"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Friday, July 24, 2015

Flashback Friday - The Snowflake Spot with Watercolor Bokeh!

Yay....it IS Friday!! :)
I am so ready for the weekend and look forward to spending some quiet time with hubby!
Hope that you have some wonderful plans lined up too!

So for today's "FLASHBACK FRIDAY"....I have pulled out one of my favorite Stampin' Up! sets that I have used oh so many times and you can tell by looking at the rubber on it!! LOL!  This set has a date of 2006 on it.  I do remember using it so many times!  Look familiar to anyone?:

This set is called "The Snowflake Spot".
So I thought it would be cool to pull it back out for a nice wintry color theme using an "updated" technique that seems to be really popular right now which is "Bokeh".  Check out what I did:
So I did some water-coloring on watercolor paper using a couple of blue Stampin' Up! reinkers.  The only ones that I own are Pacific Point and Night of Navy...so that's what I've used for my watercolor background for this.  I will say that when the colors mixed together, I just love the subtle hints of a purplish shade that got in there too!!  Unexpected happy moment with it! ;)

I made a video for a past "Flashback Friday" post using a different version of the Bokeh technique.  CLICK HERE to see my post and video.

And of course to make this a "boheh" technique, I made a stencil with the circle dies and sponged some white ink circles over the watercolor.  (They're very subtle, but they are there!)  I used my stitched rectangle dies and then I took the "splatter dots" from the stamp set and stamped them with some silver ink at the top.  I also stamped one of the snowflakes from the set with silver ink over a piece of Night of Navy card stock and punched it out with a circle punch and popped it up over the silver metallic ribbon and then added a silver enamel dot in the center.  Lastly, I stamped the "Joy" from this set in the bottom left corner of the design with Night of Navy ink.  The Night of Navy base card front was embossed the Decorative Dots embossing folder.

OK...back in the day when this set first came out, I had to made 50 cards for a swap with it.  I so much enjoyed it really!  But here's the card I made many moons ago with this same set:
This was a pocket card using the "Bashful Blue" and "Blue Ballot" (?maybe?) colors!
Expert stamper AND photographer back then too, right?! LOL!


Hope you've enjoyed my "Flashback" for you today and I thank you so much for stopping in with me!  I hope that you have a fabulous FUN weekend!! :)

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

Here are some challenges I'd like to enter my "Watercolor Bokeh" card for:
Tuesday Throwdown - Christmas in July
Crafting for All Seasons - Christmas in July
Fab 'N' Funky - No patterned paper
Penny's Paper - Christmas in July
CCEE Stampers (CCEE1530) - Watercolor Bokeh
Creative Corner - Christmas in July

24 comments:

Beth said...

Hi Vicki your background on this is beautiful love that technique and your images are perfect with it.....boy don't envy you having to make 50 of the other gorgeous card for a swap that looks like it was quite a lot of work.
Hugs
Beth

Monika Reeck said...

Hallo Vicki
I love the blue bokeh effect plus that white dots
look so dreamy
and lovely ribbon you have too
adorable circle with that snow and bling
lovely SU stamp set you have
Love your swap card too simple and with soft blue color..
see you around my friend
hugs, Monika

Bad Kitty said...

gorgeous cards
hugs

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Fabulous Bokeh Christmas card, Vicki, the tag is wonderful too :)

Donna K said...

I love your Bokeh creation Vicki and your pocket card is lovely too! Are we really ready for snowflakes? I'm not so sure but your cards are wonderful. I'm glad I had the time to come catch up over here. Been missing your blog this summer. Hugs.

Margreet said...

Great Bokeh creation, Vicki, as I also love your flashback card! Have a nice weekend!
xxx Margreet

Shelly said...

Such a beautiful card, Vicki! Love your background!
And your original card is just as beautiful! ;)
Happy Friday! :)

Pollard Carole said...

Wonderful card that background is amazing what a brilliant technique and thanks for sharing the video so kind The finished card looks lovely and the tag is fab Enjoy your weekend Love and hugs Carole x

Tammy said...

Beautiful bokeh results, love the hint of purple! great flashback card too!

Darnell J Knauss said...

That was fun, Vicki! I did enjoy your flashback very much and I love your new modern updated bokeh card! Then again, I love your older card, too, and think it would still be relevant today. That was a lot of work making 50 of those beauties!! Enjoy the weekend!! Hugs, Darnell

NanaConnie said...

I love that bokeh background, Vicki! Incredible card. I simply can stand going back and looking at things I did a couple of years ago. My skills back then were just so "unhoned' it's embarrassing. :-D Your previous card, however, is brilliant and beautiful!

Rhonda Miller said...

These are terrific. That background is perfect with the snowflakes.

Céline said...

fab design as usual
hugs
céline

jimlynn said...

Love that stamp set you used and both are these are outstanding. The technique and colors on that first one are just gorgeous Vicki! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
Lynn

Tracey said...

Beautiful cards both from then & now!
I hope you're having a great weekend.
Hugs
Tracey
xx

Pia S said...

I loved reading this post and seeing how your style has evolved and how old stash can feel like new.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Oh yes, I remember that set- wonderful set. Your card is just beautiful- I love the hint of purple too. The technique is so pretty and love the card from the past as well. I love that you show us a 'blast from the past' with the set. Enjoy your weekend with hubby!

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful cards I have not tried this technique yet-50 cards wow I once made 75 for a wedding invite using my favourite die-it was definitely not that by the time I finished lol
Carol x

Donna said...

So beautiful Vicki, love the winter colour theme and the way you have built up the background...looks stunning and so effective :) Donna ♥ x

Dawn Frost said...

I have always loved that set, I've got to try Bokeh!

Patricia St Martin said...

Vicki thanks for sharing the Bokeh technique, I really need to try this it really looks amazing. Loved how you did it them and it looks fantastic as a sky.
Hugs, Pat♥

Miriam Prantner said...

What a gorgeous background! Loving how that turned out, I'm ready for a little cooler weather!

VanessaB said...

So pretty

Asha said...

LOVE the new and improved card...but then I love the old one too. I'm learning a lot from your vids too, my friend. So thank YOU for sharing so generously.
hugs Asha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...