"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Pages

Friday, May 1, 2015

An OLD Bird!

Yay!  Happy Friday friends!! :)
We are also starting a new month in May!  Awesome!
This next month promises to be a very busy month for me!  Hubby is home for the time being and we are working on things around the house and I also have my littlest one graduating!  So it will be touch and go for me during this month!  Hopefully I'll still find some time to play!

If you are used to seeing my posts go up a tad bit earlier...then you are right, I'm a bit late this morning, but I got it up!!  Ran out of time to finish up my blog post to schedule it yesterday! :)

Anyway, I have a really fun card that I put together for you today:
LOL!!  I just LOVE the look of the eyeballs on this bird!!  I've had so much fun with this set from The Alley Ways Stamps called Birds of a Feather.  (Speaking of TAWS...they just had a new release and have come out with some fun underwater critters too!)
The tag that I've created above his head was actually computer generated by me because I didn't have a stamp to say what I wanted for my card.  I printed it out on the computer and then die cut the stitched circle and used a tag topper die cut to make a tag out of it and pop it up on my design with some gold cord.  The bird was colored with my Copic markers and I've popped him up on that banner you see covered with some washi tape and a strip of gold dazzles sticker.

And in case you can't see this in the above photo...
This is a "see-through" card!  I've used my stitched circles to make frames with some gold card stock as well as a circle frame with black card stock to attach to the circle die cut on my card front.
The bird, washi tape banner and circle tag are all popped up along the edges of the circle opening in my card.  I can't believe I've not attempted one of these before, but I like the idea!

And because this is a "see-through" card, I've had to strategically stamp my inside greeting:
This fun greeting actually came from the stamp set I stamped the bird with...so it works perfectly with my design of course and I wanted to get that in there! :)

And here's a close look at the details of my "old bird":
As mentioned above, I colored my bird with Copic markers in shades of black and gray.  I wanted to keep the bird white and so I went around the areas with that in the lightest gray tones.  Coloring him with the black and grays make him look more like an "old bird"! LOL!  I've also covered those funny "surprised" looking eyeballs with some glossy accents.  The only other finishing touch I gave to this card was the black enamel dots.

Of course the back side of the bird and the edge of the tag show through to the other side of the card, but it's the inside of the card and when the recipient opens it, I'm thinking they are looking at the greeting and not thinking..."GOSH!  She made such a messy backing on that!"  LOL!  The front of the card and the inside greeting is what is most important to me when making a card.  What do you think?  Do you worry about what someone sees on your hand-made cards?  Just curious! :)

I sure had fun with this one!  Hope you've enjoyed it!!
And to give you an idea of what I'm going to be working with next, I have just recently received some really fun goodies to play with....
Yay!!!  So check out that doxie set!!!  I couldn't RESIST snatching up that one from the new release Newton's Nook just had!!  I think all of these look like SO MUCH fun and I can't wait to have a play with them all!  So which set do YOU want to see me use?!!  (Of course they come neatly wrapped with that twine, which I'll need to use on one of my cards as well!) :)

Thanks so much for stopping by!!  I appreciate your visit and hope you'll come again to see what else I'm creating over here!!  Enjoy your weekend!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

Here are some fun challenges I'd like to enter my card for:

1.  Addicted to CAS - code word:

2.  AAA Cards - There's a hole in my card!

3.  Sweet Sunday Sketch (SSSC266)


4.  Cardz 4 Guyz - Flight


5.  The Male Room - birds


6.  Less is More - Recipe:  include a tag

7.  The Alley Way Stamps - monthly link up

53 comments:

Donna K said...

May is a slam packed month for me as well, Vicki. How exciting that you are celebrating a graduation though. Congratulations on that!! I love this funny little bird, such a cute expression and my the layout is nice! Great little card to start out the month with! Happy May lady! Hope you have a great weekend.

Donna said...

Great card Vicki, like your design and colors and the peak at what is coming up! Donna

Stamping Smiles Designs said...

Lol! That bird has such a cute expression! I love his funny eyes too!

May is a busy month for me too, mostly for work. And, I can't wait to see what you'll create with those Newton's Nook goodies!

coldwaters2 said...

Brilliant card and tag Vicki loving that Owl, smashing creation.
hugs
lorraine x

Pollard Carole said...

Brilliant its just great an what a great idea for that sentiment brilliant card love and hugs Carole x

Margreet said...

This is so gorgeous Vicki...love that stamp!!
xxx Margreet

Tammy said...

This is so cute Vicki! I love that little owl and your fabulous window design!! Enjoy your weekend my friend!
Hugs, Tammy

Lola said...

Love the cut out! Adds so much to your cute little bird.

Alanna said...

This sure brought a smile to my face Vicki. The face on the bird is just priceless.

Have fun with your new goodies. I haven't yet purchased anything with Newton's Nook but am thinking I should. :)

Chrissy said...

Such a fun and clever card Vicki..love the bird with his glossy eyes and his sentiment..fabulous.

luv CHRISSYxx

SonjaK said...

This is so cute! Your card just made me smile broadly.

Becca Cruger said...

Hahah - this bird's expression is priceless and the perfect fit for that sentiment. And a pun inside, too?! It couldn't get any better.

Chrissie said...

This is absolutely stunning Vicki, but sadly you have linked it to too many challenges for us at LIM where we allow a maximum of five which may be combined!
DO join us again!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Monika Reeck said...

YOU DID IT AGAIN
clever card Vicki and I love that cute bird and the eyes you made and the tiny tag and the hole on your card and the black and gold
CLEVER WAY TO COMBO all the challenge
I want to make black and gold too for card but no idea and no die cut machine also no card with Hole on my paper haha..love your idea this is a cutee card from you I love..
and please make card with that Flower set Vicki..I know you are great at making flower cards..
Hugs and happy weekend sweet friend
Monika

Sheri (a.k.a PaperCrafty) said...

What a fun card!

JD/ Jill said...

That is such an adorable card! made with a really fun image! thanks for sharing!
And thank you for the birthday wishes!

jimlynn said...

I just got two of those new sets from Newton's Nook too - and sadly haven't had any time to play with them yet (except for the little bear that I used the other day). They're cute sets too! Love the doxie!
And speaking of love....love you card! That bird is adorable and love the see through and all that gold. Very, very pretty and fun!
Lynn

Patti J said...

This little feller is too cute! Great card, Vicki, as always - loving that window on the front! Can't wait to see you create with your new NN stamps! I almost bought a set the other day, but had already spent too much. Thanks for sharing!!!

NanaConnie said...

What a great design, Vicky! At first glance, it looks so CAS but there's a lot going on. Wonderful idea to make it see through and I love how you did the tag. The eyeballs are fabulous with the gloss on them. He's a very adorable "old bird!"

Neets B said...

Oh this is fab, Vicki, I love the his expression too, and what a great design! I also need to add a tag topper die to my wish list! I don't have any Newton's Nook sets so I'd love to see what you do with these :)
Thanks for sharing with us.
Anita x
Less is More GD

Céline said...

this is so fun! love the design
hugs
céline

aussie aNNie said...

Delightful fun card and gorgeous image displayed so sweetly...gorgeous colours.xx{aNNie My Personal Blog}

Bad Kitty said...

great card

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

Ha ha! Too cute - your 'old bird' made me laugh.
I like your see through style.
I don't mind about the front showing through on the inside.
I think it's such a great style that crafters and non-crafters alike, would be intrigued to see how you made it.
Caroline xxx

sue t. said...

OMG that card is awesome!! I love bird stamps and have missed that set. Gotta get over to SSS and check it out! Thanks for joining us at The Male Room!

Cazro said...

A brilliant fun male card. Thanks for sharing at Cardz 4 Guyz. Caz

alexandra s.m. said...

Gish Vicki! You did it again!
Your card is fantastic, so beautifully done and so harmonious in its colors!
Bravo and thank You!!

Lisa S. said...

Ha Ha I love his eyes too Vicki. Saw this on FB and just had to thank you for the chuckle this card gave me. :)

Joan said...

what a clever card, I'm glad you gave details of how you made it as it wasn't obvious how clever it is from the first photo. I do love that funny owl and the sentiment tag you made too

Thanks for joining us at cardz4guyz this week
Joan

Shelly Schmidt said...

This card is deceiving a d=first glance! I love the bird with the see thru window- very need design! I do not have any of the stamps from this line- they sure stamp up to make cute cards! We are having a nutty month as well- youngest is graduating college next weekend, then we are driving her to DC for an internship the following weekend. Hope you are having a fab weekend!

Davi said...

What a totally awesome card Vicki! I love the way you did the layers and perched the owl of the stick~~

Desire Fourie said...

Lol, loving it Vicki. The circles work so well together.
Wishing you a lovely week ahead.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Love, love, love this card Vicki, super fun, super quirky and super hole in the card idea. Sadly as Chrissie mentioned we can't accept it at Less is More as you've exceeded the number of challenges we accept BUT I'm thrilled you've entered at AAA Cards too so it can join the party there. Thanks so much. Sarah x

Bożena Adamusińska said...

A beautiful and so funny card. Is most important front, the back is unlikely to watching :-)
hugs,
Bozena

Pia S said...

Tihi, look at that face, too cute!! Love your CAS design, Vicky!

crafty-stamper said...

fabulous CAS card love the image and sentiment
Carol x

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

This is one FUN card - that bird is so perfect for your sentiment - I am having a BIG smile on my face!

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

OMgosh this is so super cute and all your goodies look like fun!

Jane Willis said...

What a super card, I love the expression on the bird's face, and making is completely see through is a fab idea. Thanks for sharing at Cardz 4 Guyz
Jane

Regina said...

That card is sure to make anyone smile.
Have fun with your new goodies!

sending sunshine greetings
Regina

Tammy said...

Absolutely delightful birthday card and very clever making it a see-through card! Love the little owl, he's adorable.

Shelly said...

Ha! Too cute!

Helen said...

Love it! A great design and I love that owl!

Thanks for joining us at Cardz 4 Guyz.

Helen x

Asha said...

Judging from the look on that bird's face... waaaay too old, I reckon! LOL
hugs, Asha

Vicki Dutcher said...

Awesome card -- so nice and clean too! Thanks for joining in at ATCAS - TMR and AAA!!

Victoria Lavender said...

Great card, well done! I cracked up when I saw the image with your fingers shining through- brilliant. Thanks for sharing your card with us at AAA Cards. We're having a birthday party hop with presents/prizes on the 10th. Hope to see you there.
Cheers, Victoria and the AAA Team

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

bwahahaha! This cracks me up!

Linda Beeson said...

That bird is the coolest!!! So glad you could join us at AAA Cards

Deepti said...

The design idea is amazing !

Deepti said...

Thank you for sharing this cutie at ATCAS !

Jill Vickers said...

Love the design - and that bird is too adorable! This is such a fabulous take on our "hole " challenge - thanks so much for sharing with us at AAA Cards! Jill

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

What a fun card. Love that little bird. Great take on our "hole' challenge. Thanks for playing along with us at AAA Cards. Be sure to stop by the AAA Cards blog tomorrow to join in our birthday celebration!

Deborah Frings said...

Oh Vicki! This one really made me smile. Love the "old bird", great eys and I love the blush. Super sentiment. Great card. Thanks so much for playing along with The Male Room!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...