"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Flower Die Cutting Class Cards

Hello friends!  Welcome to the weekend!
I can't believe it's Saturday already! This week has really flown by!
I'm going to be busy the next couple of days and before I get started on my new day of class learning, (we are on day 6 and I've only finished up day 2! yikes!) I wanted to post the projects I've done in my second day of class...yeah, I'm a bit behind! LOL!!  I really want to concentrate on what I'm learning here and take my time so I don't forget and then not finish it up...which I've done before! :(

Anyway, for Day 2 Class of "Stretch Your Dies" Online Card Classes,
we are focusing on using those flower dies!  Now I do love flowers, but I didn't realize that I don't have a whole lot of them.  There may be "repeats" of some of the flowers you see...maybe not recognizable because of the way I've used them though...I hope! :)
This is my version of what Kristina Werner taught in class:
Although this is as simple as it looks, it was actually the HARDEST of all of these to do! ACK!  I think if I were to do this again, I would choose some flowers that are a bit more solid without any details in them!  It seemed like it took forever to get all of that foam tape on the back of each little piece to pop up the design!

The flowers were water-colored, die cut and then I cut them out of a larger heart shaped die cut.  (Hopefully you can see the heart shape!)  I then die cut the sentiment in metallic silver and attached over top of that.  Simple looking, but it took FOREVER!! LOL!!

Here's a closer look at the dimension on the flowers so you can see what I'm talking about!
I had a hard time trying to tuck the foam tape far enough in so it doesn't show through...some does, but it's not REAL noticeable.
Needless to say, this going to be a special thank you card for someone! :)  LOL!
She also did one with leaves which I really liked, but after going through this one, I just couldn't bring myself to tough it out! LOL!  Perhaps later! :)
------------------------------------

This is my version of what Jennifer McGuire taught in class:
I really enjoyed this one and loved her layout so much with the sparkle paper, so I took out a REALLY old sunflower die cut set that I have NEVER used and added some color to it and popped it up on top of each other to give some dimension.
I used my Distress Inks with my foam blending ink tool to add the color.  I also die cut the sentiment out with the same yellow sparkle paper.

Here you can better see the dimension I got with the flower by popping it up with some foam tape and bending and shaping it how I wanted it to look.

I also took my Wink of Stella pen to go over the flower petals and then I took some glossy accents to cover the center of the flower.  When it was half-way dry, I took a pin and poked some holes in to give it that look.  This was much easier to do than the first card...even though it may not look like it at all!!  Just because something is CAS...doesn't necessarily mean that it was just slapped together! LOL!
So now I feel like I want to add the word "sunshine" underneath the hello because of this bright and beautiful yellow sunflower design! :)
----------------------------------

And last but not least I've made a card with my version of Yana Smakula's technique in class:
This is actually a really clever idea and I don't know why I didn't think to use my die cuts as a background before!  Usually you die cut your shape and use it.  For this idea, you used your die cut to create a background and then back it up with some paper.  I look how it turned out!
For her card, she didn't add the flowers over top like I did, but I couldn't help it, I really felt they needed to be popped up on the design! ;)

For my sentiment, it's a bit faded because I accidentally grabbed the clear EP instead of the white!  But after looking at it, I thought it looked good because it was a bit softer looking and not so starch on the dark card stock.

I actually do not have time to go through to see if these will fit into any challenges right now!  I'm off to have my dog get her chiropractic care done, I have to make some cupcakes for my son and of course I have badly neglected my house-hold duties!  I really hope to have a bit of time this afternoon for a play, but I can't promise anything! :)

Thanks so much for checking in with me today!!
Enjoy your weekend!!!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*


32 comments:

Becky said...

Good morning Vicki.. It sounds like you are having fun taking this class. Your cards are fabulous. Love that sunflower, all that beautiful yellow and sparkle reminds me of sunshine.. Where here, it is snowing again :)

MiamiKel said...

Oh my stars, this makes my head spin just looking it ! wow! This must have taken forever!
What incredible design and dimension - this card class looks like it's a lot of fun! You're doing great!

Donna said...

These are fabulous, the dimension is amazing, love them all!

Penny Odell said...

Vicki your cards are so beautiful!!! I couldn't wait to see what you made and learned in class so far. What fabulous ideas. I can't choose a favorite, because they are all fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing your class experience. It has been awesome so far. I can't wait to see what you make next!!! Hugggs

Sarah said...

These are amazing Vicki and really take die cutting to the next level!! xx

coldwaters2 said...

WOW Vicki these are all spectacular, what gorgeous designs and die cuts you have used, it has been such a pleasure to visit and see your amazing work with die cuts, magic.
hugs
lorraine x

Chrissy said...

Gorgeous collection Vicki..love the beautiful sunflower..3 stunners.

luv CHRISSYxx

Tracey said...

Beautiful cards Vicki & looks like you've learned some really useful techniques :o)
Hugs
Tracey
xx

Miriam Prantner said...

Gorgeous cards! I really want to try that first technique, but haven't had time to play this week...hopefully tonight!

Sue said...

Such a wonderful selection of cards Vicki. Your designs are gorgeous and I love the colours too.
hugs Sue xx

Pollard Carole said...

Brilliant Vicki you are certainly getting some great ideas I love the dies you used love and hugs Carole x

Tammy said...

Each card is absolutely sensational! You are really kicking it up a notch with the classes!

Pat (mspfd) said...

Wow, all three of these cards are dynamite! Love the sunflower! What a clever idea to repeatedly stick pin in the center of the flower before the glossy accents dry. Love the look it gives.

All three of your cards are filled with fresh ideas that look fabulous. Definitely am going to have to take this class next time it's available.

Becca Cruger said...

AAAhhhhhhh <--- squealed in a high pitched voice. These are so amazing!! I am IN LOVE with that middle one, which I've pinned for future reference. I love the way you created the glossy center. Looks like this class was worth it!

alexandra s.m. said...

What a treat your cards are Vicki!
I love them all, you can do pretty much anything and it always turns out to be strikingly beautiful!
Happy Sunday ;)

Jessi Fogan said...

ERMAGERD! That first card is stunning! I can just imagine how long it took. And the sparkly sunflower, ohhhh! How clever to add the pricks in the glossy accents, it looks amazing. And that last one - holy moly. I'd never thought to try that either & it's so neat!!

Stef H said...

i can't believe you find any crafting hard! these are just gorgeous! you rocked that 1st card.

i think i have the most of flowers. it alone takes up one entire photo box - stamps, stencils, dies - yep, the entire box!

next is birthday and that's mostly because i do birthday for the church and i need at least 15-25 each month. sheesh... but i love doing it.

hope the snow is lite and doesn't stay more than 24 hours. i think spring is finally here.

have a great week.

hugs :)

CaroleAnn said...

I can tell from your cards that you are really enjoying your classes and learning so much! I loved all of them but the last one - using your die cuts for backgrounds - what an idea!!!! Hugs

Céline said...

wow wow wow!!! amazing !!!
love especially le third one
hugs
céline

Bad Kitty said...

very pretty

Patricia St Martin said...

I love that you are sharing you class ideas with us. These are all so awesome. Would never of thought of these ideas. Your first one does not look simple, it looks like a lot of work??? But you 2nd one I just love and you colors are wonderful. 3rd one is another one I just love and love the choice of colors.You did a wonderful job.
Hugs, Pat/♥

Monika Reeck said...

VICKI
surely they are adorable all the first one love that thanks in silver so shiny and nice colored the heart flowers the second one ooh I remember that glitter paper from you íts adorable on your card here and the middle of the flower oooh I loove your idea the last card is elegant
LOVELY POST my friend
and see you soon on my Blog I know you are busy with family at weekend but I have my hubby he took care the kids I can make 5 cards hehehe
hugs, Monika

Tammy said...

Gorgeous cards Vicki!! I absolutely love the sunflower card, fabulous colors and beautiful sparkle!
Hugs, Tammy

Lynn McAuley said...

What exquisite creations, Vicki! Absolutely gorgeous!

Patti J said...

Vicki, these are incredible - sounds like you're enjoying the class! Tee hee...also sounds like we are each behind on things at home :) Hugs...

Chasing the Dream said...

OMG, what fun you are having. These are beauties are gorgeous, fab colors and designs. I know I will be casing you last. So creative. Love them all though
Hugs
Berni

Beth said...

GF the are all gorgeous the heart shaped flowers very unique and my absolute favorite is the sunflower beautifully done.
Hugs

Bożena Adamusińska said...

The extraordinary card. Watercolouring beautiful, nice idea with the submission of the heart of the smaller elements. I am delighted with this card.
Regards,
Bozena

Andrene Smith said...

Beautiful watercolor patterns in the flowers and the silver sentiment is perfect! Your sunflower card is stunning!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

these are all so beautiful!!!

Lola said...

Wow! All I can say is all of these are WAY impressive!

Patti said...

OMGosh Vicki! this is so amazing!! may I please CASE this heart shaped flower arrangement! what a brilliant idea! I love this look! : )

I recently saw on Laura Bassen's blog that she attaches the cs to foam and THEN runs the cs and foam together through her die cutting machine. Smart cookie huh!? I have not tried it yet but with small pieces like this it might be easier!

Patti

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...