"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Watercolor Birthday Floater Celebrating July 4th!

Hello friends....it IS the Fourth of July!! WOOT! :)
Happy Independence Day to my friends here in the U.S., hope you're enjoying your weekend!
I am popping in today to share with you what I've been playing with:
OK, so I've made this really simple single layered card that I thought would be fun to make with a sort of red, white and blue theme in a birthday occasion type of card.

And yes... I jumped on the enabler's band wagon and I had just received my Zig clean color real brush set and wanted to try them out right away.  It certainly has a bit of a learning curve with it.  I wasn't sure that I liked the full on look of using strictly the brushes without any extra water added to them because I found it hard to get a "good" blend with how I wanted it to look.  I completely demolished my first piece and had to flip that side over! LOL!!  (Wasn't too pretty with blotches!)  And you do NOT want to use any other paper other than water color paper (preferable a 140# cold press type in my opinion) because I believe you need to get a good blend of the color brushes with more water for the nice shading to work.  I don't water color much anyway as my preferred method of coloring is with my beloved Copics, but I really wanted to try out something different and these seemed like they would be easy and fun to play with...it's something for me to work with a bit, but I think they're really fun to play with!  I thought starting simple was a good idea! :)

So I thought it would be fun to take this sweet pup from the Newton's Nook Delightful Doxies set and have a blue balloon with a red heart attached to his tail floating away in the watercolor sky!  I also stamped a couple of additional balloons and drew some strings to them to make them look as if they are tied down to the "happy" sentiment which is also from Newton's Nook called Simply Sentimental.  I've die cut my card front panel with my Lawn Fawn Stitched rectangle die and then layered this onto a Neenah Solar White 110# A2 sized card base.  I've also added some shimmer to the balloons with my Wink of Stella Clear Glitter pen.

So tell me what your experience is with those Real Brush pens if you have them?  What do you think of them?  Do you like them better than Copics?

Hope you enjoy your weekend and if you are out watching any fireworks this evening, please be safe!
Please come back on Monday, I'll have a special post to share! :)

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

Here are the challenges I'd like to enter this card for:
Newton's Nook Inky Paws Challenge - birthday theme

Seize the Birthday - Red, White & Blue

CAS-ology - "pop"


Aud Sentiments - Animal + sentiment

Crafts 4 Eternity - Red, White & Blue

37 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Such a cute birhtday card, Vicki also great for a guy or a boy.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

jimlynn said...

What a cutie he is! I just love that stamp set too - and yet, haven't even used it yet! I think I may have too many stamps not in use.
I'm really liking the Zigs but don't do much watercoloring either. Can't beat the Copics I'm afraid.
Lynn

Margreet said...

What a great card Vicki...love your doggie hanging at the balloon!
I'm on holidays now, so it is possible I don't visit it you as much as I should want to!
Sunny greetings from Switzerland.
xxx Margreet

coldwaters2 said...

Oh I do love this creation Vicki that is one cutie dog I love how he is hanging from the balloons also how the sentiment is attached to the strings, the water-coloring is ACE.
hugs
lorraine x

Sarah said...

What a sweetheart!! xx

Chrissy said...

Oh! he looks so content floating away tied to his balloons Vicki..superb water colouring...I tried it once..not very successful really, I enjoy my pencils too much.

luv CHRISSYxx

Jenny L said...

Hi Vicki,
what a very fab creation.
Wonderful water colouring, and such a very cute image.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

~ginny said...

Hey Vicki! I really like the watercolor in this design.I like that you attached the strings to the sentiment too! Nice blending on the dog by the way. These Zig pens will never replace my Copics... but it is a nice idea when you want to go the watercolor route!
Delighted you are sharing your project and creativity with us at Aud Sentiments!
~ginny, Aud Sentiments DT: [#135 – Animal[s] + Sentiment]
Owner: RubberMAD (GettyCollection.com)

Pat (mspfd) said...

Absolutely precious. I think you did a wonderful job for your first try with these pens.

JoAnn said...

So cute. Love the adorable image. Great way to use the red, white & blue colors. Thanks so much for joining us at Seize the Birthday.

Céline said...

oh so cute
hugs
céline

Annie said...

Fabulous colouring on this card - just lovely. Thanks for sharing with us at Aud Sentiments. Annie xxx

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

A beautiful image and gorgeous boarder stitching love the blue behind the image .Thank you for joining us at Aud Sentiments challenge good luck Ginny ♥

Bad Kitty said...

very pretty
have a nice day

hazelspaperdesigns said...

Such a lovely take on the cue, Vicki! Love the image of the pup floating off, attached to those sweet little balloons. Great work with your new markers, and that touch of glitter to the balloons gives a great finish! Thanks so much for joining us at CASology this week!

OH Babs said...

An adorable card. Have never heard of the brushes you are speaking about. I did buy brusho water colors and will work with them asap.

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

This is such a super cute card, Vicki, I don't like to use water brushes, can't really get the hang of them. Real brushes works fine for me :)

Love and hugs
Maarit

Pollard Carole said...

Gorgeous card I love this CAS design so pretty and such a cute image I use copics and promarkers but at present am using Derwent Inktense Pencils that I love. I also sometimes use Distress inks. Not used Zig pens hope you can decide Hugs Carole x

Tammy said...

Great make with the zigs! Absolutely adorable card and my favorite four=legged friends!

Donna said...

Cute CAS card Vicki, I love this little sausage dog image and your patriotic theme is perfect...hope you had a wonderful 4th July! Well done with the Zig brush too!, looks ace! :) Donna ♥ x

Deepti said...

Adorable design :)

Nancy said...

I am a real sucker for Dachshunds! LOVE your card and the way the balloons sparkle! So glad you joined us at Seize the Birthday! Have a wonderful day!

Beth said...

Simply adorable love when you use your Doxie stamps and those balloons are just to darn cute....beautiful Vick and hope your fourth of the July was the best.
Hugs

Pia S said...

It's so cute and a brilliant one layer design. I'm very impressed, I'm no good at one layer myself, mine always end up looking bland....

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous one-layer card love the fun cute image and great watercolour background your one-layer card are brilliant I do struggle with one layer they never look finished lol
Carol x

Donna said...

This is just as cute as can be!

Sue said...

Is this your pup going airborne, Vicki! How cute. Love the watercolors and the cute design.

Hugs
Sue

Tammy said...

Awww this is so sweet Vicki!! I love your watercoloring and the added sparkle!
Hugs, Tammy

Monika Reeck said...

Eekkkk too cuttee Vicki...that dog with balloon and that balloon tied at sentiment is a clever idea..great white red and blue combo...really cute bday card my friend...

Hugs
Monika

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Adorable image, I love the sparkly balloons.

nwilliams6 said...

How fun!!!! What a fun image - just totally brings a smile to my face. Sweet!!!! Hugz

Whimsey said...

SOOO adorable; love the soft water color; adorable images!

Thank you for joining us at Crafts 4 Eternity!! ~Michele, DT

NanaConnie said...

Fun, fun birthday card, Vicki, and I love how you did the sky!

Shannon McComb said...

This is lovely Vicki!! Love your soft watercolored sky and the glitter on your balloons is perfect!!
Love it!!

Asha said...

Aaaaaaw! Just toooooo cute! And he has the roundest, most adorable little botty! LOVE LOVE LOVE!
hugs, Asha

Jennifer Jackson said...

This is super cute! I love the scene you created with all the blue balloons and the touch of glitter is so pretty! I also just got a set of these markers and am experimenting with them. I think it's a bit harder to achieve a "soft" watercolor look but I do love the vibrancy of them! I think I just need practice. If you want something a bit easier to control, I do LOVE my derwent inktense pencils and a waterbrush too.

Thank you for getting inky with us at Newton's Nook Designs and linking up to our Inky Paws Challenge!

Lola said...

Gorgeous water coloring and what a cute cute design!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...