"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Friday, January 9, 2015

Flashback Friday - Challenge + video!

Hello friends and happy Friday to ya! :)

I have to say that this cold weather is really doing a number on my power line connections!  I keep getting bumped off my server and I know a utility power pole is marked for replacement that hooks up to my house.  Too bad they couldn't have done it before the cold set in!

Anyway, today starts the beginning of CHALLENGES for "Flashback Friday"!! Yay!

I have been contacted by a couple of my blog readers asking about making my Flashback Friday posts part of a challenge.  So I'm feeling that others struggle with the same concern with your over-crowded stamps and stash that you've had for years but just can't seem to part with! :)
I'm not sure how this will go, but before I start offering prizes and such, I would like to see how many people will be joining along with me each week!  So please be sure to let others know if this is something you think someone else would like!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So for the "Flashback Friday" challenge THIS week,
since it is the start of winter and we're in the month of January, what better time to play with:
SNOWFLAKES and/or SNOWMEN!!
-------------------------------------
The "Flashback" stash I've chosen to work with for today is:
The Snowflake Spot - from Stampin' Up! retired circa 2007
This had been a favorite of mine as I thought it was so delicate looking with several possibilities!
The thing that I love about snowflakes is that you don't have to use them just for Christmas!

So I've tried to "modernize" this set with something that seems to be really popular right now which is the watercoloring!  Until recently, I haven't really done too much of it, so I thought I'd give it another go using one of my older stamps!  Here's my result:
I've made this a one-layer card, which is something that seems to be popular right now as well.
I embossed the largest snowflake and used my reinkers to watercolor over it which made the white embossed snowflake really pop out on the white card.
The watercoloring was done with 110# card stock and it seemed to really soak in the water, so you have to be careful with what card stock you are using for it.  I also tried it again with some watercolor paper with a little bit different result as you will see below.

So in order to show you how I achieved this watercolor look, I thought I'd share this video with you:
(If you want to watch this in full HD version, you can go directly to You Tube to watch it as well.  CLICK HERE.)

And to share some "Flashback" inspiration with you, I actually have a couple of photos of some creations I made "back in the day" with this same stamp set!  Thanks to my good old Splitcoast Stampers account, they were still there! LOL!!  So here is some additional "Flashbacks" for you with this same stamp set:
(Not a great photo, but I remember using my brayer for this one!  Taken circa 2007?)

This one was taken circa 2006.  I remember making 50 of these pocket cards for a swap! LOL!

----------------------------

And of course here's my "up-to-date" version of this same stamp set:
Here are the results side by side using the 110# card stock (which really soaks in the water) and on the right is the watercolor paper.  You can see that it takes the water a little better than the first, but I really wanted to make a one layer design with it.  So you can decide what you like best for yourself.  I just had fun playing around with it! :)

I hope you will join me this week by pulling out your old stamp stash of snowflakes and/or snowmen!  Just add it to the linky tool below when you are ready to share!  I can't wait to see what's lurking around in your stash and how you bring it "up-to-date" with your new design!!
Thanks so much for dropping in and have a wonderful weekend my friends!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

Here are a couple of other challenges I'd like to enter my one-layer watercolored snowflake card for:

Happy Little Stampers - CAS challenge (I used watercolor with reinkers)

Happy Little Stampers - Sketch Challenge Jan.

Top Tip Tuesday - Keep it Simple
Clear it Out - Theme:  Anything Goes - Stash:  Anything Goes
Crafty Gals Corner - anything goes + blog hop (NEW challenge)
Crafting By Designs - anything goes
Melonheadz Friends - Include a snowflake (thanks Margareet! :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


39 comments:

Julie B said...

What a fun idea, I must go hunting in the dark recesses of my cupboards!

Asha said...

This is soooooo clever, Vicki! I struggle with OLCs (and a whole list of other techniques too). This is just awesome. Thanks for this wonderful video tutorial.
hugs, Asha

Becca Cruger said...

AHHH-mazing! That big snowflake is so delicate. I love the idea of Flashback Friday!! Sharing your old cards is a great idea, but how fun to pull out the old stamp set, too, and breathe new life into it!

Becky said...

Your cards are gorgeous! I have this set and haven't used it yet :).. But now I will.

Elaine Stark said...

Stunningly simple. I love the colours. Thanks for joining Top Tip Tuesday. Elaine

Margreet said...

Gorgeous cards Vicki....I love snowstars so much, however I am not able to join your challenge, as I am going tomorrow to the real snowstars in Switzerland!!
xxx Margreet

Bad Kitty said...

Gorgeous cards

Samantha A. said...

What a fantastic technique! I will be watching the video and attempting my own soon enough! Thanks for playing along this week at Crafty Gals Corner!
-Samantha
Crafty Gals Corner - DT Coordinator
Crafty Gals Corner

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Both gorgeous cards Vicki! LOVE the watercolourings! Hazel x

jimlynn said...

Vicki, they're all just beautiful! I LOVE that stamp set and the snowflake is a gorgeous one. You updated it just perfect with the watercoloring too! Beautiful!
Lynn

MiamiKel said...

How absolutely beautiful, Vicki! I love your look to these cards, so delightful each and every one and yet so different! I did this challenge two years ago with my old SU stamp sets calling it my personal "Use 'em or lose 'em!" challenge and let me just say, it's wonderful!! It's like something old is new again and so much fun to play with again after dusting it off! I"m so glad you are getting to use your 'new' toys! :)

And stay warm! ♥

Desire Fourie said...

A stunning series of snowflake designs.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

Julie B said...

Thanks for the lovely comments Vicki. Donkey's years ago is probably an English term that just means a long time ago, sometimes abbreviated to just donkey's!No idea where the saying came from. :)

Sue said...

Such a gorgeous selection of cards Vicki. The snowflakes are so pretty and delicate. I love your designs and beautiful colours too.
I hope you have a good weekend.
hugs Sue xx

Loll Thompson said...

Great video Vicki. I've never tried using watercolouring on white cardstock ... always use w/c paper. This turned out so well, now I have to try that :) Beautiful card and easy technique ... love the combination of colours behind your gorgeous snowflake image. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Happy Little Stampers! :) Loll xx

Donna said...

These are all fabulous, thanks for this great tutorial!

Monika Reeck said...

I think...you are great too at making CAS card yeahhhh I love that color combo and great video too Vicki....I adore that oh so lovely Snowflakes in BIG shape and the one you made 2007 in Pink you made your own DP too yeah chherrssss I like to do that too.. and the 50 pocket cards..simple but lovely idea with that tiny button on it...great Idea Vicki..I think I will join your challenge too...its a great way to use again our old stamp..big hugs...Monika

Tammy said...

Beautiful cards but I especially like the current card, such pretty colors! Good luck with your new challenge!

Tammy said...

WOW Vicki, all of your snowflake cards are GORGEOUS!! I love the colors on the watercolored card, fabulous tutorial too! I hope you have a wonderful weekend my friend!
Big hugs, Tammy

Shelly said...

Fabulous snowflake cards!!! I tend to use both kinds of papers, as well. Just depends what I'm going for. ;) And how fun is it, that you are starting this into a challenge! Hmmm...I'm gonna have to go through my stash and see if I have anything. ;)

Patricia St Martin said...

What a great idea to and I love the idea of doing something new. Your card turned out just a darling. I would love to join you in your challenge. I will see what I can try to get together. This should be a lot of fun.
Hugs, Pat/♥

coldwaters2 said...

I love your modern take on the snowflake Vicki that watercolouring looks so.......can I say organic that is the word that just flashed into my mind, I used to do a lot of watercolouring when I first started rubber stamping but not any more must try to rectify that some time in the future, I love seeing the flashbacks creation that pink one is gorgeous and I love the design of the blue one. Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog Vicki they are so uplifting, have a lovely weekend
hugs
lorraine x

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful stamp/image used on this equally as beautiful card. Loved your video and I may, maybe, try and do something.xxx

{The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

Donna said...

Stunning cards Vicki, love these colours together and the CAS designs are fabulous, especially the 2nd card with the lilac mat...looks so elegant! :) Donna ♥ x

Céline said...

stunning card Vicki
hugs
céline

Brenda said...

Vicki, this your cards are both simply beautiful. You've got CAS down! Thanks for joining use at Top Tip Tuesday!

Kylie said...

Great technique and it looks amazing on your cards! Great colours and love the embossed snowflake. I also love that you made it into a birthday card! Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers xx

Karen Mead said...

Love your beautiful snowflake cards Vicki and the colours are so pretty:)Hugs xx

JD/ Jill said...

All pretty cards...

Lynn's Place said...

Thanks for playing along with us @ CIO challenge blog...stop by and play with us again <((><
Great project you have entered :)

nwilliams6 said...

Vicki- you make all these old stamp sets look new again. Wow - these are some great cards. I wish I had that set! Hugz

lostinpaper said...

What a gorgeous card and a great video, thanks for sharing!

Barbara Godden said...

I have that set and love it, I must try the watercolouring on it, gorgeous card. thanks for playing along with us at CIO for the anything goes challenge.

Rhonda Miller said...

What a fun challenge idea. I'll have to dig through my stamps and see what I can find.

I love your cards.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Love the watercolored effect- and your Flashback cards. I love the idea of the flashback posts- I will try to play along....but I will come look see even if I cannot play along : )

Beth said...

fabulous challenge Vicki may have to play along I have so many Stampin-up stamps that hardly ever or never get used.
Oh BTW love your card.
Hugs!

crafty-stamper said...

Been waiting to join your Friday flashback and would you believe I don't own any snowflake or snowmen stamps just digis !!!love your cards and great watercolour technique
carol x

NanaConnie said...

Gorgeous card, Vicki!

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

WOW! These are so creative and BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you for participating in the MelonHeadz Friends "Add a Snowflake" Challenge!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...