Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Whimsy Stamps Wednesday - Polished Stone + video!

Hello friends!!
Hope you are having a wonderful week so far!
I have a fun technique to share with you today for more ideas to use with your
  Whimsy Stamps!
If you have been in the crafting world for a few years, then you  are probably aware of the
"Polished Stone" technique.
(If not, then you really do want to check out the video below to see what a cool look you can achieve with it!)

Over the years, since I first learned of this technique, there are some products that have come out since then which makes getting this look much easier.  So in the video below, I will share with you THREE different ways you can achieve the look of "Polished Stone".  The first method is probably the most economical and oldest version.

Here are some finished projects that I've done using these techniques:
I have used a variety of the techniques from the video and have created SEVERAL pieces actually that really only took a matter of minutes to get the really amazing results you see!
So if you want to see how I've achieved these unique looks, check out the video below!
You can choose the colors, and even the patterns you'd like for each design you make as well!
If you want to make up some really fast Christmas cards, this is an excellent way to do that!

So check out the video below and I will share a closer look at each one of my projects after that:
*To see this video on You Tube or watch in HD - CLICK HERE*
Be sure to toggle the bottom right corner of the video after you hit play to view in full screen mode!
Hope you ENJOY!

So as you saw in the video, there are actually a few different versions that you could try out with some products that you have on hand at home!  Also depending on your preferences or style, you can choose the different methods to see what you like.  I will say that the video as well as the photos really do not show how really pretty this looks!  The glossy card stock really makes it shine along with the metallic ink for a brilliant stone look.  I hope that you are inspired to try a background out for yourself to see what you can come up with!
And in the video, you saw that I've made DIFFERENT background than the ones I've created on the finished cards...so now I have several more finished backgrounds to complete more cards!  Yay for getting one step closer to getting Christmas cards made! :)

So here are some closer looks at the creations that I've made with some other "Polished Stone" backgrounds that I've made in addition to the ones shown in the video:

Card 1 - FIRST METHOD:  Rubbing Alcohol
The first card here is finished with the 1st method of "Polished Stone".  For this one, I've used more silver with just some touches of a blue turquoise and gray colors in my design...thought it helped with the wintry feel of the design.

For the image, I've used this adorable image from Crissy Armstrong called "I'd Follow You Anywhere" and then embossed a sentiment from the Clearly Whimsy Stamp set called "Scandi Christmas".  Yes, you CAN heat emboss over the DRY alcohol, it won't "blow up" on you or anything! LOL!!  Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation when you seal the background and make sure it is completely dry before you do any other altering to it.

I've colored this sweet image with some Copic markers and cut it out to pop it up over top of the sparkly snow hill that I've cut out with the Whimsy Shapeology die set - Stitched Border Trio Die.  I've also die cut out the Polished Stone background panel to pop up over an A2 sized card base.  I attached a few snowflake sequins and placed some rhinestones in the center for more sparkle.

Card 2 - SECOND METHOD - Copic Refills
So here's just another fun way to use those backgrounds besides 'just' for backgrounds!
On this card, I've taken the Whimsy Shapeology Balloon Die Set to cut out some balloons from my finished "Polished Stone" background!

For the background on this, I've used the "drop" method to make some "splatters" in addition to some Tim Holtz gold alcohol additive ink with the "drop method" and then I picked up the panel and let it "run" all over the card background to make the pattern you see in the balloons.  I tied some gold cord to them and popped up the ones in the front and wrapped the gold cord around the front card base.

I kept this one a CAS design and used the images from the Clearly Whimsy stamp set called "Happy Everything" which I embossed the "happy" sentiment with white EP over the black strip of card stock and then stamped the strip of gold stars with some gold ink.  I then stamped the "birthday" sentiment in black ink at the bottom and layered this white card front over top of a white A2 sized card base.  Simple, fun and the balloons really POP with the "Polished Stone" technique! :)

Card 3 - THIRD METHOD - Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol Inks
OK, this is probably my most favorite and, in my opinion, probably the easiest way to achieve this look!  This is achieved with the Tim Holtz Adirondack alcohol inks.  Of course he has a special applicator along with pre-cut felt pieces too!  There are a variety of colors including the metallic colors as well, of course!  I feel like I always have to add the metallic to get that gorgeous"Polished Stone" design when I do this.  It just seems to make it even more dramatic, but of course you don't have to!

So I have to tell you that when I did this background, the red wasn't a deep enough red to go with my DARLING Whimsy Stamps Wee Stamps - Holly image that I already had fully colored in!  So what do you do with that?  I took MORE alcohol ink in a deeper red and went over my background again until I got the look I wanted to achieve! :)  So just remember you can always go back to add more layers of color if you need to change it up!  You might even like it better! :)

And of course you can't see the stunning gold as well in the photo for my "Polished Stone" background, but I wanted to help bring some of that out by adding a gold mat of card stock behind this sweet image as well as on my "merry" sentiment from the Clearly Whimsy Stamp set "Christmas Greetings".  The image itself has some gold coloring on the bells she's wearing and I've also added some gold thread and looped it behind the image panel as well.
I've cut out the Whimsy Shapeology "Large Christmas Die" sentiment in white to go at the bottom and then added this "Polished Stone" panel onto a white A2 sized card base.

So alcohol IS a good thing to craft with in this case!! :)
I hope that you have been inspired and have enjoyed my video showing you how to do this technique!  Please let me know if you have tried this out yourself...I would love to see what you come with using one of these methods!!

Thanks so much for dropping by friend!!
Have a wonderfully crafty fun week!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

CHALLENGES:
Card 1 - Polar Bear and Penguin
Winter Wonderland - "Pick Up a Penguin!"
Send a Smile 4 Kids - Early Holiday Wishes 4 Kids
Penny's Paper - Anything Goes

Card 2 - Birthday Balloons
Cute Card Thursday - masculine
Alphabet Challenge - "Q" for Quick and Simple
Everybody Art - Card for a Man

Card 3 - Fairy Merry Christmas
Moving Along with the Times - "Fairy Enough"
Crafty Catz - Fantasy/Fairies
Deep Ocean - Fairies & Angles

38 comments:

Bad Kitty said...

your video is great!
and cards are gorgeous !
have a nice day
hugs

Margreet said...

You're great in making video's Vicki...so clear!
Love all cards, but number 3 is my favorite!
xxx Margreet

alexandra s.m. said...

Stunning Cards dear Vicki!
Love all the details and you rocked the video!!

Donna K said...

How lovely of you to share these technique with us Vicki! They are definitely unique and so gorgeous. Each of your cards is amazing...can't choose a favorite one today but the I'd follow you anywhere card is SO adorable!! I have to check out your videos now for sure. Have a lovely day today!!

Shannon McComb said...

Wow!! All three cards are just amazing!! Beautifully done Vicki!!

Sarah said...

What a fabulous technique and each one totally individual too xx

Chrissy said...

Gorgeous backgrounds Vicki,so effective and gorgeous cards..fabulous images and colouring..

luv CHRISSYxx

francesca said...

lovely cards!!
I'm doing my first GIVEAWAY over at my blog, be sure to check it out!! :)

Olga Jewell said...

Absolutely beautiful!!

Wendy L said...

Such a pretty card, thanks for joining us at MAWTT, xxx

Alanna said...

Awesome cards Vicki. Your coloring is fabulous. Can't wait to watch the video.

Sue said...

Three awesome cards. Love the polar bear and penguin, so darn cute. The balloons turned out awesome, and the red background looks wonderful with that sweetie. The gold in the red looks wonderful. I have some old white and it also looks great with this technique. Awesome cards all, Vicki.

Hugs
Sue

Stamping Smiles Designs said...

Great video, Vicki! Love the polish stone looks! And your trio of cards are awesome! Beautifully designed and a job WELL DONE!

Tammy said...

Top horos on the beautiful backgrounds! I especially love the polar bear card!

Tammy said...

Three stunning cards Vicki, I love your polished stoned backgrounds!! Gorgeous colors on the balloon card and the images are so cute on the other two cards, fab tutorial as always my friend!
Hugs, Tammy

CaroleAnn said...

Vicki
Loved your video - I forgot about this method of coloring backgrounds - love it and your videos are so well done. I just received a birthday present called Brushos and I am so excited to use them. It seems like there is a ton of stuff you can do with them. Can you do a video on that sometime? You are so talented I am sure you will blow us away with whatever you design! Big Hugs

Lola said...

Great video tutorial. I tried this long ago and my stuff didn't turn out nearly as nice as yours. Maybe some day I will give it another try.

Cazro said...

A wonderful tutorial, greatly appreciated. I do like the effect you have with Card No 2 , enatered into our challenge. Thanks for joining us at Alphabet Challenges. Caz DT

Céline said...

so gorgeous, love each design
hugs
céline

Patricia St Martin said...

All the cards are wonderful Vicki, enjoyed your video. I love that you do these videos because their is so many things I forget as throughout the years we forget so much. Forgot have beautiful the background turn out.
Hugs, Pat

Patti J said...

Cards are beautiful, and your video is wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Amy Cohen said...

Beautifully done- I love seeing new techniques...I have lots of Copic refills and will have to try that method. Thanks so much for joining us at Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenge.
Amy-DT

MiamiKel said...

Woot these are stunning! What gorgeous detail! I will be sure to check out the video the first chance I get as I am curious to this technique! :)

Hugs my friend!

Jenny L said...

Hi Vicki,
what wonderful cards.
Their designs are so wonderful.
Thank you for joining the MAWTT challenge.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

Asha said...

Polished stone ... that is definitely new to me. Never heard of it. Watched your vid and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Very informative and easy to understand. And the cards you made are gorgeous - 3 different looks with the same technique! What a bargain! :)
hugs, Asha

Sybrina K said...

Oh my gosh, what pretty cards! Gonna have to get some shiny paper and put my alcohol inks to use. TFS!

Monika Reeck said...

How did I lost this post.Vickiiii you made not only one..but three adorable cards wohoooo...my fav is the second and third one...lovely video too..thanks for sharing sweety..did you change your banner?looks wonderfull dear

coldwaters2 said...

Wow Vicki what an awesome technique and video, the cards you have made are so beautiful the polished stone effects really do look so real, smashing work.
hugs
lorraine x

Lillian A said...

Wonderful card - saw your adorable creation at SAS4Kids and had to come in to leave a comment. This is sure to bring a big smile to the recipient.

Donna said...

Awesome, awesome tutorial and gorgeous cards Vicki! Have a wonderful weekend!

crafty-stamper said...

Great video and love all the cards the third is my favourite but love those balloons
Carol x

Pia S said...

This technique was new to me.... I always love finding new methods to try.
Your cards turned out really different. I absolutely love the wintery look of your first with all that beautiful sparkle! And your ballon card is really cool. What I also love about it is that it is both gender and age neutral. And your third one is a beautiful version of a sweet and girly Christmas card.

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

These are fabulous! I really love that little girl, she is too darn cute!

Miriam Prantner said...

Great set of cards! I love how you used the different techniques. I think the balloons are my favorite. Love the wonderful texture you got there.

debby4000 said...

Wonderful, gorgeous cards, love how you were able to use the technique for all of them.
Thank you for joining us at Everybody Art Challenge.
luv
Debby

Pat (mspfd) said...

Wowza! Your mojo is in high gear. Beautiful work, Vicki!

nwilliams6 said...

These are wonderful Vicki!!! You are sooo talented and these make me want to try that technique again!!! Hugz

Bev said...

These are beautiful, Vicki, and the video is a great instruction piece! Love the three cards, especially the first card!

Bev
Guneaux Designs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...