"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Pages

Friday, May 8, 2015

Graduation Time!

Hello friends!!  Happy Friday!
As mentioned before, I have a special post to share with you today!
If you remember, I said May was going to be a very busy month for me!!  So I've been busy crafting for my youngest who is graduating this year and trying to get some things done for that event!

First, I'd like to share a graduation card...this one is NOT for my son though:
I think a travel type of theme is such a great idea for graduation because honestly this is the beginning for them traveling down a different road in life.  Weather they are still near at home or traveling to another college somewhere else, their lives begin on the path to adulthood.  (They have a long road yet to travel, both exciting and nerve racking at the same time I'm sure!)

So looking in my stamp stash, I've found a couple of older (both retired and retiring) sets and put them to use on my card.  I've played along with a couple of challenges and one of them called for this color combo which I actually really like on this card!  (see below) .  I also thought if I had changed my mind about having this for a grad card, I could take a thin strip of card stock and cover up the grad sentiment and make it something else.  I think this is also a nice Summer design as well.  I think it could be used for many different occasions as well as masculine really!
------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what I have been busy working on lately:
This is the front of my son's graduation announcement.
His school colors are like a Navy Blue and Gold, so this is what I went with for the color scheme.
Both the graduation hat/diploma and the numbers were cut with my Cricut machine.
I used Brushed Gold card stock for the strip along the side which covers up a star border which you can see in the photo below.  I've used the negitive pieces from that border and glued some stars on the gold stip with the numbers.  I punched out a scallop circle from the brushed gold card stock and then embossed the stars with my embossing folder before I add the grad die cuts.

I've also stamped some extra stars in gold Encore ink on the Navy base panel.
When you open up both flaps, this is the inside:
I put together two panels that measure 7" x 10" with the longer side being folded in half and then attached them together to make this 5" x 7" tri-folding card design.
I took one of his Senior photos (5x7) to place in the center of the announcement so that the recipient can cut off the edges and frame his photo if they wish.

The panel to the left of his photo explains what I was talking about above with the border punch of stars.  (You can see the gold strip underneath the stars.)  Along the side of the star border, I took a "Class of 2015" stamp that I had got from Stampin' Up! and embossed it in gold embossing powder.

The panel to the right of his photo was generated on my computer.  I typed up what I wanted to have on my son's announcement and printed it out on some confetti white card stock.  I cut off around the edges and then punched out a navy banner to place at the top and then I took that same "Class of 2015" stamp and embossed a gold grad cap and punched that out with a small oval punch and popped that up over the banner.  I also took a few more of the negative stars from the punched star border and added those to that side as well.

Obviously, the white scratch marks on the announcement is not what it looks like, I just brushed it out with Photoshop for privacy.

------------------------------------------
I thank you so much for stopping by for a visit today!  I really appreciate you taking the time!
Wishing you all a wonderful and beautiful weekend and for all you mothers out there:
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

Here are some challenges I'd like to enter the card above:
1.  Curatin Call - Travel On

2.  The Paper Players (PP243) - Transportation

3.  Nacho Average Challenge (NAC140) - color combo

50 comments:

Lisa S. said...

Outstanding graduation cards Vicki! I love each one but your son's card is extra special. Congrats to him on this wonderful milestone in his life and I wish you a very Happy Mother's Day too. xx

LeAnne said...

Oh my, these are AWESOME! What a handsome son, and how proud you must be! Terrific "travel" card..I am so glad you shared it at the Paper Players too! You have a great Mother's Day as well!

Donna said...

Wow! First I like your graduation card with the travel idea. Second your sons announcement card is stunning, every detail is beautiful and what a handsome young man. Congrats! And happy mother's day!

Margreet said...

Wow, you have a lovely looking son ☺☺...you made him a wonderful graduation card!
xxx Margreet

jimlynn said...

Vicki, both of these are wonderful! The first one is so fun with a travel theme like that. The second - CAS out the outside and a wonderful way to share memories on the inside. You have a very handsome son too!
Lynn

Chrissy said...

Congratulations to your [handsome] Son Vicki and two wonderful cards.Fabulous design on your sons card..what a great keepsake.

luv CHRISSYxx

Shelly said...

WOW! Very awesome, Vicki! And *Woohoo!* Congrats to your son! :)
Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Karren said...

This is a fantastic take on the challenge! The way you've arranged everything on your card is spot on! Thanks so much for joining us at The Paper Players.

Kim said...

Your son's graduation card is fantastic! I love the layout and the picture in the center makes in even more special. Congrats to your son!

Monika Reeck said...

the first card so coool with that map and that stamp postal and that pink with teal color I love your concept Vicki so adorable
the second one really manly and classic with blue and gold
lovely pict of your son
so bright and nice color combination with that tree in yellow and grass in green great picture you have...
and happy mother day too my dear friend
miss your visit :)
hugs, Monika

Bad Kitty said...

this is beautiful
have a nice weekend

Stamping Smiles Designs said...

These graduation cards are awesome especially the one with your son in it! That is one fantastic card! Really love the details you've put into it! Have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!

Asha said...

Fabulous!!!! Great colours and layout...most of all awesome son. You must be so proud, Vicki ... and maybe a little relieved too! :)
hugs, Asha

VanessaB said...

wow! fantastic! the one for your son is so extra special! i love the non traditional look of the first. awesome! :)

stampwithsandy said...

Vicki these are amazing graduation cards! You're reminding me that I need to make a few of my own. Congratulations on the graduation of your handsome son, and I love the travel themed graduation card. Thanks so much for playing along with my Transportation Challenge at The Paper Player!


Tammy said...

Fabulous graduations cards Vicki! I love the colors on the first card and your son's card is awesome- fantastic design!! You must be very proud of your handsome son!
Hugs, Tammy

Yapha said...

Great cards! The one for your son is spectacular, and I love the travel themed one with our colors! Thanks for joining us at Nacho Average Challenges this week.

Chasing the Dream said...

Love, love the graduation card, so creative. Fab colors for the guys or it is the class colors. Fab travel beauty too. I need to kick myself into gear for my grandson graduation.
Have a fantastic weekend
Hugs
Berni

Céline said...

wow fantastic cards Vicki! love them both
hugs
céline

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Congratulations to your son, Vicki, you must be so proud :)

The cards are awesome.

Love and hugs
Maarit

Pollard Carole said...

Wow Vicki these are fabulous but what about your son's card its just so special and what a handsome young man congratulations on his graduation. He will treasure this all of his life I'm certain Enjoy the weekend and your Mother's Day love and hugs Carole x

Patti J said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, as well! What a handsome young man your son is! And your announcements are just beautiful. Love them! Great job!!!

Christy Lynn said...

I love the travel theme for a graduation card, that's awesome! I'm going to steal that idea for my husband's cousin who graduates high school in a couple weeks :) The Doctor Seuss book "Oh, the Places You'll Go" would be a fantastic gift with that card :) Thanks for joining us at Nacho Average Challenges this week, love your card!

Becky said...

What an awesome graduation card!

Dawn Frost said...

Both grad cards are great Vicki although I'm partial to your sons blue and gold, love that colour combo!

Marisa said...

Great travel card and like the grad card too. Thanks for joining us at The Curtain Call.

Pat (mspfd) said...

Fabulous grad cards,Vicki. Congratulations to your son! You must be very proud!!

Lynn McAuley said...

This graduation card is unique and wonderful, Vicki! I love every thing about it.

Congratulations to your son! The announcements you have made for his graduation are sensational!

Shirley said...

Both cards are totally wonderful, Vicki!! They will be cherished for always. The last card is so awesome for your son and might even bring tears to his eyes. What a keeper!

Ксения Phedra Ли said...

I love your graduation cards! So colorful and detailed!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Fantastic cards Vicki. Love the travel images and colors on the first one... the touch of gold looks great on the grad card. Thank you for playing along with us at the Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge

Tammy said...

Huge gigantic congratulations to your son. My the new road he travels not be obstructed with many obstacles! Very clever and creative way to share the good news with family and friends and a lovely keepsake!

Patricia St Martin said...

Great job on both of the cards, boy this time of year sure came fast.
Hugs Pat♥

JD/ Jill said...

Awesome Graduation cards! And Congrats to your son!

vic said...

Gorgeous cards Vicki how lovely for your son huge congrats and such a great card :)
Vic xx

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Vicki these are two fantastic cards but that second one is awesome, brilliant design something that will treasured by your son for many years to come I am sure.
hugs
lorraine x

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

wow! These are fabulous! I really love the Graduation card, this looks so professional! I have a quite a few years til this but I have to pin this, because I love it so much!

Deepti said...

Fabulous designs! Love your first card :)

NanaConnie said...

These are both fantastic, Vicki! I do love the idea of a travel theme for a graduate. How clever. The photo in the Grad Announcement is wonderful and he's a good lookin' kid. :-D

Beth said...

Oh Vicki I am loving both of these cards and what a keepsake with your sons graduation announcement for all the friends and family to hold on to.
Hugs

Miriam Prantner said...

Love the colors on the first card, and I'm totally impressed with the announcement. Looks professional, and really, it is!

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

Both totally fabulous. My youngest has one more year and then on to grad school. I hope the money stops there...haha A big congrats to your son and to you as well. Love Love Love both cards. I just got back from vacation last night so I'm behind on commenting.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Absolutely fab! I love the travel card, but the grad announcement is just outstanding!!! Love the trifold design and he is very handsome! Such a fab time in their lives : )

Anne Hayward said...

Thanks for playing along with the Nachos this week. Love how all the different elements came together for the color challenge!

crafty-stamper said...

Both fabulous cards and love the personalised one for your son and congratulations to him
Carol x

Jessi Fogan said...

utterly fabulous! I love travel themes for grad cards too. And OMG your son is such a man - sniff! - seeing my oldest grow a beard has been the strangest thing! :)

Donna K said...

I love the travel theme graduation card, those colors are right up my alley! Great layout on there too with the string and fun sentiment. AND...your son's announcement is just amazing. How wonderful that you put so much love and thought into this. What a special time for your family and you have created this beautiful keepsake to capture his special day. Super thoughtful of you and so very clever! Congratulations to you all!!

Donna said...

Fantastic designs Vicki and both such clever themes! Love the inside of the 2nd card, a really wonderful keepsake for your son! :) Donna ♥ x

PS: Belated Happy Mother's Day!

nwilliams6 said...

You did an awesome job on the graduation announcements and your son is super handsome. Congrats to him! Your graduation card looks fab too. Well done creations Vicki! Hugz

Lola said...

Wow! Your announcements are way impressive. I'm sure he was appreciative of all your work too. And you are right about that color combo on the first card - it does look really pretty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...