"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Post-It Note Cover Tutorial

Hello friends!  I have something that I wanted to share with you today which is a quick and easy tutorial on how I make these cute and fun Post-It Note holders with a place for a pen!

Here's a view of the inside when you open the cover...

Every time I share one, I get a request on how to make it.  It is really simple and once you've completed it, it will seem so easy for the next one you do.  I learned from a friend a few years ago how to do this particular type of Post-It Note holder and I know that there are probably several different tutorials out there, but this happens to be MY favorite way of making one.  So let's get started....
Step 1:
 You will need a piece of card stock that measures 8 1/2" x 3 1/2".  I've learned that you can create three Post-It Note holders from one sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" card stock...so keep that in mind!

Step 2:
Take your 8 1/2" x 3 1/2" piece of card stock and score the LONG side at:
3 1/2" , 4" and 4 1/2"

Step 3:
Now you are going to cut slits in the middle of the card stock piece where you made the score marks.
So take your piece of scored card stock on the SHORT side and line it up at 1 1/4" and make a slit from the first score line to the last score line.  (You can sort of see where my first slit is made to the left of the card stock piece in the photo above to help you see where to cut.)

Then you will move your piece of card stock to the 2 1/4" mark and make the same slit as the first one.

Step 4:
Now that you've made your score marks and slits, you will need to pop out the middle where you made your slits and fold inwards the other two areas where you scored.  This is what makes for the pen loop in your Post-It Note Cover.  As you can see in the photo, I like to use a bone folder to help fold the score lines where I want them to go.  You can easily see now how the project is taking shape...

Step 5:
You will notice that one side of the holder measures longer than the other.  (You need to find this as it's important for placing the sticky tape before securing it together.)
Place the LONGER measured side to the right where you see my scissors in the photo.  This is where your Post-It Notes will be attached to.
Now you will need some STRONG adhesive in the two places you see in the photo.  (My scissors are pointing to the top area where the sticky tape is.)  The cover will be handled frequently, so you'll want something that is durable and won't come apart.)
You will need to attach the sticky strip down to the right side of the holder BEFORE you attach your pad of Post-It Notes so that you know where to place it.

**Important tip - It's usually best to decorate the front of your project while it is still laying flat and  not assembled.  It makes it easier to work with.**

Step 6:
After you have decorated your holder how you like and have attached the sticky tape down in the areas indicated in step 5, you are ready to attach your Post-It Notes.  As mentioned above, I highly recommend very STRONG adhesive as this holder will be handled frequently.
So just eye-ball your placement of the Post-Its and attach it to the inside flap.

Step 7:
Obviously, I didn't decorate this one for tutorial purposes, but the last touch is to put your pen in the loop holder on the front of the design.  I like to buy those short pens because they fit nicely with the holders.  You can get a package of them with different colors from any store you like shop, I'm sure.  I bought mine at Walmart.  I usually like to match up all of the colors of the pen, Post-It Notes and card stock for uniformity.
----------------------------------------------------------
I hope that you have enjoyed my tutorial and go make some up for yourself or to give away!
They are quick, fun and easy!
Thanks for dropping by today and I'll see you back again soon!

HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

38 comments:

aussie aNNie said...

Many thanks for this Vicki, I am always wanting to do new things and this is ideal...great finish on yours.xxx

Mary Lou said...

Vicki I love this sticky note idea!!! Thanks for your easy to follow tute:). Gonna give it a try this week!!!
Hugs

Donna said...

Wow this little post it note holder is too cute Vicki and a really amazing tuturial too...thank you for sharing :) Donna ♥ x

Tammy said...

Terrific tutorial, thanks for the step-by-step directions!

Michele from MS said...

LOVE x 3 this idea! Thanks for the wonderful instructions! I am going to use this for office Christmas happies! Sooooo cute! Love the little mouse with the paper clip, etc. Fun!

Suman Pandit said...

wonderful tutorial Vicki !!I'm gonna bookmark this !!
http://www.kalasirjana.blogspot.in/

Stef H said...

awesome! sooooooooo totally awesome!

Sue said...

Thank you Vicki, a really fabulous and easy to follow tutorial.
hugs Sue xx

Deb said...

This is fabulous Vicki, I am so glad that you created the tutorial, I so want to make one! They would make great little Christmas gifts!
Debxx

Rhonda Miller said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Your finished holder is so cute. I love the little mouse.

Chrissy said...

This is just fabulous Vicki and I love the easy to follow tutorial..what a cute little mouse too..love the background and details..I'm going to make one of these..

luv CHRISSYxx

CraftinGranny said...

Great job Vickie! I'll give this a try real soon Sweetie. Glad to see you are still creating and crafting. "Hugs"

Julie said...

This is fabulous Vicki- I love the cover and what a great tutorial! Hugs, Juliexx

Linda said...

This is so cute, thanks for sharing the tutorial!!!!

Kimberly S said...

Such a cute post it holder Vicki! Thank you for sharing this fabulous tutorial as well! (love it with the pen holder) hugs, Kimberly

Marlies said...

A lovely note book! thanks for the tutorial! hugs, Marlies

Anneke said...

Great idea! And a beautiful notebook :) Hugs Anneke

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Oh that is so fabulous, I love the pen holder in your tutorial, I am so going to try this one out! Thanks. Adorable image and design.

Tammy said...

This is so cute Vicki, I love that little mouse! Thanks for the tutorial, I need to make one of these!!
Hugs, Tammy

nwilliams6 said...

Great tutorial Vicki!Hugz!

Berni Cuttino said...

Simply fabUlous and creative, awesome. Fantastic tutorial.
Hugs

Davi said...

Awesome cover Vicki, the mouse it toooo cute :) Thanks for the very detailed tutorial, Im saving it to make some of the...great job my friend :) Have a super week!

Jennifer said...

So very delightful! thank you for the tutorial as well. This little mouse and the lettered background is great!

ellyscard creatief said...

Fantastic tutorial and a fabulous creation.
Gr Elly

Asha said...

Fab tutorial and beautifully finished, Vicki. A great little gift idea! Thanks for sharing!
hugs Asha - Sunny Summer Crafts

MiamiKel said...

Oh Vicki, this is perfect!!! What an easy tutorial to follow! So lovely and you can't go wrong with the House Mouse cuties!!! Blessings, friend!

Julia Aston said...

Thanks for the great tutorial on this Vicki! I love how you decorated your cover on this!!

Patricia St Martin said...

Fantastic tutorial! Thanks for sharing. Love how you did the cover, turned out just darling.
Hugs, Pat

Joan Ervin said...

Ooooh, I love your post it note holder..the little HM image is adorable and what a wonderful tutorial!!! I will be making one of these, for sure!!!

Céline said...

fabulous Vicki, thanks for the tutorial
hugs
céline

Dawn Frost said...

Awesome tutorial thanks! I LOVE House Mouse, beautiful decorating on your Post-It Note!

Regina said...

Vicki, you're so sweet! Thanks for sharing the tutorial! I put it on my to-do- list. You've explained your tutorial so simply that everyone, anyone could follow it, even me.
Your post-it-book loöks adroble and the image on it makes me smile!
big hugs Regina

crafty-stamper said...

great tutorial I have even bought packs of gel pens(mixed colours) from the pound shop as they fit nicely too love the House Mouse image
carol x

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is the sweetest Vicki!! I just love your little mouse and your notebook design!! Great tutorial. TFS!!
hugs,
Chris

Tindaloo said...

cool tut, love the housemouse on this, too cute :)

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

WOW what an amazing cover, love the cheerfull look. Thanks for the step-by-step tutorial.
Have a nice weekend,
hugs Anja

Cheryl S. said...

Hi Vicki, It's Cheryl (from Maine) finally getting back to print off your tut for this great post-it holder. I really appreciate you taking the time to make this tut for us and it really explains the directions so clearly. I know my grandson's teachers will love this little gift.

(AJ) ArtJypsy said...

Thank You for this easy tutorial. I made one for the new Outlawz Tuesday Challenge ... http://ajcreativeenergy.blogspot.com/2016/10/post-it-note-holder.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...