"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Pages

Friday, November 28, 2014

Flashback Friday - Embossing is Back!

Hello friends!
Are you out and about on "Black Friday"?!  I do not DARE go out in that mess!
I pretty much have half of my presents bought, I just need to really work on my cards now so that I can get them sent out before too long and move on with the New Year! :)

Today for Flashback Friday, I'm bringing back embossing!  You remember when you first started out stamping and that embossing made you go 'oooh' and 'ahhh' when it was heated up! LOL!
I find that people still seem to love it just the same right now.

So here's an old Stampin' Up! stamp set I pulled out from 2004 called "Yule Bits & Borders".  It has been retired since 2007, but I had a look at it from my stash and saw that it was a great set to use for embossing!  Here's what the entire stamp set looks like:
 And believe it or not, I only used that little star for my main image!  For my sentiment, I did use a partial from the wording stamp, but nothing else!  So maybe I'll have another play with it soon....

Here's the card I made:
I fell in love with the warm, "home-made" look of this set and then riffling through my patterned papers and what else did I find but MORE old and un-used stuff!! LOL!!  Does anyone out there even remember these papers?  These are also from Stampin' Up! and they are not the double-sided type.  I remember long ago they came out around Christmas time and I had to buy them up...and stock up on them too of course! LOL!

So for this card, I pulled out my Night of Navy card stock and embossed the star with silver embossing powder on it.  I also took a portion of the wordy stamp and used it to create the greeting in the bottom corner of my card.  It's also embossed with silver embossing powder.  I used a fun sketch I found from a challenge which helped to use up these old papers and then I threaded some silver ribbon through the top of the embossed star to give it a look of an ornament and then added some silver sequins to dress it up a bit and make it more "trendy".

So what do you say?!!  Want to pull out your old stash of stamps and have a play?!
If you'd like to play along with me, just pull out some older stamps you may have and add some embossing to it!
Kick the tires and light some fires crafty friends!!  I'd love to see what you come up with from your old crafty stash!! :)

Just leave me a comment below with a link to your creation so I can come and see it!!

Thanks so much for stopping in with me today and if you are out and about, please be careful!
Hope you enjoy your weekend!!!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

Here are the challenges I'd like to enter this card for:
Sketch Saturday:

The Pink Elephant (TPE278) - anything goes
Top Tip Tuesday - Buttons or Bows

33 comments:

Bad Kitty said...

very nice card

Dr Sonia S V said...

Loved the way you really stitched that card!!!
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts Kids Projects

Margreet said...

Gorgeous Vicki!

Donna said...

Gorgeous card! It is perfect for the sketch, Sketch Saturday is one of my favorites!

MiamiKel said...

Gorgeous!!! What a fun color combo for a holiday card - so unique! I put together a card last week and this sketch is almost similar! GMTA! ♥

jimlynn said...

How fun to bring out old images and make them into pretty cards like this. It shines for sure!!! Love the way you used the star on this beauty.
Lynn

Sue said...

This is gorgeous Vicki. I love the design, beautiful colours and a great use of the sketch.
hugs Sue xx

coldwaters2 said...

Oh I really like this card a lot Vicki the colours and design are fabby
hugs
lorraine x

Pollard Carole said...

Just gorgeous. I love heat embossing but do not do it often enough although I do use frantage regularly .Just made some heat embossed sentiments for candles they'll be on my blog shortly love and hugs Carole x

Kristie W. said...

This is really cute, Vicki! The star looks great embossed. I would have thought you stamped those papers!

I was one of those Black Friday shoppers, out last night and then again this morning but we missed most of the crowds!

Samantha said...

Great to see a loved stamp used! great card, Thanks for Playing along with us this time at Top Tip Tuesday Challenge, hugs Samantha :0)

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely colour combinations here and gorgeous design AND another lovely set of stamps used.xx

The Journey is the Start

Patti J said...

I still love to heat emboss! Beautiful card, Vicki! Thanks for sharing :-) love the sketch too!

nwilliams6 said...

This is a cute old set and you freshened it up well! Your card is wonderful and I love that sketch. Fun Friday thing you are doing. I went out in the mess but went at 10:00 - after all the craziness. Still got some good deals and had fun with my Mom and girls. Hugz

Tammy said...

Beautiful card Vicki!! I love the colors and that fabulous embossed star!
Big hugs, Tammy

Céline said...

gorgeous, love the layout
hugs
céline

julieprice3 said...

Nice work Vicki, pretty design
Hugs Julie P

Regina said...

Vicki, this card is fabulous! So colourful!

sending hugs and smiles
Regina

Shelly Schmidt said...

This card is just fab! I wish I could play- no time to join in this week.

Patricia St Martin said...

I never go shopping on Black Friday.
Just a darling card.
Hugs, Pat

Vannessa said...

Great card. I like the bright colours you used and the silver embossing looks great on them. Thank you for joining in the Sketch Saturday challenge this time.

Hugs, Vannessa
Sketch Saturday DT

Jessi Fogan said...

What a great way to make a small stamp the centrepiece! Love the ribbon!

Asha said...

Really beautiful ... the embossing and distressed edges make a perfect pair!
hugs, Asha

Shelly said...

Super sweet! Love the blocks of color!

NanaConnie said...

Beautifully done and such a great use of that sketch! I've been trying to figure out what to do with it and now I have some great inspiration. :-D

Pat (mspfd) said...

Fabulous colors and design! The star just pops off the page. I also love it when I used old and forgotten items in my stash.

Pat (mspfd) said...

Fabulous colors and design! The star just pops off the page. I also love it when I used old and forgotten items in my stash.

Deepti said...

Fabulous design :)

Beth said...

cute card Vicki and great job with the sketch.
Hugs

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card Vicki love the layout and selection of papers and of course the embossed star-we tend to forget techniques and move on to the next trend -but nice to go back sometimes
carol x

JD/ Jill said...

Cute card!

Monika Reeck said...

clever used of that star stamp Vicki and I am sorry just visiting you now :) adorable colors too..hugs, Monika

Schnipsel und MEHR said...

That´s a really great christmas card, love the non-traditional colours you have used. Thank you so much for joining our challenge at TopTipTuesday, hope we see you again.
xoxo Clarissa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...