"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Pages

Friday, September 18, 2015

Flashback Friday with My Favorite Things

Hello friends!
There's nothing like the feeling of watching the rain from the window and having fun inside stamping in your studio!  It's been very dry here lately so the rain is very welcome right now.
My thoughts have been with those that are going through wild fire disasters and droughts right now.

Welcome to another FLASHBACK FRIDAY!! :)  Woot!
So you are probably used to seeing some old Stampin' Up! products on Fridays, but that's mainly because I own SO MANY older sets from them.  Today is a bit different though!

So...several years ago I have been familiar with My Favorite Things, but never really purchased a whole lot from them.  Mainly because of so many other things I was "into" at the time! LOL!
I had actually won a gift certificate from them from somewhere and I really don't remember for what or where, but I went "shopping" with my gift certificate and this was the VERY thing that I have ever gotten from them.

The ONLY thing, believe it or not, that I "purchased" with my gift certificate there was this:
These are the MFT Die-namics Open Hexagon Borders.
Now, I do not exactly how old these dies are, but I do know that I've had them for a few years now.  I've purchased from them here and there, but I've found myself being more involved with them lately as they have many "cool" things in their shop! :)  Which I know they always have, but for some reason, it has especially peeked my interest within the last couple of years.
So I've pulled them out and decided to collaborate them with some of my newer MFT products!
Here's what I came up with:

So although this may look a bit simple, it took a bit to put together as you can see from the nature of the hexagon dies that I've used for this shown above! :)

I've used my newer background stamp from MFT called Roses All Over Background and inked it up with the yellow ink over yellow card stock and then did it again with the teal colored card stock with teal colored ink.  I then ran the hexagon border die over them and saved the hexagon centers and used those for a pattern to fill in after I've used the outline border strips with the orange colored card stock.  They were all pieced together inside the circle.

For the circle, I've used the MFT Stitched Circle dies for the circle cut in the center of the square card as well as the black border around the inside of it.  (Although you can't see the stitched edges, it's what I had to use to make the circle cut out.)  The hexagon background was attached to the back of those layers.

For the butterfly, I've used some dye ink pads and mixed the inks together onto a piece of watercolor paper and then cut out a butterfly with the MFT Flutter of Butterflies and then I cut out the outlined butterfly with the MFT Flutter of Butterflies - Lace with black card stock and glued it over the watercolor butterfly.  Of course I couldn't help but add some Wink of Stella to the wings! :)

For the sentiment banner, I've used another OLD MFT stamp set called "Silhouette Cameos".  I know it's old enough that they don't carry it in the store any more.  But I've taken the sentiment from it and made my own banner with my scissors for it and tucked it inside the circle frame.
(This older stamp set came from a surprise package that I got for donating for a charity several months ago.  It's a cool set that I hope to get out again.)

I hope you've enjoyed my simple FLASHBACK FRIDAY today! :)
Thanks so much for joining me!!
Be sure to stop by again on Sunday where I will have a new post for you!  Enjoy your weekend!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

CHALLENGES:
My Favorite Things (MFTWSC246) - sketch


This is my THIRD card...crossing my fingers!

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday - DIE CRAZY...I think I went there!! :)

29 comments:

jimlynn said...

You have more patience than I do Vicki! I would have gone nuts putting all those hexagons in a circle - but it turned out wonderful and I love it! So pretty and the butterfly is a perfect touch.
Lynn

crafty-stamper said...

A lot of patience lol love the stmped paper and the hexagon pattern put together it almost looks padded-brilliant
carol x

Pat (mspfd) said...

This is gorgeous! Fabulous take on the sketch, Vicki. Have a great weekend!

Kim said...

Those hexagons look amazing. Love love your piecing with them :-)

Tammy said...

Gorgeous! Love the rich colors and the butterfly is sensational!

Jennifer Scull said...

what a great card using this die set! I haven't pulled this one out in ages!

hope you have a great weekend! :)

Creations by Shirl said...

ooh this is so pretty Vicki! I was contemplating on getting this die but haven't got it yet...LOL! I love dise and I'm a hoarder.....

Bad Kitty said...

great card! hugs

Shelly Schmidt said...

How beautiful- love this pretty pieced hexagon in a circle and love the beautiful butterfly! I am very visual, so always love to see color combos that are pleasing to the eye- this is an awesome combo and I love the little touch of pattern on the hexagons as well.

Sue said...

What a pretty design you created with those dies, Vicki, doesn't look simple to me. Beautiful colors and papers too.

Hugs
Sue

Asha said...

Fabulous card, friend. Love the colours - so bright and cheerful. I find puzzle piecing strangely therapeutic... and to me the hexagon centre look like FUN! LOVE his card. Have a lovely weekend!
hugs Asha

Pollard Carole said...

Fabulous your design is stunning just loving it Love and hugs Carole x

Donna said...

Stunning card Vicki, beautiful bold colours with the black contrast and the butterfly is stunning. I don't own many MFT dies either but regularly use the ones I have :) Donna ♥ x

aussie aNNie said...

Brilliant make including fab papers and colours.xx
{The Journey Is The Start aNNie my personal blog}

Céline said...

wonderful job on this card
hugs
céline

Olga Jewell said...

I love this!!! Gorgeous!!

Shannon McComb said...

I love that hexagon circle!! Your design is flawless. Very pretty :)

NanaConnie said...

WOW, Vicki! Fabulous work with the hexagons (and yes, I know how much work that was!) and I love the fact that you put them into a circle. Great take on that sketch.

Tammy said...

WOW this is gorgeous Vicki!! I love the fab hexagon background and your beautiful colors!
Big hugs, Tammy

Hettie said...

Wonderful card there Vicki. Love the background.
Hugs
xx

Monika Reeck said...

Oh Vicki
do you know what is in my mind
CLEVER YOU
to use this sketch and use the DIES you have
so so clever and love the color combo and the pattern on the hexagon and the butterfly add a great texture on your adorable card LUV THIS!!and I was having no idea using that sketch
I will not join this time cause my DIES is not available this time hehe
happy weekend sweet friend
see you soon on my blog ...dont worry take your time sweet Vicki
hugs, Monika

VanessaB said...

Wow. That's gorgeous!

Davi said...

WOW is that awesome Vicki!! I love the color you used and the butterfly with it!

MiamiKel said...

Have mercy I haven't seen a card this fabulous in forever!! WOW! So much detail and burst of color - seriously, awesomesauce!!! Your card is surely to be a winner - LOVE LOVE this! ♥ Way to go on making what's old new again! :)

Pia S said...

I'm sure it was quite fiddly to put together, but it was so worth your efforts. With your color choices I find this design contemporary and elegant, a well designed card.

Jingle said...

This card is fabulous! So pretty! Thanks so much for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge blog!

Miriam Prantner said...

Gorgeous card and great take on the sketch! Love how you used the background and your color choices!

nwilliams6 said...

Super fun way to use that old die Vicki! I love how you added some newer things from MFP to make it fresh. Super well done. Hugz

Donna said...

Cool card Vicki, you come up with the best ideas, very inspiring!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...