"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Working on Die Cutting...

Hello friends!
Here to share some things that I've been working on!
I have been taking the Online Card Class called
I have so many dies and some are brand new and some are REALLY old.  Of course I like to get as much use out of my craft stash as I can and I thought this would be a good way to get me to use my dies some more!  So here are some things I've made for my Day 1 class: (I'm so behind as we are on "Day 3" today and I only just signed up yesterday! LOL!)

The first card was inspired by a Jennifer McGuire class video:
I have used lots of different fun foam for this card.  The background was just made with the same die cut you see in black and I didn't use the fun foam for that.  There is lots of dimension this on this card and I like the way it turned out!  The flower dies are something that I've never used, but have been in my stash for years!  (The sentiment die and lines are by SU! and the flower dies are Magnolia Doo Hickeys.)

Here's an angle view so you can see the dimension up close:
 I also used more fun foam to pop up the white panel on my card for a nice even pop of dimension.
I embossed the lines on black card stock at the bottom and the gold strip is a metallic sticker on the white panel.  I built my dies up from there.


Card two features a fun closure inspired by Julie Ebersole:
The closure is what really makes this a fun card!  It took me a couple of tries to figure out what in the world I was doing, but I got it eventually! :)  LOL!  She just made it look so easy!
The top of the card folds down and the die cut word acts as a closure to keep the card in place.
I didn't have any tall block word dies, but that would be best to use for this type of technique.
Letter dies would work nice too, but of course I had neither!  Hard to believe, I know!
All the stamps and die cut here are from Whimsy Stamps.

and of course here's what the view of the card looks like open:
I think this is so fun and hope to try out another one again soon! :)


So for my last card I was inspired by Debby Hughes inlay design:
Based on the die cuts I own for sentiment dies, I wanted something a bit more playful than the elegant design that Debby showed in her video.  So I can't think of anything more playful than the fun Lawn Fawn stamps and dies!!
My die cut was a little bit more bold than the one she used and it was a bit easier for me to paper piece the different paper designs back into my die.  The "hello" sentiment die was cut with white card stock and placed in there among the two different patterned papers also from Lawn Fawn and of course I took the negative pieces from the patterned paper to pop back into the design around the die cut sentiment.  The birds were stamped directly on top of the patterned paper and colored in.
I embossed the feathers as well as the "friend" sentiment with gold EP onto a piece of white card stock that I turned into a banner along the edge with the stitch marks in it.
I used some distress inks to go along the edges of the patterned paper base as well as the banner and over top of the feathers to give it a distressed look.  I also popped up the edges of the "friend" banner and have used distress ink along the edges of that as well.
I do love the distress look and was hoping to fit it in with my card making today.

Thanks so much for stopping in!  Hope you've enjoyed my card share today and I'm sure I'll be back again soon with more!!  Enjoy your day!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*


Here are some challenges I'd like to enter:
Use Your Stuff - Create Your Own Background (thanks card)
Shopping Our Stash - "I made this" - create your own background (thanks card)

House of Cards - enamel dots (sweet card)

Lawnscaping Challenge - distress (hello friend card)


54 comments:

SonjaK said...

Three great cards, Vicki! The first one is my color favorite. The last one I love because of the inlayed technique. I'm always amazed by it. I'll really have to try it myself.

Margreet said...

Fabulous cards Vicki....you showed us some great techniques!
xxx Margreet

Emily Lauritzen said...

These are so cute! This looks like an awesome class! Always love seeing new uses for die cuts :)
<3 Emily L.

Tammy said...

Each card is amazing and you've made great use on the class tips! Glad you are enjoying the class, me too!

coldwaters2 said...

WOW Vicki these three cards are absolutely fantastic, I especially love the pretty colours and flower on the first, the second one is delicious both inside and out, the third is just so darn cute and totally adorable, I love all of them, excellent makes
hugs
lorraine x

Sue said...

Such a wonderful selection of cards using such a great variety of techniques. It sounds like you are really getting a lot out of the class and by sharing your designs you are inspiring other too - me included!
hugs Sue xx

Julie B said...

What a fab selection of cards Vicki. love the thanks one, might get the funky foam out of the bottom drawer and have a play!

Bad Kitty said...

Fabulous cards

Shelly said...

Each card is wonderful, Vicki! Some cool techniques, too! ;)

LeAnne said...

These are AMAZING! Love them all! I really need to try that inlay technique!

Tammy said...

WOW Vicki all of these are awesome!! I love how you've used foam on your first card- fantastic dimension!! AND the inlay card is so cute!
Big hugs, Tammy

Lori said...

I love all of these cards! I have been obsessed with die cuts lately as well - they are just so much fun. Love that you cut fun foam with them - I will have to remember that. Thanks so much for joining in our challenge this week at Use Your Stuff!
Lori - UYSDT

Monika Reeck said...

Lucky Vicki you have so many adorable DIE
the THANKS one is cool and fun and I love the layout so adorable made my friend and the SWEET card oh I love how you made opening for the card and that SWEET polkadot paper ooh I love it and the las LF cute birdie tooo cute for words...love them all and want to have them all hehe Joke...
you are soo busy with three cards...
I made only one today hehe
hugs, Monika

JD/ Jill said...

Wow! It sure looks like you have learned a lot from your class already. Really neat cards! Thanks for sharing.

Patti J said...

You are so awesome! Great cards, each one! The class sounds like fun :-) Hugs!

Amanda said...

All of these are wonderful! Thanks for joining us this week at Use Your Stuff!

Becky said...

What awesome cards! Glad your enjoy this class.

debby4000 said...

They all fabulous, I've taken the class thinking I would have time to make the cards but best laid plans and all that.
luv
Debby

Deepti Stephens said...

Pretty sweet cards. Love them Vicki.. :)

Asha said...

Awesome cards, my friend! bet you're top of the class! :)
hugs, Asha

Alanna said...

Fabulous cards Vicki. I especially love the first one and how those flowers jump off the page.

Davi said...

Gosh Vicki I love love each of these creations!! What a very cool class to show you so many different ideas :)

NanaConnie said...

I never thought about cutting Fun Foam with dies but I'll be trying that now that you've inspired me, Vicki. Wonderful fancy fold on the birthday card, but the inlaid design on the third card just blows me away! I definitely have to try that. Incredible work!

Lynn McAuley said...

These are fabulous, Vicki! I love all the many different ways you have incorporated your die cuts in these wonderful designs!

Lee-Anne said...

You've turned out some beautiful cards from that class, Vicki! Looks like you are having fun too!

Chana said...

So nicely done! Thanks for playiing along with us this week at Shopping Our Stash! Great Background!
Hugz,
Chana, DT

Lola said...

ALL of these techniques seem so fun and challenging. Going to bookmark this post to hopefully learn these. All beauties!

Samantha Casey said...

Wow oh Wow! These cards are amazing, you are so creative! Thanks so much for playing the Lawnscaping Challenge!
-Samantha

Céline said...

i admire all your c&s cards. the first one is so beautiful, love the use of foam
on the others love the design and use of dies
hugs
céline

Donna said...

Vicki, these are amazing. So glad you shared these, they are fabulous!

Pollard Carole said...

just brilliant we do neglect our craft stuff You just reminded me I have this magnolia die and I loved it when I bought it so I now need to resurrect it The cards are all fab love and hugs Carole x

Patricia St Martin said...

Look at you go my friend all these creative thing to share. The foam I like the way it puffs back up.
Love the way you used the word sweet and the way the card front slips behind the word is so awesome.
I think I like this one most. Great way you use the work to add it back into the card. Thanks for all these wonderful creative ideas.
Hugs, Pat/♥

MiamiKel said...

WOOOOOOOOOW! I'm absolutely blown away by each of these, Vicki! I am in love with your use of color, the elements, the brilliant designs! Each one is just superb - looks like a fun class, and I'm LOL at you being behind on day 3 - LOL!! Great job all around! ♥

Chrissy said...

Three stunners Vicki..sounds like a fun class..

luv CHRISSYxx

aussie aNNie said...

Great cards Cinderella, love the use of your dies...xx{The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

Mynn Kitchen said...

Vicki, these are SO CUTE! I LOVE the bright colors you used on the first, and the lovely pastels on the second! Those birdies make me smile, too. :) Thanks for joining us at House of Cards! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

Susan (rainy) said...

What a wonderful post with 3 fabulous cards showing some creative and fun ways to use dies!! Love it. TFS!!

Shirl said...

Your foam flowers are just devine as is the background you have created for our challenge over at Use Your Stuff. Thanks DT Shirl

Stef H said...

you are a GENIUS! i love the 1st card and the other 2 are absolutely FAB-U-LOUS. i'll take this weather, even if it is a bit cool. at least the blinds are opened up!

have a great weekend.

hugs :)

Chasing the Dream said...

OMG, just love what you created. My fave is the 1st card. Fab technique and stretching those dies. I wish I have the time to take the class. In the home stretch for my trip. Have a fab day and even better weekend,
Hugs
Berni

Cindy Beach said...

Hey Vicki,
these are great cards showcasing the techniques beautifully!!
I am loving all of them but the sweet card is absolutely amazing! Fabulous design.
Hugs~

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

oh these are awesome! I really love the white on white with the top card and dies, and then that third one is so cool how the die goes through two papers! Can't wait to see more!

Shirley said...

Great to be back hopping and see your fabulous cards again. I love each of the techniques you featured on each card and I am going to try them. Love how you used the die for embossing and for inlaid too! The fold looks like fun!

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Oh these are all so very cute!

crafty-stamper said...

All fabulous cards love the die-cuts and techniques -love the middle one
carol x

Rhonda Miller said...

I love these cards and your creative uses of the dies.

Miriam Prantner said...

You are rocking this class! Great cards, really love how the foam pieces turned out!

alexandra s.m. said...

You have such a way with dies!
Beautiful cards Vicki!

Jessi Fogan said...

Vicki these are just incredible! This sounds like a class I could probably use :)

Beth said...

awesome cards Vicki looks like you are having lots of fun with this class.
Hugs

Beth said...

awesome cards Vicki looks like you are having lots of fun with this class.
Hugs

jenn shurkus said...

beautiful! i love them all :) i cant wait to try that technique from julie as well- you rocked it! thank you for playing a long with us at lawnscaping challenge!

Tamara said...

Love all of your cards!!
Thanks for playing with us at Lawnscaping 
Hope to see you again next challenge
Xx Tamara

Ruza Rebel said...

Such a lovely collection of cards Vicki! Thank you for joining our Enamel Dots Challenge at the House of Cards.
Ruza ~ HOC-Designer
Ruza's Craft Corner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...