"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Out to Sea for Tuesday Throwdown!

ARRRRRRHHH You Ready Mates?!!
We're going OUT TO SEA this week.....
Here to share with you a new challenge over at
TUESDAY THROWDOWN
The challenge theme for this week is, of course, is none other than "Out to Sea" - now how cool is that?!  Perfect for a great Summer themed design!

Our sponsor for this challenge is My Grafico!
They are offering a generous prize to a lucky winner!  So be sure to get your "sea legs" and come join in the fun with us!

Here's the card that I made with images kindly provided to the team from our sponsor:
It's been SUCH a long time since I've made one of these types of cards and I thought this whole set of stamps from My Grafico called Pirates Boy by Pretty Grafik was SO CUTE and I wanted to use several of them within the set! LOL!  I have used five of them on this card though!

So for my easel card, I printed out the ship and sponged in some blues around the edges of the panel for the sky and water colors.  I printed out the sun and clouds image, colored it in and attached it to the top of the circle scene.  I've also die cut some waves to go around the ship as well.  The boat and sun/clouds were colored in with my Copics and to finish off the boat window scene, I've added some coloring to the boat with glitter pens, I covered the sun with Wink of Stella and then covered it up with some glossy accents.  I also added some blue Stickles glitter glue to the waves for some sparkle as well as a bit of texture.

After the scene was put together, I die cut it out to fit behind my stitched circle frame panel and glued it behind the frame.  I also thought it would be fun to add some glimmer brads around the edges for a "boat window" feel.  The base of the easel card itself distressed with Walnut Stain distress ink and then I took my distress tool to give it the look it has.  I also went over areas of it with some white ink to make it sort of look like "old map" material.

The "Captain Hook" boy, map along with the skull and cross bones were all colored in with my Copic markers.  I added the details on the map with a Copic liner pen.  It's hard to see in the photo, but I've covered the Skull and Cross Bones along with the bird's feathers with some Wink of Stella glitter.  I also thought it would be fun to add some twine for rope around the edge of the window.  I've arranged it so the boy pirate is handing on with his silver hook hand.

The sentiment comes from one of the TAWS stamp sets in my stash.
(Called Black Beard's Loot) - it fit perfectly, so I couldn't help but add it! :)

Here's another angel of the coloring so that you can see where I've added the glossy accents to the sun as well as the glitter gel pens on the boat.  Still hard to see the Wink of Stella details though!

This was such a fun card to put together and I thought it would be fun for a boy to get! :)  I haven't decided if I want to add a "Happy Birthday" sentiment to it or what I want to do.  Hanging onto it for the time being.

Hope that you will come join us this week for the challenge!  Be sure to stop by and see what the rest of the design team has come up with!! We can't wait to see your creations!
Thanks so much for stopping by today!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

Here are some challenges I'd like to enter this card for:
The Crafter's Cafe - One for the Boys
Chocolate, Coffee & Cards - Summer Fun
Sister Act - Anything Goes
Alphabet Challenge - "H" is for Hats and/or Handbags (a pirate's hat she be matey!)
Come & Get It - Distress It
Send a Smile 4 Kids - anything goes 4 kids
Open Minded Crafting Fun - Inspired by Song ("Yo Ho!  Yo Ho!  A Pirate's Life For Me!")
See this song with lyrics below:

49 comments:

Sue said...

WOW! This is wonderful Vicki. I love the design, you have created such a beautiful scene and the image is adorable. All your colouring is stunning and your attention to detail is fabulous.
hugs Sue xx

Bad Kitty said...

gorgeous card

Shannon McComb said...

Woah! This is fantastic!! I love all your elements that make it look so authentic! That tresure map = Adoreable!! & your coloring is stunning!!

Julie B said...

What a fab card Vicki. any little boy would love to receive it! :)

Jacqueline said...

Amazing artwork! The card is a treausure itself. Love the combination of the easel card with how you used all the images and theme. Your colouring is stunning. Hugs, Jacqueline

Jacqueline said...

Amazing artwork! The card is a treausure itself. Love the combination of the easel card with how you used all the images and theme. Your colouring is stunning. Hugs, Jacqueline

Anneke said...

Beautiful card!! Love the sea theme :)
Hugs Anneke

Margreet said...

Stunning card Vicki...love your details!
xxx Margreet

Shelly said...

Oh, how CUTE is this?!!...Love it!

Pia S said...

What a sweet and fun card for a young boy! I really like the distressed edges, like an aged treasure map, and the decorated circle cutout for an enhanced nautical feel.

Chrissy said...

Super cute Easel card Vicki..love the little pirate and the porthole window is awesome..

luv CHRISSYxx

Pollard Carole said...

So wonderful I just love your card today its all wonderful a brilliant design Love and hugs Carole x

jimlynn said...

Super cute!!!! Those waves look like the real deal! Cute idea and a wonderful, wonderful card Vicki!
Lynn

Donna said...

Love it! Like the crystally water, and your cardstock actually looks like leather being ink distressed and torn distressed, every detail shines!

Tammy said...

Super, super cute! Love the cutie pirate! Yup, fun card for a little guy's birthday!

cass said...

Great card, love the porthole and water. Thanks for joining us at The Crafter's Cafe this week for our "One for the Boys" challenge.

Pat (mspfd) said...

Not only is this the cutest bug your design rocks! So many wonderful elements that tie to the theme. Fabulous card, Vicki!

Chasing the Dream said...

OMG, he is having too, too much fun. Love the all of the details, design and palette. So delightful for that special person of the male persuasion.
Hugs
Berni

Miriam Prantner said...

Oh wow! That port hole is absolutely amazing and so is the scene outside, and so is the pirate!

Patti J said...

What an amazing card, Vicki! You absolutely wowed me on this one, dear friend!!! Great job :)

NanaConnie said...

Oh, what a fantastic little pirate, Vicki! Love the sparkle on the ocean and the sun peeping out from behind the clouds. I'm off to see if I can get a card done for this challenge. :-D

Julie Reed said...

Super cute card, beautifully done.
Thanks for sharing with us at Open-Minded Crafting Fun
Julie DT
Open-Minded Crafting Fun Challenges
{Pumpkin Belly Cards}

Monika Reeck said...

Dear Vicki...do you know that this looks like a children book..looks so real so adorable and I love your coloring talent...sooo in love with this easel card...Stunning creation my friend..
Hugs
Monika

Jenny Alia said...

Wow! Such an adorable card. Love all the details!

Kathy S said...

Yo ho, yo ho alright - that is too stinkin' cute! Love the porthole you created - perfect background. Thanks for joining us at Send a Smile 4 Kids - would be perfect to cheer up a little one.

Becky said...

OH My Word! This is fabulously adorable! :)

Céline said...

oh so gorgeous, love the design
hugs
céline

Judy V said...

This is absolutely adorable! Love the dimension and attention to detail! Thanks for sharing with us at CC&CC!

Patricia St Martin said...

Yo Ho Mattie, I see Captain Hook has found his treasure map and it has lead him though the port hole to the beautiful blue sparkling water and the wonderful bright sun. This is so darling and the distressing is perfect.
Hugs, Pat♥

coldwaters2 said...

Brilliant, fun card for a youngster Vicki full of fun and delight.
hugs
lorraine x

Tammy said...

WOW this is awesome Vicki!! I love all of the images you've used and that adorable port hole!! So cute and fun! Also a big thanks for joining us at Alphabet Challenge Blog!
Hugs, Tammy

Beth said...

adorable girlfriend and I just love your distressing and that you made it as an easel card.
Hugs

Rachelle Olaridge said...

Totally gorgeous and so cute Vickie! I love the details and colors. You are so awesome. Just love your work girl.
Huggies!

Chasing the Dream said...

Back with DT hat. Eye Catching beauty the image is simply fab and the details are fantastic. Thanks for joining in on the fun over at Open-Minded Crafting Fun. We look forward to seeing you again.
Hugs    
Berni,DT
open-mindedcraftingfun.

Sue Nicholson said...

Lovely sweet card thanks for joining us at CC&CC cheers Sue N x

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

OMG!! This is sooooo stinkin cute and so much eye candy. A lot of work went into this awesome project...more than just a card!

Dr Sonia S V said...

Ooh Especially love the window and all the shimmery elements
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts Kids Projects

Sue said...

Vicki, this is such a fun card! Love the porthole and your peg leg pirate. So many great details, and the sentiment is perfect. Great job, love it.

Hugs
Sue

nwilliams6 said...

I love this! Perfect design on this - colors, distressing, the way you did the window, the sea - everything is just sooooo fun!!!! Wonderfully done. Hugz

aussie aNNie said...

Love this nautical theme my friend.xx...enjoy your weekend...xx

{aNNie My Personal Blog}

Donna K said...

Oh matey...this is THE cutest little pirate I've ever seen. What a fun, detailed adventurous card. I love the edges that look like a map, the fun port hole. Spectacular lady! I hope Yarrr weekend is a great one! Hugs. Donna K

cass said...

Lots of fun! Thanks for joining us at Open Minded Crafting Challenges this fortnight for our "Inspired by a Song" Challenge.

Jennifer Scull said...

wow! this is amazing! love the way you have made it look like a port hole... such a fun image, too.

thanks for all of the kind and encouraging comments you have left on my blog. they mean so much to me! :)

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous image and card brilliant layout with the boat through the porthole-love the map
Carol x

SonjaK said...

Amazing design!

Deepti said...

Awww such a master piece :) love the details that went into creating this one

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

This card is so awesome that I don't even have words for it! Just amazing!!!!

chanya13 said...

Beautiful colours and image. Thank you for sharing with us at Chocolate, Coffee & Cards.
Agnieszka DT

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

OMGosh this is so adorable! What a great scene.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...