it's not there or not working!

Fabulous cards!!

Carla S. said...

Sorry to hear about your computer, Vicki! I hope you get what you need off it. When mine "fried", it was due to malware and even the experts weren't able to retrieve much for me. Funny, I just did my digi back-up today! Hoep you get a new computer soon! Your CAS cards are gorgeous! You are already an expert!

Deb said...

oh wow, you are rocking those CAS cards girl! top of the class there I am sure! Looks like a fun online class!
sorry to hear about your computer, hope you manage to retrieve your stuff!
Debxx

Basement Stamper said...

All of these are great, but my favorite is that last one, I love the sentiment on it.

Kimberly S said...

Beautiful CAS card Vicki, you are so fabulous at making them! Best of luck with getting the computer issues under control. :) hugs, Kimberly

Kjersti said...

Beautiful CAS cards Vicki!
Have a nice evening!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Jennifer said...

So sorry to hear that you're having computer woes. I'm glad you could post this though! Love your cas cards and I just adore your Riley!
Have a beautiful day!

Sandie said...

A great card,love the minimalistic look to your card..love the water drops....x

Thank you for joining in with the challenge over at Eclectic Ellapu.

aussie aNNie said...

Totally adorable and just love the last one, I can relate to that sentiment.xxx

Ellen said...

Fantastic collection of cards Vicki!! CAs is really hard for me but you rocked them! Hope your computer issues get fixed and you recover your digis!
Hugs
Ellen

Berni Cuttino said...

Hey Girl, you have mastered what CAS is about. These beauties are fabulous.
Hugs

debby4000 said...

Beautiful CAS cards.
luv
Debby

Regina said...

hi, Vicki,
oh, what great cards! I love CAS-cards and you did an awesome job with these!

hugs Regina

cotnob said...

A fabulous selection of cards Vicki, I think my favourite is the pink 'Inspire' one.
I have been following some of the Online Card Classes including the Clean and Simple one as well. I love the CAS style of card making but like you find it anything but simple sometimes and many of the techniques like those on your final card are really quite time consuming - but well worth the effort.
I will look forward to seeing some more of your CAS cards in the future.
Pauline
x

Donna Mosley said...

Gorgeous cards Vicki, love the very cute image on the first and all the fab designs.

Donna x

Tammy said...

Glad you are enjoying the class, wonderful way to find motivation and inspiration! Your cards are each outstanding!

Tammy said...

Gorgeous CAS cards Vicki! I absoltuley love the Riley one, fabulous coloring!! I hope you get a new computer soon!
Hugs, Tammy

Patricia St Martin said...

Sorry about your computer, hope it is back now.. It crazy how lost we are without it. Wonderful cards and each one is so pretty and love all the different techniques.
Hugs, Pat

Davi said...

Vicki So sorry to hear about your computer, I know its sooo frustating! All three of your cards are beautiful my friend ;) Especially love the little Riley one!

Helene Siermans said...

So cute! Love that little elk! Great work with the bow and pearl too.

Thanks for joining our Anything Goes Challenge at Crafty Catz this week! Good luck!
Nick

ribenaruby said...

Beautiful cards Vicki, especially the Riley one! Ruby x

Margreet said...

I do love your CAS cards, Vicki, especially Riley is a great one!
xxx Margreet

Pia Krogh Larsen said...

Perfect CAS! Thanks for sharing with us at Sweet Stampin' this week. Pia xx

Sandra said...

All of your cards are lovely.
Thanks for sharing with us at Sweet Stampin'
xxx

crafty-stamper said...

three great CAS card love the cute image and sentiment on the first and gorgeous bow
Carol x

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous cards Vicki :-) all of them are fabulous ! :-)

thanks for joining us on the Papertake Weekly Challenge
luv
Lols x x x

julieprice3 said...

Just beautiful, Each so different but lovely all the same, nice work my friend
Hugs Julie P

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

OMGosh these are so adorable! Love them. Note to self, run a back up soon! Ekk, sorry you have computer troubles.

Asha said...

You've done a great job of CASing! Like you I struggle to keep things simple and I so admire those who do it with ease. You've made some fine sample here, my friend. Definitely on the right track.
hugs,Asha - Sunny Summer Crafts

Dawn Frost said...

Beautiful CAS cards Vicki!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...