"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Friday, July 10, 2015

Flashback Friday with Christmas in July!

Hello friends!
It's finally Friday and boy am I glad to see the weekend is here!  You ever have "one of those weeks" where nothing goes right?  That was this week for me!  If I had plans...forget it...something else was going to mess that all up! LOL!!

Anyway, I'm here to share some fun things with you today!
I still enjoy pulling out my OLD stash and playing because it "gives a purpose" to all of those items that are just "laying around" my room and not being used!  This drives me crazy sometimes and I feel guilty when I want to spend more money! LOL!! If you have been stamping as many years as I have, then you know exactly what I'm talking about!
  So of course I would enjoying sharing more "Flashback Friday" posts with you!  Hope you can get some inspiration from this WITHOUT challenges!  (If you want to join in "my mission", then please do so and let me know that you've created something so I can check it out!)
It's just OLD on Fridays...other than this, who knows what I'll be posting, right?!

And I also told you that in July I plan on starting some Christmas cards!
So I am very pleased that not only did I pull out some OLD stamps, but I'm also pleased that I have made my very first Christmas card for the year! Yay!
So you may remember earlier this week that I had posted a penguin card with a brand new penguin stamp set that I got?  So of course, I started feeling guilty that I was neglecting my older stash of penguins that I have!! LOL!!  And let me tell you, this one has been around a while, but I think he's still a cutie! :)  Both the penguin and the sentiment come from an old Stampin' Up! set called Penguin Pleasantries.  (I'm not exactly sure on the year of it, but 2000 maybe?)  Gosh, am I showing my age?  No...I started stamping when I was 10 I'm sure! LOL!  Anyway....

I wanted to take this penguin and make him look like he's standing in the snow sharing Christmas wishes, so I masked him off and used my distress inks to make a blue background.  I took some liquid applique and made some "snow" under his feet and added some to his hat for "fur" dimension.  I took a white gel pen to add some 'dots' for snow falling.  Then finished it off with star sequins in the sky, and ribbon (that's I've had for a few years along with the button!)  The scallop portion under the panel was a punched out circle three times that I've attached.

Here's a closer view of this penguin.  I just love those quirky off-set eyes!
I've got him colored with Copics and I've used a clear glitter gel pen to color in the stars that he's holding.  Also, the "crinkles" in the ribbon was made my using my heat gun on it.
------------------------------

Thanks so much for joining me here today!  Hope you are excited about the "Flashback Friday" posts again and I wish you all a wonderful weekend!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

Here are some challenges I'd like to enter this card for:

Merry Mondays -  penguins!


Retro Rubber - sketch


Tuesday Throwdown - No patterned paper

Holly Jolly Christmas - Winter Wonderland

4 Crafty Chicks - Christmas in July

Chocolate, Coffee & Cards - 1 button and 1 bow

Christmas Stampin' All Year - Snow or Glitter

56 comments:

Chrissy said...

Awww..he is a cutie Vicki..love the blue background and applique snow and the sentiment is such fun..fabulous card. Hope next week is better for you and have a wonderful weekend.

luv CHRISSYxx

Becca Cruger said...

Having a reason to pull out old stamps is so fun, isn't it?! Gorgeous sponged snowy sky. Love the shimmery star string, too!

Sarah said...

He's such a cute guy and the scene is brilliant!! I have old and new unused stamps so I shall follow suit and give them an airing!! xx

Diane said...

Fabulous details, colors and design Vicki.

Hugs Diane

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

The sparkly sky is fabulous Vicki, a very cheerful Christmas card. Happy Friday!

Love and hugs
Maarit

jimlynn said...

I don't have that stamp but it's as cute as can be. Love the starry sky and all that wonderful "snow". Adorable!!! Great to start making Christmas cards now too - it'll be here before we know it!
Lynn

Pollard Carole said...

Brilliant card your design and detail are fabulous brilliant colouring its all just perfect Love and hugs Carole x

Tammy said...

Adorable Christmas card Vicki! I love the beautiful sky and the fabulous snow, gorgeous ribbon too!! Enjoy your weekend, my friend!
Hugs, Tammy

laurie said...

I need to do this too... I have so many cute older stamps that I don't use.

I love all the details on your card from the ribbon to the snow! What a fun Christmas card!

Tammy said...

Absolutely adorable, love this guy and such fun to be in snow! Great card!

crafty-stamper said...

A great idea having the Friday flashback without the challenge all the fun without the work-brilliant love the cute penguin and puffy snow
Carol x

Bad Kitty said...

love this cute card
hugs

Donna said...

Cute penguin and scene! The great thing about stamps is most of them never go out of style, we just like new ones.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Darling penguin card, Vicki! Thanks for playing at Merry Monday!

Kim said...

I love what you did with the background. You always amaze me with your artwork. The penguin is adorable and the puffy snow looks snow much fun! Thanks for visiting us at Tuesday Throwdown! We miss you :-)

Davi said...

Love your card Vicki!! The penguin is so cute. You can almost feel the frigid air with your snow and cool coloring :)

Asha said...

Eeeek! Too cute.... and I see you're tempting me with yet another penguin! This card would be perfect for the CASEing Christmas Blog Hop. So many elements from your earlier beachy card on this festive creation!
hugs, Asha

Lynn McAuley said...

How cute is this? I love it, Vicki!

Debbie Mageed said...

What an adorable penquin! I sure wish I had been with Stampin' Up! that long ago to purchase it! Your details are brilliantly done with the background and the dimensional snow! Love your curled ribbon as well! Thank you for playing along with the Retro Rubber sketch challenge. Hope you will play with us again soon!

aussie aNNie said...

Brilliant flash back.xx{aNNie My Personal Blog}

Desire Fourie said...

Pure delight Vicki. Adore how realistic the snow looks.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

MiamiKel said...

How Absolutley charming, Vicki! I love the gorgeous background to compliment the cutie penguin - and the snow! I'm seeing a lot of Cmas in July and it's inspiring to get that start - have a blessed weekend!

Katy McGloin said...

Absolutely ADORABLE! Fantastic attention to details makes this card super special. Would love to see it in person. Thanks so much for including Retro Rubber in your stamping fun this week!

Céline said...

so fun card, love it
hugs
céline

conil said...

Just look at that snow scene, with SNOW for goodness sake. Seriously though, really adorable, great coloring and blending, love the sentiment. Merry Monday's going to love it.

Pia S said...

He's a cutie, for sure. I love the sky you inked, looking fabulous, and so does the snow. What a great start on this year's Christmas cards! I shared my 14th today...

alexandra s.m. said...

Absolutely adorable Vicki!
You make me want to make Christmas cards :)

Patti J said...

You go girl! A Christmas card already! You're my hero, or I guess it's she-ro! Love this sweet card, my friend. Thanks for sharing!

Shannon McComb said...

Eeek!! This is such a fun card! Love the texture on your snow! Adorable!

vic said...

Oh he's so cute!!!! Love the Christmas card and gorgeous colouring!
Hugs
Vic x

Jessi Fogan said...

The liquid applique makes such perfect snow! And I love the sky you created, just perfect :)

Susan (rainy) said...

I am exactly the same way... Oh the guilt when I buy new floral stamps when I have set upon set of flowers already! lol This is such a good idea to have a day set aside for creating with the oldies. Love it. And LOVE your darling first-for-the-year Christmas card, too.

Heather Hopson said...

what a cute little guy! I love your colors, looks like you had fun making it too.

Monika Reeck said...

Vicki
that Penguin is so so sweeettt
love the sky behind him and
is that also pop corn pen you put on his hat
cuutee and love the star you draw with white pen and the add of bling star perfecto
sweet ribbon too
and great layout Vicki
big hugs and happy sunday
Monika

Patricia St Martin said...

Vicki, We all have a lot of really cute stamps from a long time ago and wish we could use all of them and them wonder why we have them. I love your penguin and your gorgeous background and how it shimmers with sparkle, love the snow you added and the shinny ribbon giving a wonderful touch. Hope your week end was good.
Hugs, Pat

Bonnie said...

Such a cute penguin and a beautiful snowy sky and ground! He's a keeper! Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday!

Pat (mspfd) said...

Wow, this is so fab with your gorgeous sky, fun snow and added dimension. Adorable Christmas card.

Sue said...

I for one love that you are using some older stamps. I too have been stamping for a loooong time, and have amassed so many stamps. I pull them out now and then too. Your little penguin is looking good in the snow and the sky is awesome.

Hugs
Sue

Susan (rainy) said...

Hi Vicki, Thanks for your comment on my paper patterns post. To answer your question about the coloring of the flower... Yes, it is the no line coloring with Copics. I stamped the flower image with SU Creamy Caramel so the lines basically blended away with the Copic coloring. Thx!

ann van dijk said...

Gorgeous card. Thank you for playing along with our Challenge at chocolate,coffee & cards. We would love to see you again.
Have a good day
Hugs Anneke dt

aussie aNNie said...

I just HAD to come back...
Beautiful creation of a card for our One Button One Bow challenge...thanks for playing in our challenge.xx
{Chocolate Coffee and Cards DT Member}

Leanne said...

Awesome card, like penguins so cute, great background as well, nice snow too! Thanks for playing our challenge at 4 Crafty Chicks.
Cheers,
Leanne DT
4 Crafty Chicks

Shelly Schmidt said...

You have motivated me to look at my older stamps- and what a coincidence- I started stamping at 10 as well! Love this great card- the BG is wonderful and I love the touches of Liq Applique.

Miriam Prantner said...

Loving the inked sky and the textured snow!

Jane Knudsen said...

First you have a penguin, then you have the cool sentiment with the cool font and then you have puffy stuff for snow! What is there not to LOVE about this card! Adorable! Thanks for joining us at Retro Rubber!

Neva Cole said...

AH, this is such a cute Penguin! Love the use of the liquid applique to make textured snow. Thank your for playing along with our sketch at RRBC!

Christine Traversa said...

What a pretty background and great texture too! Thanks so much for doing the challenge!

Creations by Shirl said...

What a cute Penguin and pretty scene....

nwilliams6 said...

How adorable - he looks so fresh and new and cool. Wonderful bg and snow Vicki. This is s cute, cute, cute card! Well done. Hugz

Deepti said...

That sky is gorgeous!

Wendy said...

Love, love, love! This penguin is the sweetest and he looks like he's all ready for a "cool yule"! Love it and all the lovely details! Thanks for playing along with us this week over at Merry Monday! :)

Susangail Powell said...

So adorable!!! And the snow that you made is the perfect touch to finish off your card!

Notes by Nina said...

Adorable wintery scene, I love your cute penguin. Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

VanessaB said...

So beautiful. Fabulous coloring!

Lynn (aka Lynnpenguin) said...

Such a cute creation. Of course you know I just love the image, and I do love how you created the blue background and puffy snow. Great card.

Thanks for joining us at Holly Jolly for our challenge.
Lynn, Holly Jolly DT

Beth said...

another beauty her Vicki and sweet image.
Hugs
Beth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...