"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Art Journal Collaboration - My First Page! - Perfect

Hello friends!
First, I want to thank all of you for the wonderful birthday wishes you have sent my way!  I'm absolutely thrilled by your kind wishes and cards!  Today is actually THE day of my birthday! :)
I am getting pampered by hubby as he is making dinner for me tonight and he won't even tell me what he's making...so I look forward to seeing what it is! LOL!!  I will also be taking a fun trip this weekend somewhere that he won't tell me either!   He does like to give surprises!  LOL!
----------------------------------------
So I have something a bit different to share with you today:
I am super excited about this as this is my first time to attempt an Art Journal Page!  I had never really thought about doing an Art Journal until I started talking with a blog friend of mine that I'm sure you may know as well, Asha Martins from Sunny Summer Crafts.  She has already been doing a few Art Journal pages and as we kept discussing them, the more intrigued I became with the idea and looking at what she's already done, I was so impressed and ready to give it a try too!

We thought it would be fun to post our Art Journal adventure together and encourage each other, learn new ideas/techniques pertaining to Art Journaling and perhaps encourage others out there to give it a try too!  We will be posting our Art Journal pages about once a month together.  We're both excited and hope that you will enjoy this adventure right along with us! - so be sure to stop by her blog to see her Art Journal page too...which I'm sure is brilliant! :)

I am taking a leap here and posting my very first one....
So since I come from a long generation of crafters in my family, I thought this would be the best place to start for my first AJ page!  This is dedicated to my owl loving grandma that passed away several years ago.  I had to do this one for her!  Miss you grandma!

My grandma had SO many owl nick nacks in her house.  Everyone that knew her, knew she loved owls.  As a matter of fact, everyone knew she loved this particular scenario of owls where one of them is up-side-down with the saying:  "Nobody's Perfect!"   This image was actually engraved on her headstone.  I always smile whenever I see a silly looking owl as it reminds me of her.

There are so many things going on with my page here that it might not really seem like there, but I have a mix of so many different types of media going on!  LOL!  The holes you see on the side or top of all of my AJ pages are for where I will eventually bind all of my pages I created together to form a book that I will also be creating for myself.  Each of my pages will measure 5.5" x 8.5".

  First of all, the background base is a regular piece of brown card stock with the "perfect" definition stamped repeatedly with white ink and then I sponged around the edges of it with white ink. The paper with the owls is a piece of Canson 140# watercolor paper.  Having paper this thick will help to keep the buckling down from all the saturation with the media types.  I will also usually prepare the paper by painting with gesso before I add any media to it.

For the colors in my background, I decided to pull out some oil pastels and then I mixed them with different colors of acrylic paint.  I also took some paint and painted in the tree trunk and branch.  I used a liner pen to create dark lines for texture.  I stamped the "Perfect" definition stamp over the colored background after it was dry with craft ink.  I ripped the sides of the page and sponged ink along the edges of it.

I took a SSS Leaves Stencil and used some embossing paste to create a dimensional branch above the owls.  After it was somewhat dry, I brushed over it with some Pearl Ex pigment powder.  I have also sprayed some Lime green ink over the background and leaves.  The owl and leaf images on the tree branch were something that I found digitally over the Internet and don't remember where they came from.  But I have colored them in with my Copic markers and attached and covered them with some Ranger matte medium.

Here you can see how they were colored.  I thought it would be fun to put some glossy accents over their eyeballs.  I took a flower from the same digital image set, colored it and added some glitter to the center of that.  I stamped the words from the Dylusions stamp set called The Right Words and then stamped a couple of splatters around it with black archival ink.

I hope you have enjoyed my very first Art Journal page and were inspired in some way.
I look forward to creating more of them now!  I think I became addicted! :)

Now it's time to go check out Asha's Blog to her Art Journal inspiration!

Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the rest of your week!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

CHALLENGES:
1.  Jo's Scrap Shack - Fun-Day Friday - Anything Goes

2.  Fantasy Stampers - "Watch the Birdie"

3.  My Time to Craft - Anything but a Card

4.  House of Cards - Bird and/or Colors


5.  Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes

6.  ATG with Create with TLC Challenge

47 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Vicki this is such a cute little owl family and I love how you did the wording. This will also be perfect for one entry as an anything goes creation for our challenge below.
Hugs
Desíre
{ATG with a CREATE WITH TLC Element}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

jimlynn said...

Woot! Great for you Vicki!!! The page is absolutely adorable and love the little owls on here. I think it's fantastic you took the plunge and can't wait to see more now.
Lynn

Asha said...

EEEEK!!! How CUTE is this. Those cute little owls with their googly eyes! And yes we all have that one friend who just has to be different! LOVE the texture and the quote is soooo true. You really are PERFECT just as you are and I am blessed to have your friendship. Let's do it again next month!!! LOL HAPPY BIRTHDAY, dear friend!
Biggest hugs,
x Asha

jimlynn said...

I had no idea it was your birthday today!!!!!!!! Happy, happy Birthday! Hope you have a beautiful day Vicki!
Lynn

Margreet said...

Happy birthday, Vicki....so lovely that you hubby loves to surprise and pamper you...enjoy!!!
Your AJ is a great hommage to you grandmother...love your owls (great eyes!)
xxx Margreet

decp8nter said...

I absolutely love this page and the fact that you had a story about your grandma to go with it. All of the elements are perfect (just like you).
Happy Birthday, Vicki. Hope it is your greatest ever. You deserve to be spoiled.

Linda Simpson said...

Fabulous! I do love owls.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Darlene said...

Hey there Vic! First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sounds like a fun birthday is in store for you ... that's awesome & you deserve it! I just came from Asha's blog and you are both doing some amazing and inspirational designing. Thanks for sharing and pop over sometime ... miss the 'old challenge blog days' lol. ENJOY!

Tammy said...

Hi Vicki, Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a wonderful day! WOW what an awesome page, I love the sweet little owls and the texture paste leaves, gorgeous work my friend!
Big hugs, Tammy

KT Fit Kitty said...

Happy Birthday! Way to go on your first art journal page. I've been wanting to start one myself but I think the first page is the hardest, thus mine is still blank! Your first page is AWESOME! Love the positive affirmation too! Can't wait to see more pages from you!

Chrissy said...

First off..wishing you a very Happy birthday Vicki..hope you meal was a success and you have a wonderful weekend..secondly, well done on your journalling page..the little Owls are fabulous and love your background and tree..now you have started it is so hard to stop..lol..I love it.

luv CHRISSYxx

Jenny L said...

Hi Vicki,
Happy Birthday.
oh this is soooooooooooo! gorgeous.
I love it so much and the colours are beautiful, and those owls are so very cute.
I too love owls and have loade of ornaments and pictures of them dotted around my house.
I also have lots of scarves with them on, and of course my blog has owls at the top of it.
Lots of crafty love, Jenny L.

Carol L said...

Way to stick your toes into the art journaling world of crafting! I love the story of your grandmother's philosophy and how this page transpired from thoughts of her fondness for owls and being perfect the way she was! This is such a wonderful tribute to her memory and your talent knows no boundaries! Great project!

Babs Watson said...

What a lovely way to remember your grandma Vicky, I love owls too, and these are so very adorable, fabulous colouring. Happy birthday and looking forward to seeing more of your Journal in the months to come..

Hugs Babs x

Sarah said...

Firstly a great big HAPPY BIRTHDAY...YAY!! Sounds like you are being deservedly spoilt. Hope you've had a fab time. Love your journal page and what a wonderful dedication to Grandma xx

scrAPpamondo said...

I went from Asha's blog. Happy Birthday! Adorable JP, so cute and vibrant, love it! These little owls make me smile!! :) Beautiful textures! Great sentiment and background, too!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Vicki! Happy birthday, my friend! I am so glad to know and send you all the most wonderful wishes for a great dinner and fun weekend! How sweet that your DH is cooking dinner! And what a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday by starting a journal. I love it and love these three owls. Hehe, they are adorable, and it's a great start of a wonderful journey, my friend! Lots of hugs and love your way! So glad to know you too through our continuing journey on SCS as Dirty Girls. Hugs! xoxo

Debra K. said...

What a fabulous first AJ page Vicki! Your grandma would absolutely love this as those owls are so cute. Fantastic textures and colours, I especially love the leaves with the perfect pearls on these. This looks like a seasoned pro had made this not an AJ newbie. Perfect sentiment to finish it off. Can't wait to see your next page.
Your grandma sounds like she had a wonderful sense of humour having owls like these on her headstone to make everyone who visits smile instead of feel sad. Debra x

Pollard Carole said...

Oh Vicki what a fab card and a great craft idea I love the colours and design especially the lovely sentiment. Sorry I've not been around to comment on your fab cards recently but been on holiday for three weeks to Sri Lanka and wifi unreliable Hopefully I'm getting back into my craft routine now. Hope you and your family are all well Love and hugs Carole x

aussie aNNie said...

Love it Vicki and it is perfect. Thanks so much for commenting on my scheduled cards while I was on vacation...appreciate this so much. Have a lovely weekend.xx
{aNNie}

Desire Fourie said...

Vicki I am absolutely loving those little winking owls. Its perfect for our 3rd ‘ATG with CREATE WITH TLC’ challenge. Thanks for sharing your talent with us. Good luck and hope to see you play with us again.
Hugs
Desíre
{ATG with a CREATE WITH TLC Element}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

laurie said...

HAPPY BiRtHDaY!Have a great day!

What a cute page...I love that shimmer. I think I am the owl hanging upside down...thats how I feel today!!LOL

Céline said...

wow fantastic !!!
hugs
céline

Bożena Adamusińska said...

Hello Vicki! I missed a little bit, but you know that I wish you all the best for you. A lot of health, joy, love, peace and great creativity. Be happy and share with us your beautiful cards.
I love this Art Journal. I have no stamp owl, but I was intrigued by your story about your grandmother and I looked at differently these birds.
Happy Birthday, Vicki
hugs,
BozenA

Donna said...

This is awesome Vicki, and a perfect saying , your are perfect just the way you are dear friend! Have a wonderful birthday weekend and enjoy your dear hubby pampering you!

Rhonda Miller said...

I love this. Those owls are so cute.

Lori Kobular said...

Happy Belated Birthday Vicki! I hope you had a wonderful Birthday! I love your owl card! Who doesn't love owls! Your card is absolutely adorable!

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

This will be one awesome art journal! What a great start! Looking forward to see more pages in the future!

Donna said...

Wow vicki, this is awesome, a really fantastic 1st journal page and your Grandma would be very proud of you and I'm sure she wold love these cute little quirky owls. :) Donna ♥ x

Pat said...

Cute journal page, thanks for sharing at MTTC.

Pat xx

Heidi Stamps said...

What a pretty page and the owls are so cute! I really like that color of the background, so vibrant! Lovely story, tfs! And hope you had a very happy birthday!

Stamping Bubbles said...

Wow this is a fabulous first attempt at art journaling. I love the cute little owls you have used. Thank you for joining us at Fantasy Stampers.
Crafty hugs
Lesley

MaryH said...

Oh WOW! I've never thought I'd get into the Art Journals, but I've always found it fun to read the processes involved to create an interesting page. You've done splendidly for your first effort. Enjoyed reading the creative process and back story about the owls. What a lovely tribute to your sweet Gran. Also you've got a very talented Asha to join you on the AJ journey. I know her cards, and she's a fab designer. (she was a member of our Christmas Card Club for a time). You've done a very excellent page, (impressive that it's your first effort too!). All the extra attention to the details shows a dedicated crafter at work here! Love this! Happy Birthday, and I'm sure your DH is making it super special for you. Enjoy your little surprise trip too. TFS & Hugs

Mac Mable said...

So enjoyed your post today. What an amazing layout and you sure have taken to art journaling. I've been away on holiday and missed popping into your blog to admire your fabulous creations x

Mac Mable said...

So glad your Husband spoilt you and hope you enjoyed the surprises? x Sorry I missed your birthday x Happy belated birthday x

Monika Reeck said...

Ooh your Artjournal is too cuuutee
love that leaves I feel I can touch it
and the owl ooh cuute
may I ask which Image is it Vicki
all in green and brown I love this color combo
adorable Art Journal Vicki
big hugs and happy Sunday my sweet friend
Monika
PS: hope you see and join our new challenge at CWS dear Vicki easy peasy : SENTIMENT is the theme :)

Patti J said...

Love this! Wish I were brave enough to try this Art Journaling!!! Hugs to you - another beautiful creation!!!

Pia S said...

First, happy belated birthday. Hope you had a great day and a lovely trip.
Like your grandma I'm a big fan of owls I have a few owls. And frogs. And African animals. Not real ones, lol. I've been through different phases in my life:)
But I never get enough of owls, they're so right for any occasion, gender and age, don't you think? It's such a fun, sweet inspirational first page, so nice to dedicate it to your late grandma.

Kellie 0:) said...

Oh my what a wonderful first journal page. Just gorgeous. TFS and joining us at Jo's for Funday Friday.

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous journal page Vicki and a lovely tribute to your Grandma-love the cute owls and perfect sentiment -looking forward to seeing more of your pages and off to check out Ashas page
Carol x

crafty-stamper said...

oops sorry meant to say belated Happy Birthday
Carol x

Davi said...

Well Vicki you did a fantastic job on your first album!! I love the owls and what better way to bring memories of your grams with them! The upside down one makes me smile as do their fun duds!!

Lisa said...

omg... this is adorable! Awesome!

Dr Sonia S V said...

How beautiful this looks Vicki...love the owl and the branch
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Julie B said...

What a cute set of owls, love the one hanging upside down!
Thanks for linking up at Fantasy Stampers. :)

coldwaters2 said...

Oh Vicki I love, love the Owls on your page they are so sweet, I really love the wood effect at the side and that lovely sentiment, excellent make
hugs
lorraine x

Jerrie said...

Oh this is cute and what a keepsake. It is funny how you see something and think of someone. The sentiment is perfect and what a tribute to your grandma! Looking forward to your month of art journaling!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...