"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Monthly Art Journal Collaboration - Fall for Change

Hello friends!
So with the weather changing to cooler temperatures for the Fall season, which is actually my favorite time of the year, I was inspired to create with some pretty Fall colors and leaves for this month's Art Journal Collaboration.  Of course this "collaboration" wouldn't be complete without my wonderful and talented blog friend - Asha Martins from Sunny Summer Crafts!
So please be sure and stop by her blog to check out what she has done with her Art Journal project...I know it will knock our socks off! :)  (You may have saw our posts from last month, where we have joined together as fellow blog friends and decided to inspire each other as well as our other blog friends by coming up with an Art Journal project each month together.  Hope you enjoy this new adventure right along with us!)

Here's my Art Journal page for this month:
Since I am still somewhat "new" to Art Journaling, I am really learning quite a bit as I go because you start to figure out how some mediums work together while others don't work at all...or least not how you think it will work anyway!  LOL!  I am finding this Art Journaling process not only educational, but satisfying and rewarding as well, so I'm so glad we are doing this Asha!! :)

For my page...it actually turned out COMPLETELY different than what I had envisioned in my head and what actually happened on this paper! LOL!!  I was going to do nothing but paint a scene, but then decided that's not the way I wanted to go at all.  Looking through my never-ending stash I found these skeleton leaves in packages that I've had forever...so I decided I wanted to incorporate them in my design.

But FIRST, I had to prep my paper with a layer of gesso, then I took a crackle stamp (which you totally can't see at all because of my "experimenting" with mediums, it sort of disappeared! LOL!)  Then I took a Fall sentiment image and heat embossed it with clear EP. (You can sort of see it in the background and close up photos below.)

I've added some layers of paint with some yellow and red violet paints over top of everything that I've applied with baby wipes.  I wanted some orange in there, but I didn't have any orange color paint.  So I mixed up some colors and come up with a rich and pretty orange tone to add to it.  I've also taken a brown color to go around the edges of the page.  I then loaded a wet brush with gold paint and made some splatters over it.

Now this is where the skeletons leaves came into play.  Before adding them to my page, I used some ink sprays to spray them in different colors, then I attached them to my colored page with some Ranger Multi Medium Matte.  After it dried, I rubbed some Inka Gold over the texture of the leaves.

Lastly, I've taken an old stencil from my stash and added some texture paste to the corners of the page.  I had some very pretty chipboard letters with the glitter and everything already on them, I had to improvise on the letters as I didn't have exactly what I needed, so I made my own letters basically.  I rubbed some more Inka Gold around the edges of them before I glued them down.  I've also added some more splatter with brown and gold paints and then finished it off with the distressed inked die cut leaves which I covered with Wink of Stella.  I took my label maker to make the rest of the sentiment and then outlined the edges with my gold Zig Paint pen.  I also took some gold Stickles to add a few more sparkle drops to the page.

Here's a closer look at different angles so you can see the sparkle and shine in it:
So here you can better see the texture with the leaves and embossing I've done as well as see where I've placed the drops of Gold Stickles.  :)

Here's a look from a different angle:
I think in this photo, you can better see the shimmer on the leaves and the touches of gold rubbed over top of the the leaves.  I have also taken the Inka Gold and rubbed it around the edges of the entire page as well.  You can sort of see it along the edge where my binding holes are.

I hope you've enjoyed my Art Journal page today and were inspired in some way! :)
Now it's time to stop on over to Asha's blog to see what she's done...I can't wait to see it too!

Thanks so much for stopping by today!!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

CHALLENGES:
Simon Says Stamp Monday - Autumn

Stamps and Stencils - Elements of Nature

Eclectic Ellapu - Purple team:  Autumnal

Creative Artiste - Anything Mixed Media Goes

38 comments:

Lynn McAuley said...

What a drop-dead gorgeous piece, Vicki! I love these soft, muted colors you have used and those amazing leaves!!

Heidi Stamps said...

The big leaves are so pretty and I love the sentiment you added. Lots going on in your art journal and it turned out very pretty!

Catherine said...

I love the texture you were able to achieve on your art journal page. It's funny when we have an idea in our head that changes as we go through the process of creating. That's what I love about the process, you never know where you're going to end up. The key is to stick with it even though we may think it looks awful. When we let the process continue and resist throwing our creation in the garbage, that is when we create some of our most cherished and beloved pieces. Great work! Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

Cathie ♥

Bożena Adamusińska said...

Hello Vicki,
Jurnal your art is fabulous! Soft autumn colors conceal even a bit of summer and bring wspmnienie carefree last summer. I love the delicate drawing of leaves and extra texture of flourishes. Tiny gold dots add a great shine.
Hugs,
BożenA

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Vicki! This is amazing, and I love seeing your closeups with the leaves especially. I remember somewhere - sometime that I had some of these. Not sure where they are now. But wow, you've made these shine beautifully along with the rest of these amazing details. What a stunning page for your art journal that is going to be loved for many years to come...and journal your journey in mixed media. Beautifully done, sweet friend! xoxo

Chrissy said...

Beautiful Vicki..love the leaves and textures...fabulous colours and shimmer..Autumn [Fall] is my favourite season too..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Donna Ellis said...

It is the perfect addition to your art journal, Vicki! Love the skeletonized leaves with the streaks of colors in them, and the added texture of stenciling, gently fallen leaves, and your fabulous "fall" sentiment! Gorgeous! hugs, de

MaryH said...

I think your adventures in this new effort are paying off big-time, and it's also evident you're having a lot of fun. Learning how to combine the different products to create effects - that's fun (sometimes frustrating too!). Love the color scheme on this project, very autumn & rich dept. I LOVE those leaves. You did a great job on this one. Looking forward to your next project. TFS & Hugs

decp8nter said...

Love this month's art journaling. The colors, the textures, the glitz are all fun elements that symbolize fall and you have captured the feeling perfectly.

Donna said...

What a fabulous journal page Vicki, the leaves esp. the large one on the right are amazing! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

Bad Kitty (Fiki) said...

wow! your art journal page is so pretty!
very nice colors!
hugs

crafty-stamper said...

WOW absolutely stunning journal page Vicki loving all the colours and texture and the skeleton leaves are a brilliant addition-Autumn is my favourite season too-of to check out Ashas post
Carol x

Lori Kobular said...

Awesome colors on your art journal! Really matches the colors of the fall leaves! I have tried this yet, but I am getting curious!

Carol L said...

You got your feet wet in art journaling in a great way! I just love those pretty leaves, and the overall look of your page! Well done!

Davi said...

Awesome Journal Vicki!! Love the leaves that you did in the different colors! Great background for them too!

Patti J said...

Loving this wonderful journaling page! You are one of the most talented folks I know! I love coming by to see what you're up to!

laurie said...

This is really really beautiful!!!!! I love the colors, the texture..it's stunning!

alexandra s.m. said...

It's stunning Vicki!
Love it!

Debra K. said...

Absolutely beautiful Vicki! There just so much gorgeousness here, lovely textures, colours, sparkle and glitter. It must be stunningly shimmery in real life. A fabulous design. Love it ! Debra x

Linda Simpson said...

This is fabulous, love the colours and wonderful texture.
Hugs
Linda xxx

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous journal Vickie, love the use of all your mediums and textures, colours are also beautiful. Your crackle stamp made me remember I have one, on a wooden block from years ago....mmmm must dig it out.....enjoy your weekend.xx {aNNie}

Margreet said...

Awesome journal page Vicki! Love your different use of all kind of materials....it's a great autumnal memory!
xxx Margreet

Tammy said...

WOW Vicki, your journal page is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the fall colors and all of the textures, your leaves are amazing! Have a wonderful weekend my friend!
Hugs, Tammy

Vintagehandmade said...

What a beautiful autumnal project with such amazing natural elements! Fabulous colors and such gorgeous leaves! Thank you for joining us at Stamps and Stencils this month! Branka DT x

Dawn Frost said...

Wow I love all the texture and colours on it, gorgeous!

NanaConnie said...

Oh, Vicki, I adore the colors and all the fabulous textures you created in this piece! Love the skeleton leaves. This is going to be fantastic for your journal.

Jo - Jo's Scrap Shack said...

Vicki this is a gorgeous art journal spread! I really love the background colors and texture and the leaves are the perfect touch combined with your Fall title.... and yes I do agree that change is beautiful. Gorgeous pages!
Hugs,
Jo

Shelly Schmidt said...

How gorgeous- I love the dabbling in an art journal- so fun to play with different mediums. I love the dimension you have achieved- the leaves are fab love the gold you added- the stenciled shapes and your beautiful colors! How fun!

Lola said...

Oh this is so pretty. I envy those of you who make art journals. All the different mediums came together seamlessly. Again, so pretty.

Donna said...

Wow! Awesome card Vicki, love the falls colours and the leaves look so realistic especially with the gold accent you've added! :) Donna ♥ x

Monika Reeck said...

Oh Vicki
wooooww
I lobve that skeleton leaves
looks so real wooow
is it a real one
I did not read cause in a hurry visiting friends blog but I adore this muuuucch
So stunning and again WINNING for my eyes
cant write more only ADORABLE!!

Amy Ottmers said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Eclectic Ellapu, good luck!!! Amy DT

Pri Created said...

So beautiful and artistic....!!

Asha said...

Oh my word!!!! This is amazing. You have managed to put Fall on a page. Seriously, this is outstanding. Lots of detail, lots texture and interest. And it's not cluttered (unlike mine, hah!), so we can enjoy each element and really appreciate your design process. Those skeleton leaves and die cut leaves work so well together. You are spot on with the colours too - its subtle and fresh without being outrageously autumn-y. I love it.... I really do. The speckled details in the background - so classy. I would have made a complete mess of it with splashes and splodges. You've pulled it off with elegance. Awesome journal page, my friend. I am so glad we are doing this together. Thank you!
hugs Asha

cm said...

Adding my voice to the others (although you've pretty much rendered me speechless with awe!), praising your incredible creativity and gorgeous journal page! LOVE the texture, the colours, the leaves...the whole kit 'n caboodle! I think you and Asha make an amazing 'inspirational' team; the two of you appear to have journal art mastered! Excited to see what you dream up next...
hugs~c

Andrea, said...

Fab autumnal card Vicki, love all the detail you have added

MiamiKel said...

Wow I am intrigue by your beautiful art journaling ! Definitely has the colors and elements and feel of fall! Truly a vision, Vicki!

Team Clark said...

What an amazing journal page Vicki! This is layered goodness and color at its finest. Love it! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Stamps & Stencils. Hugs, Autumn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...