"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Monday, March 17, 2014

Water-coloring With a Depth Perception

Hello friends!  Top O' the mornin' to ya!  - It's St. Patty's Day today! - no green for me though!  I know, you can give me a "pinch" if you feel you need to! LOL!

I'm here today with a different sort of card than what I would normally do!
Now, You've seen me do some CAS style and I know you've probably seen some of my past creations with some detailed images and coloring...this is neither of those, but a combination of them!
I think it's been YEARS since I've even attempted to do any water-coloring in my designs as I think back over things that I've done...yep, it's been years!  And I've done some water-coloring, but not in such a "messy" way that I've done on this card.
This is another creation that I made for my Online Card Class.  We are working on getting some "optical illusion" on our one layer cards.  So hopefully it looks like I have this girl painting with a model of a teddy bear across the room propped up on a pile of books.  I was struggling trying to find the right stamps to achieve the look that I needed for this technique. (The teddy bear is from an old Belles 'n' Whistles stamp set and the pile of books stamp is unknown.)  Since my mom is a painter, I made this one of her birthday and she's already received it, so I can go ahead and post it.

I do love these Sarah Kay stamps and don't get to use them very often.  I have NEVER used one in this style of card before, but I thought it was fun to create a "washed out" water-color look to the images.  I also have taken my watercolor brush and tapped it to achieve the grayish looking water drops you see in the background.  I've also added a strip of washi tape along the top of the card.

And speaking of Sarah Kay, don't forget that I'm offering up a special one in my blog candy until the end of March if you'd like to enter for a chance to win!  - CLICK HERE TO ENTER!


I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:
Card Makin Mamas - see below logo...

Stampin' for the Weekend - anything goes
CAS on Sunday - One Layer Wonder

I finally trying to get back into some more challenge blogs!  If you know of any good challenges that don't require you use a certain product name/brand, please let me know!
--------------------------

I've had someone ask me about the class that I'm taking and it's called
I think there is still time to join in if you don't mind being a tad bit behind with it...but I'm sure that I am behind in some of the classes!  I'm working on Day 2 for this card and we are getting ready to start day 7 for the classes!! LOL!  So I have some things to catch up on, but the classes come with printable instructions and videos that you can go back to as many times as you'd like even after the classes are over!  You'll always have access to them which I think is wonderful!
So click on the logo above if you want more details about the classes they offer!

Now I go back to school again and see what's on the agenda for today!! :)
I appreciate you stopping by for a look!!  I'll be around soon to see what you are all up to!!

HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*


38 comments:

vicki said...

Hi vicki wow I love this card! Especially as it's one layer your colouring is fab!!!!
Hugs
Vic x

bumblebee creations said...

ohhhh....this is just gorgeous Vicky!! I love those stamps!!

Suman Pandit said...

Beautiful water color card, love how you have given depth tothe card, such a special card for an Artist !!

ribenaruby said...

Great card Vicki, love SK...and your card is adorable! Ruby x

Shirley said...

Hey you, she is just so darn cute! Love the whole layout and wow on getting the stamps to coordinate!! Perfect!!!

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card love both the images and water-colouring,love the muted colours
carol x

Olga said...

Absolutley gorgeous!!! I always get to much water ..........
your's looks amazing!!

Sue said...

This is fabulous Vicki. I love the way you have placed the images and your colouring is beautiful.
hugs Sue xx

Donna Mosley said...

Beautiful card Vicki, love your gorgeous water colouring hun.

Donna x

Deb said...

oh wow, this is so clever Vicki, love the sweet scene you created!
Debxx

Rhonda Miller said...

This is beautiful. I love the coloring and the one layer effect.

Sue said...

Nice job Vicki, this is hard to do and it looks great. Love the little girl so sweet.

Hugs
Sue

Amy Johnson said...

This is fabulous! I love the washed out look to the card.

aussie aNNie said...

Turned out wonderful I am trying to use pencils and water or blenders now as think they make the card origional....fab take and love the stamp..xx

Phi said...

Beautiful card you made with this technique Vicki. I love your choice of stamps.

Jennifer said...

This is so very lovely! Wonderful colouring on this!

julieprice3 said...

What a pretty scene, very sweet
Hugs julie P

debby4000 said...

Oh this is so cute
luv
Debby

downrightcrafty said...

wow gorgeous love this so fabulous
Hugs Kate xx

nwilliams6 said...

Vicki, this is so darling! What a totally fun image! I love it! Sweet soft coloring too. How super if you are taking classes - like you need a class - you could be teaching the class! Hugz!

Teresa said...

Gorgeous card Vicki, beautiful image too. xxx

Shelly said...

WOW! This is amazing! :) Love! Thanks for playing with us at CAS on Sunday!

MiamiKel said...

I love this!!! You took a chance and it just brilliantly brightens up your blog! This is over the top fresh and fun - keep on with it, this is absolutely wonderful! ♥

Beth said...

What a darling image and yes I think you did capture what was in your lesson beautifully done my friend I love it.
Hugs

Tammy said...

Gorgeous card Vicki! I love the images and your watercoloring looks beautiful!!
Hugs, Tammy

NanaConnie said...

I'm loving your 'messy' watercoloring on this card, Vicki! You definitely accomplished the depth in the scene. Wonderful!

Julia Aston said...

Wow - this is great Vicki! I think you are putting your lesson to good work! I've seen so many bloggers taking this course!

Davi said...

Your class sounds wonderful Vicki, so many cool things you are doing! I think you were very successful and creating the illusion of the little guy across the room. The soft watercolor and sweet images really make a Beautiful scene:) I love it!!

Eulanda said...

awww wow just adorable!!! Love the painting of the bear too. CUTE! Hugs!

jimlynn said...

WOW!!! This is awesome! Love everything about it. You can really see the depth on this. Great water coloring!
Lynn

Ellen Taylor said...

Fabulous pairing of stamps Vicki and a great showcase of creating depth! Bet your Mom loved this!!

Donna said...

A really beautiful and sweet card Vicki, love the little scene you've created and your colouring is perfect :) Donna ♥ x

Lola said...

Your card is striking! Yes, I can see the depth. And I really like the coloring technique you used. I bet your mother loved it!! BTW, my mom started taking painting classes so maybe she will be an artist like yours someday.

Patti said...

Awww sweet card for your Mom. No wonder you are so talented!! your Mom is an artist too : )

I had not realized you were taking the classes I thought you were teaching! disregard all my previous rambling and whining about not getting to take classes from you LOL

Del said...

Beautiful CAS card. Your colouring is perfect. Thanks for joining us at Stampin For The Weekend and Good Luck! xx

Regina said...

hi, Vicki
now your coloration is perfect! Every beginning is hard!
I love Sarah Kay images too!
hugs Regina

Marg said...

Lovely card, thanks for joining us at Stampin For The Weekend
{{{hugs}}}
Marg (DT member) ;) x

bumblebee creations said...

How did I miss that? Thanks for the info on the class!! Hope your back is better Vicki!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...