"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Friday, February 6, 2015

Flashback Friday - It's ONLY Words

Hello friends and a happy Friday to ya!
I'm here to start up another challenge today...are you ready?!


Before we get to the challenge, please be sure to CLICK HERE to see who last week's "Flashback Favorites" were or you can scroll down to the post below.

So for this week the theme is:
It's ONLY Words!
Of course it means exactly what it says - make your sentiment or word(s) the FOCAL of your design! - be sure to tell me what "old stash" you've used  
(Do you have an old sentiment/word sticker, paper with wording/sentiment on it, sentiment or word stamp, embellishment of any kind with a sentiment or word on it  that is a year or older?  - then pull that out from your stash and USE IT!!)
 TIME TO HAVE FUN FUN FUN!!!
---------------------------------------------------

For all of my creations today, I have pulled out this particular stamp set that I've had for a couple of years now.  I must REALLY love it because I find myself pulling it out several times and using it.  It wasn't very hard to find creations that I made with it either.  Here's the set I used:
This is called "Feel Goods" by Stampin' Up!
Now this is not an unbelievably old set and it's still currently available and not retired, but I got it when it first came out a few years back.  I believe it came out in 2013ish?

I really love the sentiments in this and they are the perfect sentiments to have as the focal point of your card design.  So of course I tried out this fun technique with it today....
I have always wanted to try this out using this particular stamp, but of course it got pushed aside and I never did try it until I pulled it out for today's challenge!
I made my own "stencil" with my Cricut machine by finding a cut-out sun design with it.  I used the negative from it and sponged a couple of different colors of yellow ink as well as along the edges of my vanilla card base.  I then kept the stencil on it and used my VersaMark ink pad (That thing has seen better days!  It's so old I've got glitter sticking to it!! LOL!) and inked up every other 'sun ray' and then took some Iridescent Ice embossing powder to emboss it with.  (This is EP that is clear, but has some sparkle to it...it looks so sparkly IRL!)

I then just used my markers to ink up the sentiment so that the "sunshine" word was inked with yellow ink.  I also went over the "sunshine" word with my yellow metallic gel pen...it's hard to see in the photo.  I rounded the corners and popped it up over the sunshine rays.  Then I found an enamel yellow heart that I've had for a couple of years as well to add for an accent.
And I've already sent this one out!

Here are some challenges I'd like to enter the above card for:
1.  Happy Little Stampers CAS - embossing

2.  Loves Rubber Stamps - anything goes

3.  Shopping Our Stash - "Getting Inky" -use oldest ink

4.  CASology - hot

5.  Clear It Out - anything goes


------------------------------------------
Here are some more creations I found using this same set:
I've always loved "dressing up" my sentiments with things like faux stitching...it just really makes it stand out nicely! (circa 2013)


And of course using different shapes to cut out the sentiment is a great way to make it the center of attention to your design too! (circa 2013)


I also love using papers and adding accents to go along with your focal point like the ribbon along the side and the butterflies on and off of the focal panel.  (circa 2013)

So what do you say?!  Are you ready to play?!
Remember....It's ONLY Words!!!! :)  I can't wait to see what you come up with!
Be sure to enter your creation below with InLinkz before the deadline!

Thanks so much for joining me today!!  Hope you have a great weekend!
-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*


42 comments:

Margreet said...

Beautiful card with beautiful words Vicki...your 'older' cards are gorgeous too!
Have a wonderful weekend!
xxx Margreet

Bad Kitty said...

Beautiful card

Becky said...

Is it Friday already!!! I was going to do the last challenge, time sure flies. Gorgeous cards.

Sue said...

Vicki you clever girl you, making your own stencil. Love the rays of sunlight and the sentiment is perfect too.

HUgs
Sue

Amy Johnson said...

What a fun challenge and gorgeous cards. I especially love the first one. Can't wait till i have time to play along!

Donna said...

Fab cards Vicki! Thanks for joining the Shopping Our Stash crew this week for our "Gettin' Inky" challenge!!

Emily Lauritzen said...

Love the simple design! The rays are the perfect way to get the focus on the sentiment!!! Awesome card!
<3 Emily L.

Donna K said...

these are all fantastic, vicki! i love these uplifting sentiments and especially how you created the sunshine rays for your first design. spectacular! hope you have a great weekend! xx donna k

Becca Cruger said...

Loooooove that bright burst! Oh it's just so perfect and really does highlight your sentiment perfectly!

Basement Stamper said...

I love how your sun shines on this page-goes perfectly with your sentiment. Very cool!

Asha said...

A fabulous burst of sunshine. I can only imagine how sparkly ad shiny it must look IRL.
hugs, Asha

Asha said...

A fabulous burst of sunshine. I can only imagine how sparkly ad shiny it must look IRL.
hugs, Asha

jimlynn said...

Vicki, all of these are just beautiful! I love the first one with the sun rays and shine! Great sentiment stamp and wonderful cards!
Lynn

Chrissy said...

A gorgeous card Vicki and I love the sentiment and amazing golden sunshine background..beautiful.

luv CHRISSYxx

Stamping Smiles Designs said...

Love your card that you created for this challenge!!! The background is perfect for the sentiment! The sparkling glitter is a plus! Just awesome, Vicki!! I also am enjoying all the older cards you've shared using the same stamp sets. Have a wonderful weekend!

Sue said...

Your cards are so beautiful Vicki. I LOVE those sentiments, it's one of the nicest sets I have seen and your designs showcase them perfectly.
I hope you have a good weekend.
hugs Sue xx

Holly Young said...

All of your cards are so well put together - meaning you have a way of arranging all the pieces to look good to the eye. I love the 2nd card the best - the papers are so pretty, and I really like the piercing you did. Thanks for visiting my blog today - it's good to be back in blogland. I've been out of it for a while!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

All lovelya cards Vicki, you have such a good eye1 Hazel x

Tammy said...

Gorgeous card Vicki! I love the bright yellow colors and the beautiful sun rays you've created!! Fabulous older cards too!
Hugs, Tammy

coldwaters2 said...

Oh Vicki these are all so very beautiful the sentiments, colours and designs are all superb I especially love that ray of sunshine.
hugs
lorraine x

Alanna said...

All of your cards are gorgeous using this set.

Loll Thompson said...

Such a fun and cheerful card Vicki! Love the embossing on every other ray ... really adds lots of sparkle. Thanks for playing along at Happy Little Stampers! xx

Tammy said...

Ahh, thank you so much for liking me card, I appreciate the honor! Beautiful cards and great layouts, colors and wonderful sentiments! This challenge might require a real dig!

JD/ Jill said...

WOW! All of these cards are so well done.
As I'm sure you have noticed when visiting my blog...I love quotes! So I really like it when a quote or sentiment is the focal part of a card!

Judy1223 said...

Vicki, I love all of your cards! I really love the sun rays and the glittery rays. The faux stitching around the sentiment is brilliant -- I must remember to do that! Thanks for joining us at CASology this week!

Rhonda Miller said...

I love this theme and think I have a few stamps I could use. Your card is fabulous.

aussie aNNie said...

Stunning and love them all, the sentiments on the cards are gorgeous.xx

{The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

These are so pretty! I really love the sunshine and added sparkle!

Stamping With Bibiana said...

yes we all have soooo many stamps , great saying I have that set too never used it LOL. love all the cards
hugs bibiana

Bastelkueken`s Kreative Welt said...

Wow Vicki...your cards are so fantastic and wonderful....

Hugs
Anja

Kylie said...

You have showcased this set to perfection. I love all your cards. The sunburst is so beautiful with the added glitter! Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers xx

Chana said...

Each and every project is beautifully crafted! Thanks for playing along with us this week at Shopping Our Stash!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, DT

Pat (mspfd) said...

Wow, each card in your flashback collection is outstanding, Vicki! Awesome work, my friend!!

Shelly said...

Ooooh, awesome card! Love your other ones, as well! ;)

Jessi Fogan said...

Sometimes those techniques are just waiting for the right project! This is absolutely gorgeous Vicki, so bright & cheery :) And wooohoooo, I played along before the last day!

Monika Reeck said...

I love all sentiment on your card the card with sunshine I adore the shiny on it and I love the add of faux stitching to decorate your sentiment Vicki...all are adorable card..hugs, Monika

Rebecca Billard said...

Beautiful cards! My favorite is the sun rays! Love all of the sentiments! Thanks for joining us this week at Loves Rubberstamps! Rebecca

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful cards love the sunshine rays and I have the perfect stamp for this challenge :)
Carol x

Marcy said...

Pretty cards! Thanks for joining the Loves Rubberstamps challenge this week!

Chris D. said...

Love that sunburst (and it's home made too!), and that you heat embossed every other beam. What a beautiful sentiment and card! Thanks for joining us this week at Shopping Our Stash!

Jen W. said...

A fabulous collection of sentiments, Vicki! Love the two colours on the first sentiment and the sparkly sun rays! Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

LeAnne said...

I just love all your sentiments, but the sunshiney one is definitely my favorite!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...