"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Multi-Colored Masked Background with Requested Video!!

Hello friends!
Hope you are all having a great week so far!

As I've been started to create more videos, I have had some viewers request seeing some things in particular. So here's the first video that has been requested with more coming! :)
I would rather put together videos that would be something you would all enjoy or are interested in learning from me, so please share your thoughts and/or requests with me.  Love hearing from you guys! :)  Hopefully as I continue to do videos, they will also improve! (It's much harder than you think it is to leave out the word "um"!!)

Today I am also featuring a darling image from the Whimsy Stamps October New Release as well!  And in case you've missed the blog hop, be sure to CLICK HERE to see all of the new products!

Here are both of the cards that I made with this technique I call "Mulit-Colored Masked Background":
I have done two different versions of this so that you can see the different kinds of looks you can achieve just by changing up the colors.  I used some blues, greens and purples in the first card and then used several different colors on the second card.

So the card that is featured in the video and that you'll see me create is the colored one:
I have used the ADORABLE penguin image from Whimsy Stamps called "Santa Stop Here" by Krista Heij-Barber from the Drawn with Character collection for Whimsy Stamps.  This was one of the newly released images this month.  (I have a useful tip about this rubber stamp as well shown in the video below, so be sure to catch that!)

This image was stamped onto a piece of white card stock and then masked so that I could create that background behind the image with out messing up the image.  I have colored it in with my Copic markers as well as adding a few other details that you will also see in the video below.

To check out how to create this fun background I made for this card above, see my video below:
CLICK HERE to see on You Tube - Hope you enjoy!





Here's the card I had previously made that was requested a video for:
This one is a bit different than the ones above, but you can see how easy it is to change it up by making the spacing larger or changing the colors.  And of course if you change the dies you use to create your mask with, then you will also change the look of it.

In addition, if you use lighter or heavier pressure when you are adding the color, this will make a difference as well.  This one is VERY light with everything I did with it including the colors I've used.  I stamped directly over top of my background because it's a more solid image.  Just by changing a few things to tweak this technique, you can create whatever look you're going for.

Here's the other penguin card I made:
I have done exactly the same method with the "Santa Stop Here" image and masked it off to do the "Multi-Colored Masked Background" with just changing up the colors by using more of the blue and green inks.  This gives it more of a wintry type feel I think.  I also decided to change it up a bit by spritzing over top of the background with some water.  It's very faint, but I think you can see some of the water droplets in the background.

In addition to this, I just added my snowfall with a white gel pen and then added some faux snow to the bottom of the card for the snow covered ground.

Hope you've enjoyed my cards using the new release from Whimsy Stamps as well as the video!
Thanks so much for popping in today!!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

CHALLENGES: (For Penguin Cards ONLY)
Lil' Patch of Crafty Friends - Anything Goes
Come & Get It! - Baby, It's Cold Outside! (Keep Warm)
Merry Monday - Frame It! (The "Santa Please Stop Here! sign)
Crafting by Designs - Getting Ready for Christmas
Penny's Paper - Anything Goes

48 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

Fabulous Tutorial, Vicki! Thanks for explaining it using new tools and ideas! Love the blue snowy coldness of the first card, and the vibrant happiness in the 2nd card - looks almost like the Northern lights headed south! LOL hugs, de

Bad Kitty said...

this is amazing cards!
Love this penguins!
your video is great!
and this other card is very pretty.
hope you having a nice day
hugs

Irene's Creations said...

That was a GREAT tutorial. Beautiful cards. Thank you very much.

Margreet said...

Loved your video, Vicki....this is a great technique....thanks for sharing!
xxx Margreet

Shelly said...

Oh, these are soooo cute!!
Great video, too! ;)

Chrissy said...

Those backgrounds are so effective and gorgeous Vicki..love the cute images too, have not watched the video yet, just waiting for the kettle to boil..but I'm sure to learn something here and can use this technique on my mixed media too..off to watch the video now, coffee made and all comfy..thanks for sharing.

luv CHRISSYxx

coldwaters2 said...

Wowzer Vicki these are spectacular, colourful, cute and adorable, the image are delightful the backgrounds are AMAZING, wow brilliant work.
hugs
lorraine x

Heather North said...

Love your rainbow background and those cute little penguins! Thanks for including a video!

jimlynn said...

Both are wonderful! I love the backgrounds you created - and the way you did them. The faux snow is perfect. Great cards!
lynn

VanessaB said...

ohmygosh!! these are all soooo amazing!! loooove!

Sarah said...

Wow Vicki, that was a joy to watch. What a brilliant technique and the finished result is incredible...even I could manage that!! Thank you lovely lady xx

Karen D. said...

great cards...really enjoyed the video..thanks very much!

Monika Reeck said...

Wooowww
I really enjoyed too looking at your video Vicki
sooo lovely technique and I never used acetate I always use piece of paper
and it will be smear also my stencil to cover its dirty hehehe
I love the image too so cuutee
and great colored as Always my dear
may I ask you where can I buy this kind of masking tape
I never found it in Germany
if you dont mind if it come my Bday would you mind send me one Pieces only to try?
I will fly to USA and buy stamping stuff but I have no family there hehe maybe next 2 years I will plan and visiting you my sweet Friend
thanks for the video and your past card also beautifull with that masked background...
hugs, Monika

PS: thanks for your comment to my ATSM card did you see the second card Vicki?It is a lady using batik skirt (Indonesian traditional cloth) will be happy if you like to look it dear...

Asha said...

You know I love this bg. Super stunning and thank you for sharing the technique. This is new to me. So impressed. Big hugs to you and little Mocca.
xxx Asha

Sue said...

WOW! Such stunning backgrounds Vicki. I love the colours and of course the adorable penguins.
hugs, Sue xx

Carol L said...

This is a wonderful collection of cards with those colorful backgrounds! The rich colors look just as pretty as the pastels! Now I'm off to view the video you kindly made for us - thanks!

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous card and they looks so different in the different colourways -cannot get the vidoe to work just keeps uploading so will try tomorrow
Carol x

Tammy said...

Both cards are absolutely adorable! I love the images and I especially love the purple and teal!

Bonnie said...

Amazing backgrounds and adorable penguins! Love that "snow" on the blue one! Thanks, Vicki, for sharing this with us at Merry Monday!

Creations by Shirl said...

Those cards rock - love the cuteness and how you did those backgrounds...
I love penguins too....

Susangail Powell said...

Great video and awesome cards!! I love all the fun colors you used. Thanks for playing along.

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful and amazing creation today...just love this design. Your video is fabulous, just wondering if you have to let the ink dry before applying the next layer although the DI almost dry immediately?? xxx
{The Journey Is The Start aNNie my personal blog}

Dr Sonia S V said...

I hardly ever watch videos but loved yours...so beautifully demonstrated and so gorgeous both the cards look
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Deepti said...

Awesome creations :)

Notes by Nina said...

Beautiful cards, Thanks for joining us for Merry Monday

Desire Fourie said...

These are stunning creations and perfect for our 20th ‘ANYTHING GOES’ challenge. Thanks for sharing your talent with us. Good luck.
Hugs
Desíre
{Lil Patch of Crafty Friends DT Member}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Vicki Dutcher said...

Awesome video I love the finished effect aND I plan on trying this! TFS

Wendy Batchen said...

WOW this was so inspiring, thank you so much for sharing. I will definitely be trying this technique out. x

Edith said...

This looks great, love the bright colors! I´m an addict to making backgrounds so I definitely have to try this technique too!
Thanks for the detailed video!
Edith

Bunny said...

The background is very pretty. I love the image. Thank you for joining us at Come And Get It challenge. Bunny DT

Pia S said...

Beautiful colorful backgrounds, the choice and the numbers of colors do make them look very different. Love them!

Shannon McComb said...

Oh! cute, cute , cute!! Fun backgrounds!

Tammy said...

Vicki your penguin cards are adorable!! I love how you've created the background, fabulous tutorial too!! Love that faux snow on your second card also!
Hugs, Tammy

CaroleAnn said...

Vicki
I loved this video!! But once I got to the bottom the card with the trees I have to say was my fave!! What a great idea with distress inks. I am just starting to discover my distress inks (had them for ages but....) so now I have lots of acetate so I can't wait to find another "play" time to try this out!!! So so inspiring you are and I have to find out about that masking background!!! Hugs

CaroleAnn said...

Vicki
A question - what did you use for your masking paper? I wanted to order some masking paper but wanted to ask what you used. Thanks for all your help!! Big Hugs

Karen said...

Wow! You are one talented cookie! Your cards are gorgeous and I'm so appreciative of your tutorial. Thank you for the inspiration. I'm fluttering in from Merry Monday, where it's a joy to play along with you this week! Have a lovely day. :o)

Hugs and blessings,
Karen

Eliz S said...

Thank you for sharing the multi colored background... I just love it!

NanaConnie said...

WOW! What spectacular backgrounds, Vicki! I know this took some time but it was well worth it.

Renata said...

Krasne voščilnice! Zelo so mi všeč.

Rhonda Miller said...

Wow, I love the backgrounds. Your cards are all fabulous.

Agi said...

Cute and amazing cards, Vicki! The coloured background is beautiful!

Patricia St Martin said...

Done it again... Loved your wonderful video and learned something new, thanks for sharing.
Hugs, Pat

Susan Joyce said...

Beautiful Christmas cards. Love you Multi Coloured Technique. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday.

Kim Kutie said...

Very nice cards, I love those backgrounds. Thanks for joining us at Penny's Paper Crafty Challenge.

Davi said...

INCREDIBLE backgrounds you created and the cards are all BEAUTIFUL!! What a super job ;)

Michelle said...

Stunning work - really special - thank you for joining us this time at Penny's Paper-Crafty and good luck - Michelle x

Team Clark said...

This is such a cool technique. I just did this on a tag last night! Great minds... ;0. You are so creative! Hugs, Autumn

Bożena Adamusińska said...

Unusual cards, I like very much. A wonderful inspiration.
HNY,
hugs BozenA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...