"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Working with Basic Shape die cuts - Class Projects

Hello friends!
Wow!  Welcome to the middle of the week already!  This month is really flying by for me!
I had actually wanted to post yesterday afternoon, but with so many other things going on with me at the moment, I just didn't make it!  So here I am this morning!
I will probably be "Post Bombing" you within the next few days so that I can finish up my class projects as I need to post them to class before the deadline ends.

So of course, I have more to share with you for today! :)
OK...this is DAY 3 of 7!  (Boy do I have a long way to go or what?!)  LOL!

My first card was actually so much fun!  I enjoyed putting this little scene together:
OK, so here's what the card looks like when it's shut.  I didn't really have a "closure" for this, but the sentiment panel in the front helps to keep it contained anyway.
I have used this REALLY fun stamp set from The Alley Way Stamps called Stomper.
I die cut a green panel from the same die shape that I've used for the window of the card and embossed the sentiment in white EP and then took my green gel pen to color in the center of it.
I masked the shape for the inside of the card to create the blue background you see behind the animals.  I also took a foot print from the set to add to the outside design.  (You've not supposed to be able to see the crack, but I had to lay it flat to photograph it otherwise it would pop open even more.

So here's what the inside looks like:
Now how cute is that?!  When you open it up, you can see the entire scene on the inside.  I've colored everything in and masked it to create some depth and make a fun scene.
I thought this was such a cute idea from class!

I would also like to add this particular card to the following:
TAWS March link up

Papertake Weekly - A Cut Above (using die cuts)
------------------------------------

And for my second card:
I took the MFT Stitched Rounded Rectangle Stax dies and embossed it (NOT die cut) to make this a one layer design.  I also created a mask so that I could make the cloud scene that this little girl is standing in.  The word bubble die comes from Simon Says Stamp and of course the stamps and coordinating dies are from Mama Elephant.

Here's a closer look at the details:
After stamping the hearts, I took some glossy accents and went over them to make them shine.
Everything was colored with my Copic markers and I used distress inks and my own hand made stencils to create the background.  You can also see that this is embossed into the card front and not die cut out.  (Not sure if you want to call the other die cuts as part of being a one layer, but I do!)
---------------------------------------------------------

And lastly, here's my third class project for DAY 3:
This one may not be as obvious when you first look at it, but this is why I have that black arrow element pointing down on my design here. :)
I used MFT Stitched Circles Stax to create a "flap" and also as part of the design elements on the front of my card.  The Arrows come from a die cut by Lawn Fawn and the hearts come from a Simon Says Stamp set as well as the papers.  The light bulb image comes from a SU! set.  I have colored it with my Copic markers and covered the light bulb with some glossy accents.

When you pull up on the light bulb circle panel, here's what happens:
There is a special message on the inside of the card that you can see when you open the flap!
This was stamped from the same SU! stamp set as the light bulb on the front.

So there are my interpretations of the Day 3 of class and I will be back again today to share some more!  Until then, thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!!
So sorry for not being around, but I will catch up soon, I promise! :)

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*


18 comments:

Dana said...

oh my, Vicki!! These are adorable! I especially love your TAWS card!! Such a fabulous scene, your die cutting and coloring are awesome!!!

Emily Lauritzen said...

Vicki these are so cute! So much fun with die cute! I love the little dinosaur scene! Totally stole my heart :)
<3 Emily L.

Sarah said...

These are brilliant examples of die use Vicki, love the simply embossed on, never thought of that!! xx

Becky said...

These are awesome Vicki! Your dinosaurs are adorable.

Olga said...

These are all fantastic!!

Pollard Carole said...

These are brilliant so inventive love the shapes and ideas some amazing designs Love and hugs Carole x

Sue said...

WOW! you have been busy Vicki! Such a wonderful selection of cards today, I love them all.
Thank you for the inspiration!
hugs Sue xx

coldwaters2 said...

Wow Vicki you are doing so well with your class projects these are all top notch, the first one is such a fun one I really like how the card opens, the second is so cute, the third one is also superb, excellent work.
hugs
lorraine x

Donna said...

These are fabulous, the scenes are grea and the third card is adorable, like the lift up!

Elizabeth Sarkisyan said...

Wow! Saw your card over on the OCC gallery and thought is was adorable. Actually, all of them are super cute.

Shelly Schmidt said...

This is so fun- love the flap on the front of the card- and the arrows are a cool accent- the DP is great!

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

OMGosh these are all so cute!

*Alison* said...

This is so much fun!!!! I LOVE seeing people use their TAWS stamps.. Keep them coming :)
HUGS
Ali-TAWS Owner

Monika Reeck said...

OH MY GOD!!!the first card tooo cuuuteeeee love the scene here and if my son see this he will scream Vicki..he is fan of DINO...luv the scene and the sponging in the first card... second one love the scene too and nice sponging cloud..cutie pie card... the third one so bright and happy card Vicki love the opening there and nice sequin you have I have only sequin in green and red haha I never buy it only if friend send it then I have...its not cheaper in Germany..
Love your post here...hugs
Monika

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

I just finished another set of lightbulb cards this morning. Boy, your idea is super and when I do some more, I will be casing this idea. How am I missing so many of your posts? I must recheck my subscription.

Jessi Fogan said...

I feel like all my comments are going to include ERMAGERD because ERMAGERD!!! Vicki, you have absolutely rocked these! Those dinos - love the little scene and the footprints going across the front. And the embossed panel on the second card - genius. You made those stencils? WOW!! and the lightbulb card is just too dang sweet. I love them all!!!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

I LOVE these!!! And the fact that they are interactive makes them even cooler!

Lola said...

ALL of these are so clever! And of course, your use of stamps and inks really make them shine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...