"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

Flash Back Friday Fun!

Hello friends!  Welcome to the weekend! YAY!
I sure am ready to spend some time with my family this weekend, it's always fun to share time with the boys in their lives as they get older.  I know hubby had a cold work week and is ready to sleep in and be warm watching some football...so that is what is going to be happening for me over the weekend!  I do hope to sneak in some crafty time though! :)

So I thought it would be something really fun to start on my blog every Friday and do a "Flashback Friday" posting where I share creations I made using some older stamps/stash that I have and "bring them up-to-date" so to speak.  I always seem to have such a LARGE collection of stamps and then I love them and want to hoard them so it becomes a bit difficult to "get rid" of them.  As soon as I do this, I always wish I had them back!! LOL!  Anybody else ever feel that way?  It's a love/hate relationship with me and my stamp collection really!  I love them when I'm using them, but then struggle when I see something new and want to buy that too! LOL!

So...in order to control a bit of getting in the "buying habit" I'd like to break, I thought it would be fun to pull out my older stamps and have a play with them so I don't feel so bad about holding onto them!  And if you'd like to join me here on Fridays, I will share various things from my collection and share with you how I've brought it to "current" standards...or HOPEFULLY I will complete that task! :)

So are you ready to get started with me this week?  We'll call this "Flashback Friday #01"
Not sure if any of you remember this stamp set:
This is called "Sketch It" by Stampin' Up! and I was a Stampin' Up! demo when I got this set and I know that it was very popular during the 2001 time period because I sold TONS of them!  I think one of those reasons was because it's so versatile!  I know that it retired in 2007 and I really haven't seen much done with it in years!  I actually think that the "sketchy" look has come back into style and after I started playing with this again, I got excited about all the different ways I could use this!  It just screams out "EMBOSS ME"!  Although I didn't do that on my card today, I think it needs to be used again with that in mind! LOL!!  (Gosh, you can tell it's old...look at the plastic box!! LOL!)

So here's what I did decide to do with this set which was exciting for me to pull out again as I don't think that I've ever used this stamp set in this way....
So what I've done is take that smaller leaf shown in the bottom right of the photo and drew a circle with my pencil and began to repeatedly stamp it with the green colors to make a wreath.  Although there is already a wreath image in the set, I really liked how the leaves made this full green wreath design.  I also added some dots of water on it with my brush in certain areas to make the ink bleed a bit.  I also sprayed the cream panel with my gold spritz and it looks so shimmery IRL!  I then stamped the bow from the set in brown ink at the top of the wreath and also stamped the "Thanks!" with brown ink below that.  I die cut this cream panel out with my Lawn Fawn stitched rectangle die and matted it on top of a green panel and then mounted that onto a brown card base.
Lastly, I added some gold sequins over top of the wreath to give it a little something extra.

So I hope you've enjoyed my card for today and I if you have any older stamps that you've pulled out to play with, I'd love to see what you've done!  Just leave your link in the comments and I'll come check it out! :)

I do hope you're excited about this "Flashback Friday" series as I am and I hope you'll come back and join me here again every Friday!!  I wish you all a joyous weekend!!


-----------------------------------
CLICK HERE to check out my crafty stash for sell!

HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

Here are some challenges I'd like to enter this card for:
Retro Rubber - color combo *This is a new challenge blog! Check it out!*



The Paper Players (PP222) - thank you



Shopping Our Stash (SOS178) - Thankful (I used old stamps)

38 comments:

Carla S. said...

Beautiful card, Vicki! Great way to use an older stamp set! It turned out wonderfully! Have a nice weekend! Hugs!

Becca Cruger said...

AWESOME! I'm going to just love Flashback Friday, I can already tell.

Margreet said...

Good job Vicki...will remember this 'technique'...and maybe when I have some spare time....curious what you make next Flashback Friday!
Enjoy your weekend!
xxx Margreet

Donna said...

Great use of the stamp set! Thanks for joining the Shopping Our Stash crew this week for our "Thankful" challenge!

necgmc said...

What a great little card, full of details, beautifully created. Glad you are joining us at Retro Rubber. Your flashback Fridays will fit perfectly with our RRCB!

jimlynn said...

Vicki, it's BEAUTIFUL!!! Love the way you used that stamp and those wonderful colors! Outstanding!!!
I have several of the stamps from that set that were given to me by a friend, but don't remember seeing that one you used today. Guess I'll have to start digging around and see what I have too just for fun. Great idea for a Friday card.
Lynn

Sue said...

This is gorgeous Vicki. A fabulous design and I love the festive colours.
I hope you have a good weekend.
hugs Sue xx

stampwithsandy said...

Love how you created this beautiful wreath, Vicki! I also love seeing older stamp sets "come out to play". Thanks for playing along with us this week at The Paper Players!

Deepti said...

Such a cool wreath! Greens look amazing

julieprice3 said...

A Great idea for a Christmas card, it's good to see some older stamps used, I must get back to doing that, Have a wonderful weekend Hugs Julie P

Shelly said...

Well, I'm lovin' this Flashback Friday thing!...I may have to pull out some old stamps, myself! ;) Your card is so sweet! Love your wreath!

Patti J said...

What a fun way to use that stamp! I think I shall love this new Friday fun! Hugs...

Jane Knudsen said...

Thank you for playing along with Retro Rubber! I think your card is fab! I love taking pieces of a stamp set and making something unexpected with them!

Andrea W said...

Terrific stamping! I really like how you made the wreath. I can definitely see why you kept this stamp set. So glad you shared your creation at The Paper Players.

Regina said...


Vicki, that's a fab idea! Your card is simply fabulous! Less is definitely more.
wish you a wonderful weekend with your family!
Regina

Toni said...

Clever idea!

aussie aNNie said...

Cool bring it on Vickie, Flashback Friday will be looked forward to...Love the Lawn Fawn die, am trying to get this one over here ....no success as yet...
Stunning creation and love the beautiful colours used.
aNNie xx


The Journey is the Start

Pollard Carole said...

So creative this is just fabulous love it Love and hugs Carole x

crafty-stamper said...

Brilliant idea and love the wreath made up of the small stamp-and what a great idea for friday might see a few of us join you next week :)
Carol x

kellyscreativecorner.com said...

Vicki, I love the idea of "Flashback Friday"! I thought about doing that as well or "Throwback Thursday" and then I came across the opportunity to be on the design team for the Retro Rubber Challenge Blog and it satisfied my need to bring new life into my old stamps and products. You are so creative to use the leaf for the wreath instead of the image of the sketched wreath! The sequins on your wreath and the stitching from your embossing folder around the edges add nice touches to your card! Thank you for playing along with our color challenge at Retro Rubber. It's great to see you back for our 2nd challenge.

Stef H said...

genius! absolute genius!

have a great holiday!

hugs :)

Becky said...

What a great idea Vicki, I too have stamps that I have rarely used or never used, I think I need to go dust some of them off and start using them. It is hard when you see so many new images that are a must have and then not always using them.
Hope you got my email?? I got my stamps yesterday. Thanks :)

coldwaters2 said...

Oh Vicki you are so inspirational what a brilliant way to use your old stamp set, I think there are many of us with the same love/hate relationship, I know it is so hard to get rid of the older stamps I have thought about it several times but just cannot part with them, I love how you have created the wreath it looks fantastic.
hugs
lorraine x

Katy McGloin said...

Very cool way to build your wreath! Am so glad others are loving their older sets. Thanks for including the RRBC in your stamping fun this week!

Beth said...

Girlfriend that is gorgeous and such a simple card amazing what you can do with a stamp....love it.
Hugs

Rhonda Miller said...

I love this. What a fun way to use the stamp set.

Miriam Prantner said...

What a great way to create a wreath! This is lovely!

Donna said...

Gorgeous card, like how you used the water and gold spritz!

Tammy said...

Gorgeous Christmas card Vicki! I love how you've created the wreath and the added sequins are a perfect touch!!
Big hugs, Tammy

Monika Reeck said...

yes I can see the plastic box it is old stamp but it is still great to use and I love your idea to make wreath with that stamp adorable color combo and I love the add of the sequin on there...wonderful THANKS card Vicki...

Are you okay I hope you are not ill...I miss you from my last TAG post..normally Vicki already there...LOL..but hope you are not ill and you only busy with family,..wishing you have a great weekend and now I am off it is 23:20 my shoulder pain to wrote to all my blogland friends LOL..now I go to bed Vicki...hugs, Monika

Lynn McAuley said...

I remember this set, but I have never seen it used like this!! I love your gorgeous and unique Christmas wreath, Vicki!! Beautiful work!!

Sue said...

Had to laugh at this post, I too hate parting with any of my stamps. I open drawers and find things I haven't used in years, but still love, so I close the drawer. You did a great job updating the look of this stamp set.

Hugs
Sue

Asha said...

That is a super idea, Vicki! I suffer from the same affliction and I'm fast running out of room. LOL. Love what you've done with these stamps more than a decade on. Versatile they sure are!
hugs, Asha

nwilliams6 said...

This was my very first stamp set ever and I still have it! I totally love what you did with this leaf stamp - I am going to try it too. Your card is fabulous and it makes me want to look at this set in a new way too. Thanks for sharing my sweet friend! Hugz - extra ones today!

Christine Traversa said...

So pretty!

Hammers said...

Love this card Vicki, it's perfect. I really like that stamp set - I'm a bit jealous, it is screaming watercolour me..to me :) Thanks for playing at Retro Rubber this week. Cx Retro Rubber DT.

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

oh my goodness! I love this! What a cool wreath this makes!

Patricia St Martin said...

Beautiful stamp set and I loved the way you used it. I have one that is pretty close, I going to have to try that stamping with the different colors. Great idea.
Hugs, Pat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...