"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Valentine "Do Over"

Hello friends!
Posting something a bit different today...I struggled a bit! :)
I have done a "Valentine Re-do" card!  Have you ever seen a card you had done in the past and thought you wish you could do a "do over" on it?!!  I sure have!

I am being a bit brave here with this, but this is an OLD card that I had made back in 2007:
I took a look at this and thought...WOW...what in the world was I thinking?!!
I wanted to go back in time in 2007 and say..."Vicki, sometimes less is more!"  LOL!  Of course at the time I thought it was "neat" to use green, blue and black for a Valentine creation I guess?! hmmm......
So, I said that THIS card really needed to be deleted all together...
BUT, I decided that I would be brave and post a "re-do" card and bring it up-to-date:
I think this is a bit better now! :)
I've had this fun photo-polymer stamp set from Stampin' Up! (Countless Sayings) for a couple of years and wanted to pull it out again to make another Valentine's card before we get there in a couple of days.
I've stamped the lettering and colored it in with my Copic markers.  (The Copic colors look a bit brighter in the photo than what it really is.) The tiny solid hearts were randomly stamped on both panels with Pink Pirouette ink.  I've layered the 'sweet' sentiment onto a Smoky Slate card stock piece and popped it up over a couple of corner pieces of metallic gold card stock.  I stamped the 'love' and the three tiny hearts with Smoky Slate.  It looks like the '...' after a phrase so I'm putting a special message inside for my Valentine! :)

I like that this one is much more simple in design and there's not as much "going on" like the previous old card has on it!!  I took away the ribbon on the panel along with the extra layer of card stock and instead of the three punched circles, I decided to add my additional sentiment at the bottom.  And instead of stamping the entire background with a background stamp, I have just randomly stamped some hearts here and there.
MUCH BETTER, RIGHT?!!

So this is all I wanted to share with you today!
This one would actually work for my CURRENT Flashback Friday challenge which is "It's ONLY Words" because I've kept the "sweet" word as my focal of the design!
If you haven't played along with the current challenge yet, there is still time left to enter if you want to add yours!  Just CLICK HERE to see the details!

Thanks so much for stopping in today!!  Happy to have you here!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

Here are the challenges that I'd like to enter my CURRENT "Sweet" card for:

Retro Rubber - Valentine "Re-Do"


CAS-ology - Love


Nacho Average Challenge - color combo


The Pink Elephant (TPE285) - Be My Valentine

46 comments:

Olga said...

these are all gorgeous, love the sweet!!!!!

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely cards Vicki and great 're-do' on them...love both here...xx{The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

LeAnne said...

LOL....I don't think it's THAT ugly, but I do like your new card much better! Actually, I think those little peekaboo circles and hearts are cute! But your new card is definitely SWEET! Love the colors too....somehow I missed that challenge, hopefully I can come up with something because I love those colors together!

Stef H said...

as always.... FABULOUS!
i cannot believe you struggled with that do over card? you? never happen!
it's stunning!

hugs :)

Becky said...

This is a sweet card Vicki. Love the sentiment. I have the very first card I made, What a mess :)..

Davi said...

I did like the blues on your first one Vicki :) The Sentiment make a Great focus for the card with the sweet little hearts Very pretty redo!!

Donna said...

These are both gorgeous cards Vicki, like the nontraditional blue but also really like the "sweet" especially the shadowing!

jimlynn said...

Great re-do on that card Vicki! Love the big Sweet sentiment and the random hearts!
Lynn

Bad Kitty said...

very pretty

Margreet said...

Love your new card....but the old one was great too (our style has been changed through the years)!
xxx Margreet

Susanne Vargas said...

What a fabulous re-do! Love that sentiment and how you colored it in!

coldwaters2 said...

I like the first one Vicki but I must admit the second one really pops the lettering really stands out I love the small pink hearts and gold corners a super, super make.
hugs
lorraine x

Sue said...

What a fabulous idea to 're-do' one of your old cards.
The card you made in 2007 is far better than my attempts at that time which I would never be brave enough to show! Your new card is stunning, a gorgeous design and beautiful colours.
hugs Sue xx

Becca Cruger said...

It's so much fun to look back at our old designs and see how we used to craft and the products we used to be madly in love with. I love the update with it's bright pinks and golds. Gorgeous!

Lola said...

I love it! And yes, I often ask myself what the heck was going on in my head, but we all go through phases and changes. It really is so awesome to see "before" and "after."

JD/ Jill said...

Both are cute...but I have to be honest and tell you that I like the second one better. I still have one of the very first challenge cards that I entered. I cringe when I look at it now. The thing about it is...When I posted it for the challenge. I received a lot of nice comments on it. Now I know they were just being nice...(greatful for nice people...smile.)

Tammy said...

I like them both but I really like the first one! Guess I'm in the more is better camp!

NanaConnie said...

Oooo, I love the texture of the "do-over," Vicki! And I admit that I like the red sentiment better than the blue and green of the old one. I hate going back and looking at old cards. They all seem so stale and I have that same "What was I thinking" reaction you mentioned. :-D

Holly Young said...

I still really like your first card, but the do over is nice too. And blue for valentines is a nice change of pace! You are too hard on your older (or rather younger) self!

Dawn Frost said...

I think both cards are perfect Vicky!

debby4000 said...

I love your old card and your new they are both fabulous.
luv
Debby

Lynn McAuley said...

I love the redo, Vicky! What a sweet valentine, indeed!

MiamiKel said...

I actually love your first card :) It's so soft and serene! I'm a big fan of non traditional colored cards though, color me crazy! The 're-do' is equally gorgeous - great job on both!
A few years ago, I did a series of posts on throwing back and using up old stamps, best time EVER in crafting! Wish I had the time to dabble again! :)
x0

Christine Traversa said...

love both cards! thanks for playing!

Katy McGloin said...

Vicki, your remade card is very lovely! The original one was very much the style in 2007. Papercrafting certainly has progressed especially recently. Thank you for playing along with RRBC this week. I hope to see you here often!

Céline said...

really fab !!
hugs
céline

Tammy said...

Beautiful re-do Vicki!! I love the CAS design and the tiny stamped hearts!!
Hugs, Tammy

Debbie Mageed said...

I love that Countless Sayings stamp set and you used it beautifully. Your older card is definitely not bad but agree that our styles certainly change over time. Mine sure has! Thank you for joining us at Retro Rubber and hope you will play with us again soon.

Shelly said...

Brave indeed, Vicki! lol Though, I'm sure we all been there...you gotta start somewhere, right?! ;) Your old one is still cute to me and your new one is pretty darn SWEET! ;) Thanks for sharing.

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

oh I love the font on the Sweet sentiment! Great colors too!

Neva Cole said...

The update version and colors are wonderful. The old version is great, and shows a difference in your style from then and now. Thank you for joining us at RRCB!

Miriam Prantner said...

Love your revamped card! I really like the big sentiment and those gold corners.

Jessi Fogan said...

Re-dos are so challenging - especially the REALLY old stuff. Sometimes looking at those I want to track down the people who got them and take them back! I love the updated card - that big ol' word is perfect!

Deepti said...

Beautiful!

Rhonda Miller said...

I love your do over. It's beautiful.

Kathya said...

Very pretty card Vicki. Thanks for joining us at Nacho Average Challenges this week.

Tammy Fite said...

I actually like the "old" card!! But, the new is gorgeous!!! Love the sentiment as the focal point! Thanks for playing along with the nachos this week!

kellyscreativecorner.com said...

Hi Vicki! So glad that you continue to play along with us. I love your card for the "do-over" challenge... in fact, I'm with Tammy, the 2007 version isn't so bad either :-)

Yapha said...

What a fun idea to do a card makeover! Great do-over! Thanks for joining us at Nacho Average Challenges!

Monika Reeck said...

this really a great version on your older card looks more bright with that red sentiment and oh sweeeet tiny heart on it..love your SWEET Card Vicki...great CAS card again

Jane Knudsen said...

I do know what you mean! Your remake is so beautiful. You really turned your card into clean and simple! Thanks for playing along with Retro Rubber!

Judy1223 said...

What a great idea to have a "re-do" of an older card...I LOVE the coloring and shading on your new card's sentiment...so pretty and fun! Thanks for joining us at CASology!

Jen W. said...

Love your "re-do" card, Vicki! The way you highlighted the sentiment and the pops of gold at the corners are just perfect! Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

Asha said...

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes when I look at my old cards.... eeek! Cringeworthy! Your re-do is FAB! You've come a long way since 2007... quite the pro now! Congrats!
hugs, Asha

Christy Lynn said...

I like the idea of going back to an old card and updating it with your current style. Thanks for playing along with the Nacho color challenge this week!

Anne Hayward said...

Really like the updated version! Great job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...