"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Saturday, August 13, 2016

It's Camp Create time with Monochromatic Magic & Awesome Ombre!

Hello friends!!
Are you ready for another MFT Camp Create week on my blog?!!  I think I'm going to try to have a go at this although my plate is completely full right now with other DT duties, I can't help but want to spend this very hot and humid week in my craft room is all! :)

*Edited*
I had actually started this post on Tuesday believe it or not, but got super busy with things.  I was actually hoping to stay on top of things, but here I go trying to catch up before the deadline once again!!  LOL!!

WHEE!  So here we go with another MFT Camp Create Session:
For the first day of Camp Create, which was yesterday MONDAY, the challenge was to create a monochromatic design.  I happen to love several of the MFT colors and decided to incorporate one in particular that I bought not too long ago on my design:
I have used both the MFT ink and card-stock color Spearmint for my card here.  With the soft green color, I thought that this MFT Sea Life stamp set would go really good with this color design.  I have also decided to incorporate the closed MFT sketch challenge for my design.  I had actually started this card yesterday and thought that I was going to finish it up in plenty of time! LOL!! (More details about that below! insert snort!)  I have used the MFT Stitched Square Frames and the MFT Stitched Circle dies Stax for the layout of my card here.

I was very close to throwing this one out and actually did.  Amazingly, I didn't throw in the trash all ripped up like I normally do because after I left it alone a while, the design started to come through and so I ended up salvaging it!  To explain the reason behind this, I was trying, for the first time, a technique that I had learned about on Splitcoaststampers and wanted to try it out.  It's called Watercolor Lifting.  So what I did was combine the ink smooshing technique on my design and incorporate it with this technique.  The background fish are color lifted and they weren't showing up at all with my background...so I tossed it in the trash!  I came back about an half hour or so later and really noticed that the fish had all the sudden magically appeared in the trash can...so I dug it out!  I used the same ink color and stamped the seaweed at the bottom of the card.

I finished it off by white heat embossing another fish and die cutting it out with the coordinating die and I've also heat white embossed the sentiment over the Spearmint card stock and cut that out with the Stitched circle dies.

Here you can better see some of the details of the embossing and background fish.  I finished off the card with some sparkling white sequins and added some Nuvo glitter in the centers.  I've also added a dot of it to the eyeball on the embossed fish.

At first I thought it was too much of the one color, but thinking of the theme with the fish, I think the color worked out really well with the design because I like how soft and light it feels.

CHALLENGES FOR THIS CARD:
1.  MFT Camp Create Day 1 - Monochromatic MAGIC
Here's the badge I've earned for this challenge:

2.  Splitcoaststampers Try a New Technique Challenge (TLC598) - Watercolor Lifting

3.  Addicted to Stamps & More - Anything Goes


4.  Just Us Girls - Water-Coloring

5.  Crafty Boots - Use a Stamp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------


So, for the second day of Camp Create, it's called "Awesome Ombre" which is obviously to create an ombre look on your design.  I always love the way this looks especially on simple style cards!  So here's my take on this one:

Do any of you have those Clarity Brushes?  I was wondering how you all felt about them if you do and if they're worth getting or not.  They seem to be extremely popular right now.

I don't have these brushes, so I've used my ink foam blending tool and distress inks over the MFT Diagonal Stripes stencil.  I've used the Black Soot, Hickory Smoke & Pumice Stone distress inks and blended the colors together to get the black to light gray/stone color.  I've also used the same colors to sponge over the MFT Thanks Die-namics word that I cut out with Neenah Solar White card stock.  I left the cut out die inside the scrap piece that I used so that it would be easier to hold while I sponged the colors over it.  It's hard to see in the photo here the transition in colors on the word, but it looks very cool in person!  You can also see that I've used my Spectrum Noir clear glitter pen over top of it.  It really sparkles so pretty in person too! :)

I thought I'd finish it off by adding some sequins from the MFT Signature Sparkly Mix and then covering the centers with some Nuvo Glitter Drops.



CHALLENGES FOR THIS CARD:
1.  MFT Camp Create Day 2 - Awesome OMBRE
Here's the badge I've earned for this challenge:
2.  Stampin' Royalty - Anything Goes

3.  Brown Sugar - Anything Goes

4.  Crafty Friends - Anything Goes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for such a long absence, but now I'm back to blogging!  I will be posting several days in a row now so I can catch up with Camp Create!! LOL!!

Thanks so much for dropping by this evening!  I will be back real soon... tomorrow... for another post sharing my Camp Create cards with you!!  Hope you are having a great weekend!!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*


27 comments:

My Crafty Place - Sharyn Polesel said...

Beautiful monochromatic card....I love the soft green. Your smooshing and watercolor lifting techniques make this very special. Thanks for playing along with us at Just Us Girls!

Heidi Stamps said...

I love both cards. The spearmint is such a pretty color to do monochromatic with. I love the frame there to set things off. The Ombre card is a great classy look for any recipient! Way to go with the challenges!

aussie aNNie said...

I was eagerly waiting for your next showcase and wow, these are something to wait for. Love the green one in particular and I don't normally go for green but wow, it's gorgeous. Love the mono colours.xx hugs xxx
{aNNie}

Dee's Craft Room said...

Two fabulous cards, great monochromatic design. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

Dionne

Donna said...

Beautiful monochromatic cards Vicki, your underwater scene is fabulous in light green, so glad you pulled it out of the trash can, and the ombre card is very striking. I haven't tried the clarity brushes yet, the stamping store by me has them on order. Have a good week.

Emma Sims said...

Your cards are so stylish. Thank you so much for joining us at Addicted to Stamps and More. Good Luck!
Emma - Design Team member

Linda Simpson said...

These are wonderful Vikki, love the designs.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Lori Kobular said...

Both cards are great, but I really love the all green card with that adorable fish!

laurie said...

Love both your designs Vikki...that monochromatic card is SO awesome! That shade of green is so perfect for your underwater scene. The MFT classes sound fun!

Leigh Penner said...

These are wonderful! I was tempted to order the fish set this week with the sale, but they were sold out of the coordinating dies....

Tammy said...

WOW two gorgeous cards Vicki!! I absolutely LOVE your fish themed card, awesome technique and what a beautiful spearmint color! I love the clean design on your ombre card and the shimmer is gorgeous! I hope you are enjoying your Sunday!
Hugs, Tammy

Donna Ellis said...

ooooh! Beautifully done monochrome themed cards, Vicki! I love the green one with all the stamping and shiny textures. Your layers are a great way of featuring each stamp and die cut - so pretty! Your ombre brown tones is also wonderful! Perfect for a masculine card or feminine receiver! Both are so happy with the little sequins dancing on the cards! hugs, de

Chrissy said...

Ooo..I love the soft greens Vicki and fabulous background and design..I also love the 0mbre stripes and as always your sequins are so perfectly placed..two awesome cards.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Linda Simpson said...

Beautiful card, thank you for joining us over at Brown Sugar this time. We look forward to seeing you again.
Hugs
Linda xxx
Brown Sugar DT

Bad Kitty said...

hi
two woderful cards!
lots of hugs!
Fiki

Pia S said...

Good thing you fished out those fish from the trash again! What an awesome looking background and fantastic color!
Clarity brush? Dont know about them, but now I've gotten so curious I'll probably look that up, lol. Fantastic ombré look, cool design, works for a man or woman equally.

Sarah said...

Who knew monochromatic cards could be so wonderful!! These are incredible xx

Asha said...

The sea green monochromatic card is stunning. You've captured the tranquility for the sea... so peaceful. The second is ...WOW. The understated elegance makes tis card so special Best of all ... it's unisex! LOVE it.
hugs Asha

Monika Reeck said...

The SEA card is lovely
monochromatic and makes me calm down to look at this
and the stripes so lovely with Ombre effect
you always have brilliant Idea Vicki
lovely Post
now jump to your other post

Nonni said...

I adore the monochromatic look of both of these but the brown card I absolutely love -so stylish, clean and simple! A super card! By the way, I use old make up brushes for ink blending with stencils -I'd believe that works just as well as expensive crafting brushes. Mine is a big blusher brush-one. :)

Patti said...

Hey! cool Watercolor Lifting technique!! I am so glad you salvaged this one it is really a GREAT card! Your Awesome! Ombre card is.... awesome! : ) your coloring is flawless! I do not have any of the Clarity Brushes - your mention of them is the first I've heard of them. I'll have to Google it : )

Patti

Mac Mable said...

The blending and colours are fabulous. An eye-catching card x No I don't use the brushes and with your fabulous blending I would stick to what you use x

Rhonda Miller said...

These are gorgeous.

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful monochrome card love the soft shades of mint green and fish--fabulous CAS card and love the distress ink lines you created
carol x

Helen Gullett said...

Fantastic cards! Love the monochromatic and ombre!
Thank You for playing along with Addicted To Stamps and More - Anything Goes Challenge!

Diane Louise J said...

Hello.… Thanks for joining our ‘Anything Goes’ challenge with your lovely Thank You card. Good luck in the draw and hope you can join us again next time.
[Diane Louise, Team Leader for Crafty Friends Challenge Blog]


cm said...

WOW! Your monochromatic and ombre cards are stellar, Vicki! Love the ocean images of the first and the pretty stripes of the second! A+++++, my friend!
Hugs~c

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...