Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2016

A Distressed Skunk & Birdbrain Robot

Hello friends!
Hope you're enjoying your weekend so far.  I'm popping in here with a post today because I simply ran out of hours yesterday and I had a bit of free time today.

I wanted to be sure to play along in some challenges because simply stated, I thought they would be fun to play along with.  So here's what I've made:
For my first card, I have played with some distress inks for the background of card design.  I sponged some blue and pink colors together and then spritzed some water over it to make the watercolor splatters in the background.  I also took some gold watercolor and flicked my paint brush over it to add more speckles to my background.

I have used all Lawn Fawn products on my design here including the Stinkin' Cute stamp set and coordinating dies.  I have also used the Stitched rectangle, stitched circles, stitched hearts and heart stackables dies to complete my design.

I have die cut a couple of hearts from the Stinkin' Cute dies from white card stock and also used some pink distress ink and spritzed it with water before I cut them out.  The other hearts were die cut with vellum and gold card stock and randomly glued over the card.  I have added one of the distressed hearts to the skunk to make it look like he's holding it.

The skunk was colored in with my Copic markers and popped up over the stitched blue circle which was popped up over the black banner strip that I heat embossed the sentiment with white EP over it and used foam tape to pop that up over the background.  I added the rest of the sentiment by stamping it above and below the black strip and then added some sequins to finish it off.  The panel was cut out with the largest stitched rectangle and attached to an A2 sized white card base.

Here's a closer look at the details:
I just used some liquid glue to attach the vellum hearts and popped the edges a bit for a bit of dimension.  I wanted to be seen, but also be a little faded with the background.
I think this turned out really cute...stinkin' cute! :)
(The challenges are listed below in this post.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This seemed to be a Tim Holtz kind of day, so
here's another card I made especially for a unique challenge:
LOL!  I call this creation of mine a "Birdbrain Robot".  This is NOT an actual stamp image, but a combination of two different stamp images that I have put together to make it look like this.

I would've never really thought to do something like this if it weren't for the challenge that I saw over at Splitcoaststampers yesterday!  - (For the Mix-ability challenge - The Chimera Challenge is to combine two different stamps to make a unique creature.)

So this had a bit of thinking involved as to my stamp collection and what I could use to create a unique creature.  I came up with these fun images from my collection of The Alley Way Stamps, which sadly is not in business any longer, but I still think their images are pretty fun and I still enjoy pulling them out from time to time.  So for those of you that KNOW the stamps from this company, I have used "Lighter Than Air" for the robot body and "Birds of a Feather" for the bird head on my creature.  I have also used "All About You" stamp set for the sentiment.

To make this creature, I have masked off the REAL stamp images where I needed to and then lined them up with my MISTI...which made it a breeze honestly, and what didn't get "connected together, I just used my Copic liner pen to connect it so it looks like it was supposed to be one stamped image.  LOL! - really fun and unique!  (It makes me think of the "Creature Feature" movies that were on T.V. very late Saturday nights...spooky! LOL!)  The sentiment I pulled out from the same company just happened to go really well with it.

To make the background, I have pulled out some of my alcohol inks.  First I covered a piece of white card stock with gesso, sprayed it with rubbing alcohol and then pounced the inks over it.  Once it was dry, I dry embossed with an embossing folder (a very old one!) and then I rubbed my VersaMark ink pad over the raised areas and then heat embossed it with silver EP.  I like the "faux metal" look of it.  I hardly ever play with these alcohol inks, so it was really fun just play and come up with something really different.

Here's a closer look at some of the details:
So for the "Birdbrain Robot", I have colored it with my Copic markers and covered the feathers with my Wink of Stella glitter pen.  The cuffs of the robot were colored with a clear gel pen for sparkle.  The buttons on the robot and the eyeballs of the bird were covered with a black gel pen for dimension and shine  (so were the "dots" on the bird head feathers).

The sentiment was stamped in black and then I stamped it in separate colors and cut out the words that I wanted to be shown in color and glued it over top of the black sentiment.  I went around the cut out words with my clear gel pen to make them stand out better.  Both the sentiment and embossed background panels were mounted onto a silver metallic card stock and then placed over an A2 sized black card base.  I punched out and arrow and cut a thin strip of black card stock to add to the design.

I hope you've enjoyed my mix of creations today!
Thanks so much for dropping in and having a look!!  Enjoy your day!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

Challenges for "Distressed Skunk" card only:
Lawnscaping Challenge - distressing

Freshly Made Sketches (FMS242)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenges for "Birdbrain Robot" card only:

Splitcoaststampers - Mix-ablility Challenge - The Chimera (MIX178)

CCEE Stampers (CCEE1625) - Birds

Aud Sentiments - Funny sentiment

TIME OUT - Masculine with optional twist of Mixed Media

42 comments:

Margreet said...

Both cards are gorgeous, Vicki. ...love how you made the backgrounds!
Enjoy your weekend!
xxx Margreet

MaryH said...

#1 is just gorgeous (as well as stinkin' cute). Like how you've blended die & vellum hearts into the background but still show the dimension. Last time I tried to do the water spots, it was a disaster. NOt great with spatters either (and I bought a special brush to do it, NBUS). Love the pastels with the little black skunk, he's just adorable. Like the blackboard look of the sentiment tucked behind his little stinkin' self! Enjoyed reading about the birdbrain robot evolution. This is so clever. The 'metal rings' embossing looks so textured...just as though you'd placed tiny flat metal washers over the surface. The robot is cute as can be, and you picked perfect stamps to pair for this look. TFS & Happy wkend. Hugs

crafty-stamper said...

Both brilliant fun cards -love the watercolour background of the first and the second one is inspired -fabulous combination robot great sentiment and the background is just brilliant-I really love this one
Carol x

Carol L said...

I'm loving the vellum hearts on the first card with that beautiful background you created! The birdbrain robot is a genius idea and I love how you combined images to come up with that! Brilliant and fun!

aussie aNNie said...

Two cute cards Vicki, love the first one with the splashes of colour and the second one is robotically gorgeous.xx {aNNie}

Mac Mable said...

You've made a fabulous job of the first card. Such pretty colours and gorgeous blending. The cutest of card and fabulous sentiment x Very clever how you've combined different stamps to achieve the second card and again what fun. Just love that sentiment you've put together. Thank you so much for the wonderful inspiration today x

Mac Mable said...

Came back to say what a clever and creative background for the second card, looks fabulous! x

Bastelkueken`s Kreative Welt said...

Hello Vicki... .your cards are amazing and so wonderful... fantastic...
wish you a wonderful day
Hugs Anja

Pollard Carole said...

Just brilliant these are fab i just love the great sentiments they are both just perfect Love and hugs Carole x

Elaine Stark said...

Great card. I love the images and sentiment. I like your compilations and backgrounds. Thanks for joining Aud Sentiments challenge. Elaine

Heidi Stamps said...

Very cute!

Pam Watson said...

Love the color combination you chose for you distressing for the skunk card! TFS :)

Sarah said...

LOVE these so much ! xx

Linda Simpson said...

These are fabulous! I love the backgrounds.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Bad Kitty said...

first is so cute!
And this oter card is great

Chrissy said...

Aww..the little skunk IS stinkin'cute Vicki and your robot is adorable too..love your backgrounds.

luv CHRISSYxx

coldwaters2 said...

Two fantastic cards Vicki I especially love the first one that background colour looks so wispy, soft and delicate just like cotton wool, it really compliments that super cute image, the second card is just amazing and such sun
hugs
lorraine x

Shelly said...

Oh, these are just too cute!!

Lynn McAuley said...

I am loving these two delightful creations, Vicky!! How precious!

Karren said...

Fabulous cards! The subtle touch of the heart in the first card is perfect! Thanks so much for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

Lori Kobular said...

Two awesome and fun cards! I love that sweet little stinker on your first card and that robot is so cool!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, these are so fun!

Davi said...

WEll Vicki, you outdid yourself on the VERY cool cards!!I love the sweet skunk and pretty background! The Awesome metal look background on the robot on is just too cool and so perfect with him :)

Elise C. said...

Aw, the skunk card is so cute! I really like the colorful background! Thanks for playing along with us at Lawnscaping!! :)

alexandra s.m. said...

You make the most adorable cards ever Vicki!
I love that background too!!
HUgs~

Tammy said...

Awww both of these are sooo cute Vicki! I love that sweet little skunk and your beautiful background! What a fun robot card and I love how you've colored him, awesome background here too!
Hugs, Tammy

MiamiKel said...

Get out!! Both are these cards are off the hook fabulous!!!! I love LOVE your Lawn Fawn card with it's cuteness and soft background distressing - and in such eye catching colors! How funny to see your TAWS card, I just inked up their Jolly Holiday set a few days ago (yep, in the middle of summer, lol) I, too, was quite sad when they closed down but how absolutely GENIUS to use two stamps to create one image! Brilliance, my friend! ♥ Inky hugs!

Patti said...

OMGosh too stinkin cute is right and your brain dead robot is hysterical! I love the background you created for BOTH of your cards!!

Hope you are having a great week so far!

Patti

Donna said...

Your first card is just adorable and the second one is so fun, great cards Vicki!

Monika Reeck said...

the robot Birdie is cuuutee and lovely sentiment too in those colors cool hair with colors in rainbow and the background in silver fantastic loveeeee
the card with critter tooo cuuteee
stinking cute and I adore the sketch
lovely background Vicki
I dont make so much card and walking on the blog land Vicki ..my hubby is traveling I am alone with the kids so less time for me self hehe
hugs
Monika
PS: and I just did catch up hope you see my comment (wrong typing to other post haha now here copy paste)

Lynn McAuley said...

We love having your fabulous mechanical bird in our Bird Challenge this week at CCEE Stampers, Vicki!! So very unique and one-of-a-kind!! Awesome!

Donna Ellis said...

LOL! Fabulous stamp sets, and delightful cards, Vicki! Wonderful coloring, and such cute and beautiful designs! Hugs, de

Samantha Casey said...

Super fun cards! I really love how you use distress products! Thank you so much for playing the Lawnscaping Challenge!
-Samantha

Audrey said...

Such great cards! I especially love your ink blended background on the first one! Beautiful! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Lawnscaping Challenges! :)

Lola said...

Great cards and your second card is very unique with a wonderful sentiment!

laurie said...

Great set of cards Vicki! I like how you did the sentiment for that cute lil skunk. Your other card is amazing too..that embossed background turned out awesome!You have such fun ideas!

Jill Vickers said...

Great cards! I absolutely love the background you created on the second one - those metallic circles are so fabulous - and the subtle colours from the alcohol inks add the perfect amount of interest! I love the combination of stamps to create the fun image too! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out! Jill

Céline said...

fabulous as always
hugs
céline

Lisa Kind said...

Your cards are so cute! Thanks for taking the Time Out to play with us!

Jerrie said...

OH HOW CUTE~ your card is darling vicki and I love your background!!

nwilliams6 said...

Both cards have wonderful bgs! Very creative, my friend. Love the chicken robot - now that is FUN! Hugz

Asha said...

Oh... sooo stinkin' cute! And I love the distressed background. I've tried in vain to get that watery distressed. You've blended the colours so well together.
hugs Asha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...