Pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Something to Be Thankful For

Hello friends!
Thanksgiving is tomorrow!  I have been thinking about the pecan pie that I'm making and looking forward to eating some...so I'll have to save my stomach some room!! LOL!!
I hope that whatever your plans are for Thanksgiving, you are surrounded by those you love!  This is what I think makes Thanksgiving special! :)

Wanted to share my creation with you today for my guest design spot over at
(Click on photo to be taken to the challenge blog!)

This challenge couldn't be more perfect given the timing!  For this next challenge, we would like to see your "Thanksgiving or Thanks" creations!

Every year this is something that I enjoy doing with my family which is to say one thing that we are thankful for as we go around the room taking turns to hear from each person.  When my boys were younger, they would always say that they didn't know.  My answer was "There is always SOMETHING to be thankful for."  Then I would explain and give a few examples.  Of course after time they would come up with their own imaginative details! :)

Of course another one of our "family traditions" is to watch the "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" movie with Steve Martin and John Candy in it.  Although this is quite a humorous movie, the ending always really touches me when Steve Martin learns something about the other individual he was so rude to the entire time.  He then realized how "thankful" he really was after all.  :)
It's an older movie, but it's one that I've watched every year for as long as I can remember.

Anyway, this actually does lead me to the creation I made today:
I sometimes wonder if adding a bow is something that is just not a "masculine" thing to do, but I showed my hubby this card and he approved and actually called it "pretty"!!  :)

So for this card, I've pulled out some of my older Stampin' Up! stamps to make it.
The tag with the taffeta bow on it comes from the SAB "You Brighten My Day" stamp set in which I embossed it on Soft Suede card stock with white EP and then punched it out with the coordinating Tag Punch.  I also punched out an additional tag in vellum to layer behind it.

The background was stamped with the SU "Hardwood" background stamp with Whisper White ink on a Smoky Slate card stock piece.  The card base is another piece of Soft Suede card stock.  The leaves and acorn were stamped in various coordinating neutral colors with the SU "WonderFall" stamp set.  I ended up fussy cutting out the images and then sponging some ink around the edges to soften up the lines a bit.

One of the leaves as well as the acorn was popped up with some foam squares and then I added a few gold sequins to finish it off.

Hope you've enjoyed my design today and I hope you will take the time to join in the challenge with us!  We'd love to see your masculine style creations!! :)
Thanks for stopping in and enjoy your Holiday Weekend friends!!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

CHALLENGES:
613 Avenue - Anything Goes or Create Your Own Challenge Chart
(I used A2, Thank you & Gold and White)

Everybody Art - Branch or Leaf

Retro Rubber - Anything Goes (Use old stamps)



40 comments:

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous. Love this creation Vicki, the colours and whole concept and colours.xx
 { aNNie}

Bad Kitty said...

very pretty card
have a nice day
>^.^<

nwilliams6 said...

What a great holiday tradition watching that movie! I need to find it and watch it too. Your card is wonderful - great mix of colors, patterns, and items and it still manages to fit CAS. So well done!! Happy Thanksgiving, Vicki - hope it is a great holiday for you. Thanks for all the encouragement you give me!

Shannon McComb said...

Love the soft neutral colors! SO pretty Vicki!

LeAnne said...

Just lovely! I love the soft subtle colors you've used here! I do remember that movie,too, but it's been a while....maybe I'll have to rent it again!
Happy Thanksgiving, my friend!

Becca Cruger said...

I've wondered the same thing about bows. They're such a conundrum aren't they? Regardless, this card is just a breath of fresh air with it's light airy feel. Such a pretty make!

Mac Mable said...

Gorgeous colours and great background stamping in that white. I'm never sure either about bows for the men folk but on this card it really works and that's becuase of the colours, the layout and your talent x

Lori Kobular said...

Love the colors you combined on this gorgeous card!!

Chrissy said...

Happy Thanksgiving Vicki..fabulous card,I love the colours and your design and the bow is a lovely finishing touch.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

I so like the neutral colours, Vicki, it's a very pretty card.

Love and hugs
Maarit

Margreet said...

Fabulous card Vicki....it sure can be sent to a male!
xxx Margreet

Sarah said...

I LOVE this card Vicki, such a super sentiment xx

laurie said...

I love that soft background..and the sentiment is spot on! Happy Thanksgiving!

Pia S said...

The wood patterned background, the neutral colored leaves, the look of the white sentiment on kraft, they're all such beautiful details and I love how you've put everything together. I really like this design...

coldwaters2 said...

Oh my what a wonderful card Vicki that background wood effect as well as the embellishments and sentiment are superb
hugs
lorraine x

Tammy said...

Lovely card! Happy Thanksgiving!

Jerrie said...

What a beautiful card that says it all! I love your neutral tones. Pies are in the overn and looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner with my family tomorrow.

Carol L said...

I just love this card, with that great note tag sentiment! The autumn elements are so pretty and add to the masculine feel of this so well! Well done!

Deborah Frings said...

Absolutely love your card - the colours are just perfect for a masculine style card and that sentiment is just super. I like the touch of sparkle. And the ribbon works. Thanks so much for joining us as our Guest Designer this month - you've been great.

BTW - Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy the movie, it's one I really like too. xxx

Jane Knudsen said...

Very nice! I love all of the detail and I think that a bow doesn't mean it isn't masculine! Love Planes, Trains, and Automobiles! I just started to watch it again tonight! Happy Thanksgiving! Thanks for playing along with us at Retro Rubber!!

Lola said...

Gorgeous card and love the background. Really enjoy reading about your traditions. We usually go out to the movies, but having a thankful movie is a great idea.

Davi said...

VERY pretty Vicki! Love the way you did the leaves and acorn on the cool wood grain backround! Have a blessed Thanksgiving my friend :)

Céline said...

fab card !!!!! love the paper background
hugs
céline

Katy McGloin said...

Wonderful thankful card, Vicki... I recognize all of those wonderful SU products and you showcased them in style. Hope you had a wonderful day today! Thanks for including Retro Rubber in your stamping fun this week.

NanaConnie said...

WOW, Vicki, I LOVE this card! Wonderful fall neutrals and a great design. Congrats on the GDT spot, my friend.

Regina said...

what a wonderful card! The layout is fabulous!

hugs Regina

Monika Reeck said...

I like the color combo
and the Wood grain there wooooww so soft
your hubby is funny hehe but yes it is pretty cause you put ribbon here I never use ribbon on my Manly card
and I am not loving use ribbon that is my problem haha
love the combo of that leaves and that pattern leaves
the hazelnut there is cute
Lovely Card always my dear friend
hugs
Monika

Tammy said...

This is gorgeous Vicki! I love the beautiful sentiment and the fabulous background you've created! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving my friend!
Big hugs, Tammy

VanessaB said...

Awesome fall card

Jenna ♥ said...

Beautiful fall card, Vicki! Great design! Have a great day! Hugs Jenna

Jane said...

Love your neutral colour scheme and that sentiment is so right! Great to have you as GD at The Male Room.

Rocky said...

I love the colours in this card, the wood background looks so real too. Thank you for joining us at TMR as our guest.

Deepti said...

This is so soft and stunning, I love the neutral tones :)

Asha said...

This card certainly isn't Terminator-macho... more like Village People-macho! LOL- Just kidding. The design is simple so you can definitely get away with a neutral ribbon. It isn't a floral or sheer ribbon. It's perfect for a sensitive man. Well done, my friend!
hugs Asha

Sue said...

Beautiful card, created around the wonderful sentiment. So very nice.

Hugs
Sue

Claire Grantham said...

Fab card. I cannot believe that background is stamped, it made me swoon a bit :) Thanks for playing at Retro Rubber. Claire DT

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous male card love the stamped background and great layout
Carol x

sue t. said...

A wonderful card with a truly wonderful sentiment!

Louise van Vuren said...

Hope your thanksgiving was as happy and thoughtful as you made it sound. This is a beautiful card, and I have seen (and made) masculine cards with ribbon before and it looks fine here. Thanks for joining us as Guest DT member this challenge.
Louise xx

Debbie Mageed said...

Beautiful card! I love the neutral colors and the details are done perfectly. Thank you for joining Retro Rubber this week and hope you will join us again soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...