"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Pages

Friday, September 4, 2015

Flashback Friday - Got Backgrounds in Your "Backwoods"? + VIDEO!

Hello friends!
  Did that Summer go flying past or what?!  Although I love Summer and enjoy the flowers and fun activities of the Season, I think I'm ready for Fall and everything that comes with it!!  Looking forward to many fun things in the future for sure!

I promise I didn't forget about Flashback Friday, I've just had some issues with my computer and I'm just getting it resolved, so I'm happy to be able to share a video with you today! :)....ENJOY!!


Welcome to another "Flashback Friday" (click name for more info)!
Are you ready to go back?!  Not only are we taking another trip back in time, but we are literally going to be going 'back' to  BACKGROUNDS!!
Yes, you know you have them and I'm not alone here! That nice PILE of those old background stamps you have lurking on your shelf, in your room or closet?!  Get those back out!

Let's get our old stash back out again and have some fun!
Today, I'm pulling out some OLD Stampin' Up! background stamps that I rarely get out and use!  They are sitting on my shelf in my stamp room waiting and waiting to be inked....so I gave them their wish and had some fun making several cards with them!  (I still have extras to make even more if I want, but I didn't want to bore you with this forever! LOL!)

I have actually used THREE old background stamps on my cards here!  Can you guess what they are?!  Of course the easy one is actually the "background" itself!  LOL!  I have used one of those background stamps for the purpose it was intended for! :)

These are all old Stampin' Up! background stamps dated circa 2005:
Word by Word
Dotted
On the Spot
If you're not familiar with these, they are very large wood mounted rubber stamps that will stamp an entire sheet of 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" piece of card stock!  The ones I'm using here are retired.  But I have tried to elevate them using some newer elements on my designs and tried to get more use out of them by taken them apart to use in different ways.  I just plain had some creative FUN! :)

Would you like to see the process of how I put these ideas together using my old background stamps?  Then I have this quick video for you so that you can get some ideas on how to stretch out your background stamps too!

check out the video below, or CLICK HERE to view it on You Tube or to see it in HD.
*tip* - Once you start playing the video, click on the small box at the bottom right corner to view the video to fill up your entire screen.



And because I had so many extra elements left over from using my background stamps, I decided to just keep going with it and have more fun making extra cards for other Holidays:
As you can see, I kept with the same A2 sized card bases to start with.
For the Christmas card, I used some red and green distress inks for the strips and popped them over my card design and added another cut out sentiment from the background stamp that would go great with my Christmas Word Die from Whimsy Stamps!  I had some old puffy stickers from my stash and added a poinsettia to give it an added design element.

For the "pink hearts" card, I've distressed a strip with pinks for an ombre look and added it to a piece of pink cardstock that was punched with a scallop border at the bottom.  The cut out sentiment from the background was added over top of it.  Then I just die cut out some hearts with the same pink card stock and added my Wink of Stella glitter pen and glossy accents over top of them.

Hope you've enjoyed this "FLASHBACK FRIDAY" and I hope it will inspire you to take a look at those older items you have in your stash in a creative new way!!

Be sure to come back around on Sunday...I have some awesome news!!


Now go have some crafting fun!! :)  Enjoy your weekend friends!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

Challenges:
Retro Rubber - Anything Goes + old stamp


Clear It Out - Theme: Anything Goes - Stash:  Anything Goes

Stampin' Royalty - Circles (used on all cards!) :)

Creative Moments - Anything Goes/Use a Sentiment


34 comments:

Margreet said...

These cards look marvellous, Vicki!
Have a great weekend!
xxx Margreet

Donna said...

These are all fabulous Vicki! Enjoy your weekend, hugs, Donna

jimlynn said...

Great Flashback Friday with those background stamps! I've never seen the stamps before but do love them. Made good backgrounds that you turned in to beautiful cards too.
Lynn

vic said...

These are lovely Vicki well done you! Love how you made the backgrounds they look stunning :)
Have a great day
Hugs
Vic x

Lynn McAuley said...

What cute designs with these rows of polka dots, Vicki! Such fun and eye-catching cards!

Tammy said...

I'm too busy playing with my new stuff! Wonderful cards and great designs. Great background!

Bad Kitty said...

gorgeous

Pat (mspfd) said...

What a great collection of cards for every season/holiday. Inspiring post, Vicki!

Tammy said...

These are gorgeous Vicki!! I love the background you've created with the pops of colors! Fab tutorial too, I love your ombre inking! Enjoy your weekend, my friend!
Big hugs,Tammy

Becca Cruger said...

It's so crazy how that ONE background stamps can make so many different kinds of cards. I like how that green looks against the kraft. Super adorable collection!

VanessaB said...

Fantastic cards! :)

Donna said...

Stunning set of cards Vicki, fantastic warm Autumn colours on the first two and the design looks amazing on the Christmas and Valentine cards...gotta love kraft for Christmas it's perfect! :) Donna ♥ x

Tracey said...

Gorgeous cards Vicki & thanks for the video :o)
Hope you're having a lovely weekend.
Hugs
Tracey
xx

aussie aNNie said...

Gorgeous and love your video.xx♥
 {The Journey Is The Start  aNNie  my personal blog}

Sue said...

Such a fabulous set of cards Vicki, wonderful designs and gorgeous colours too.
hugs Sue xx

Jennifer Scull said...

oh my good golly, I have these stamps SOMEWHERE in my stash.... and it truly made me smile to see what you have done to bring them back to life! love your cards!!!

thank you so much for popping by my blog! I'm finally back from a few months of a blogging break, so will by coming by much more often. :)

enjoy your holiday weekend!

Katy McGloin said...

Vicki, great use of the stamp images for designing your background paper. 2005 was just about the time I was getting to know SU products so I definitely missed out on these... Love the variations and focal images. Thanks so much for including Retro Rubber in your stamping fun this week.

Patricia St Martin said...

Vicki, Great job with those big stamps. I forget I even have them. I enjoyed your video, some good ideas and real simple things. I think the Christmas one is super.
Hugs, Pat♥

Alanna said...

Such fun cards. I love the backgrounds.

Rhonda Miller said...

I love your cards. Thanks for showing the versatility of those backgrounds.

Céline said...

oh wow o fun! love the colors
hugs
céline

Pia S said...

I probably do have a lot of stamps I can use to make my own backgrounds, but I'm also one addicted to DPs. I've got loads of scraps, so I like your idea of using stamps for the background and DPs for the detailing. I'm going to test this, I love how your cards turned out.

Debbie Mageed said...

I need to join your challenge to use my background stamps! I buy them but rarely use them! These are SU? I didn't get into stamping seriously till 2011 so definitely missed out on these. They sure are fun! Wonderful cards!! Thank you for playing along with the Anything Goes theme at Retro Rubber and hope you will come back soon!

MiamiKel said...

You are doing a great job on inking up those old stamps! I {almost} regret letting most of mine go to the It Must Go sale! (but it was for a good cause, so it's okay) :) Love the different themes here and how you made one for each season - brilliant! Now you are a few cards ahead! Love each and every one! ♥ hugs!

Anneke said...

Oh what a lovely cards!! Love them
Hugs Anneke

Greta said...

Very creative & inspiring! Having started collecting stamps 15+ years ago you can imagine how many of mine are buried in drawers!

Davi said...

Cool sets Vicki, I especially love the cup one!!

Asha said...

LOVE the projects and the vid is awesome, as always! :)
hugs, Asha

Sue said...

Great projects. Love the different colors too. Love that you are using some older background stamps,so many stamps, so little time.

Hugs
Sue

nwilliams6 said...

I have two of these stamps - I need to dig mine out now! Fun ways to stretch bg stamps Vicki!!! TFS. Hugz

crafty-stamper said...

Great cards and love the stamps and layouts-I have loads of stamps I no longer use and always reach for B,papers ----must try harder and not use the easier option----don't hold your breath lol I have a stash of paper to get rid of -i mean use artistically!!!now that doesn't look as if it's spelt right :(
carol x

Jane Knudsen said...

Fantastic cards! So cheery and I love the background you made! I love that orange and yellow together! Thanks for playing along with Retro Rubber!!

Monika Reeck said...

wooow with the same stamp set you made different cards they are adorable dear Vicki Love the one with coffee mug my fav one
now I am doing catch up so much to write hope my eyes still can open hehe
hugs, Monika

Miriam Prantner said...

Great set of cards! Love how you used those polka dot strips!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...