"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Friday, November 4, 2016

Plaids and Tags

Hello friends!
Happy Friday!  I would like to welcome my newest followers to my blog and a thank you for joining me here!  The weather is cooling down now and I think it's time for "Plaids and Tags"!

I love the concept of tags because you can use them for gifts, wrapping and ornaments!  You can also make them for many different seasons and/or occasions too!  This year it looks like there are a couple of different events going on to give me an opportunity to create several tags for!

I actually have two different tags to share with you today.  My first one involves a cute doxie in plaid for the sweater weather season:
Now how cute is this doxie all dressed up in his plaid sweater! LOL!
He actually comes from the Newton's Nook Holiday Hounds stamp set with the coordinating dies.  I've had this set for a while and used it for several Christmas cards last year.

For this design, I have used some plaid papers by Lawn Fawn from the Perfectly Plaid Fall petite paper pack and also used them to paper piece the dog's sweater with.  The brown plaid behind him also came from this same paper pack.  I stamped the doxie on some kraft card stock, paper pieced his sweater and then colored the fur trim with a white Prismacolor pencil and then used my white gel pen to add some dot detail.  The sentiment also comes from the same set which I've heat embossed with white EP over kraft card stock and then cut out to make a banner.

For the banner style tag, I have used MFT Jumbo Fishtail Banner Stax and cut out a piece in kraft and a smaller with the plaid papers that I used on the doxie's sweater.  For the doxie panel, I have used a Stampin' Up! Labels Framelits to die cut a piece in kraft card stock.  I then took that piece and ran it through the Big Shot machine with the SU! Cable Knit embossing folder.  (Although you can't see the details of that very well, it's a very cool 3-D embossed look!)  I have sponged around the edges of this and the very back banner panel with Early Espresso ink.  For the brown plaid panel, I've used my MFT Stitched Oval Stax to go over top of the embossed panel.  I then used some foam tape to pop up the doxie on.

Lastly, for the accents, I have added some Lawn Fawn small stitched leaves that I die cut in kraft card stock and then took some distress ink to sponge over them in different Fall colors.  I tucked them behind the oval panels and curled the ends up a bit for dimension.  I also brushed over them with some wink of stella glitter pen.  For the top of the tag, I've used some burlap ribbon and looped it behind the plaid banner panel which was popped up with some craft foam that I also cut with the same die.  I put some natural twine through the brown button and glued that over top of the burlap ribbon loop.  To finish it off, I add some gold sequins and added some gold Stickles in the center of each one.

Here's a closer look at the details:
I forgot to mention that I've also used a black gel pen for the eye ball and sweater details.  Here you can better see the shimmer on the leaves.

I have made this for the Newton's Nook plaid challenge, but I thought I was going to kill two birds with one stone by adding this to Tracey's 25 days of Christmas tags event.  BUT...as you can see, I failed to read the title of this event which said "CHRISTMAS"!!  LOL!  The tag that inspired the creation above anyway, was from the Day 3 post with Stephanie's pretty tag below:


Here are some challenges that I'd like to enter this doxie tag for:
1.  Newton's Nook Inky Paws - Cozy Plaids

2.  Deep Ocean - Use die cuts or punches

3.  Crafting by Designs - Anything Goes

4.  Fab 'n' Funky - Animals

5.  Little Red Wagon - Happy Fall Y'all!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So...moving along, I decided that I was really inspired by many tag projects from the "25 Days of Christmas Tags" -  Day 3 post and wanted to have another go at it to make it Christmas this time! LOL!!

So here's the Christmas tag I've made using some more Newton's Nook goodies:
I'm happy the way this turned out because the only Christmas set I own from Newton's Nook is the doxie one above!  I also hardly ever use black for Christmas designs, so I thought this all worked out great!

I have used the Newton's Nook Beautiful Blossoms set to make a poinsettia flower with it.  I took the larger pointy petal flower image and stamped it with black pigment ink and embossed them with clear EP.  I took some red distress inks and went over them with my ink foam blending tool.  I then layered them together for a poinsettia look.  I took the small pointy petal flower image and did the same with that one except that I sponged red ink at the points and used some yellow ink to sponge in the center.  I then took some gold Stickles to make glitter dots in the center.  I've also used some pearl accents around that as well.  I then popped up that small flower with foam tape in the center of the larger ones.

The tag itself is cut with black card stock from the MFT Stitched Traditional Tag STAX dies.  I used a hole reinforcer from another tag die set (Mama Elephant Tags a Lot) and cut that out with gold glitter paper and then glued that to the top of my tag.  I then punched a hole in the center of the reinforcer.  In addition, I took some strips from that gold glitter paper and attached them to the top and bottom portions of my tag.  I used a sentiment from the stamp floral stamp set and embossed it with white EP.  I then glued the poinsettia on my tag, added some stitch detail with a white gel pen under the bottom glitter strip and then added some gold cord to the top of the tag.

Here's a closer look at the details:
Here you can better see the glitter, pearl and embossed details on the design.
I forgot to mention that I've also used a Wink of Stella glitter pen to cover the petals of the flowers.  It is really shimmery and glittery IRL!


Here are the challenges I'd like to enter my poinsettia tag for:
1. Tracey's 25 Days of Christmas Tags -
Here's Kimberly's pretty tag from the Day 3 post that inspired my poinsettia tag:


2.  Stampin' Royalty - All that Glitters!

3.  Mod Squad - Go for the Gold!

4.  Brown Sugar - Anything Goes

5.  Jo's Scrap Shack Funday Friday - Anything Goes


Whew!  That's it for me today!
I hope you've enjoyed my tags and hopefully I will be back with some more tags and even a few Christmas cards thrown in for good measure too!  Have a great weekend!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*


51 comments:

LeAnne said...

OH MY GOSH, I can't STAND it! That doxie is sooooo stinkin' cute with his little plaid sweater! The leaves are GORGEOUS! I could not bear to give this tag away if I were you!!!

Bad Kitty (Fiki) said...

oh how wonderful your cards are!
super nice!
lots of hugs

Kim said...

Your tags are so pretty! The plaid paired with the kraft paper is so fun and I love all the glitter on the poinsettia.

Lori Kobular said...

Your tags are absolutely adorable!! I am really loving the Doxie one since I have that same stamp set. I love everything about that tag!!

Lynn McAuley said...

Sensational tags, Vicki! Beautiful work!

Lola said...

Both are beautiful and your little pup put an instant smile on my face!

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous tags Vicki-love the cute sausage dog and plaid-the poinsettia against the black looks great
carol x

Monika Reeck said...

Vicki dear
I read that you did not get any notify when I leave comment
please always look at Blog maybe I leave comment
I adore your first tag
that stitched leaves so cuute and the dog too cute cute
love the Plaid paper too so adorable
amd the black one also adorable with that flower and the glittery stripes
Both are adoreable Vicki
you are great at card and Tag maker
hugs
Monika

Rhonda Miller said...

These are both so cute. I love that little doxie dog on the first one.

JanR said...

Very cute! I love the papers you used. Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon.

Heidi Stamps said...

Wow, these are so pretty! I love the flower on the Christmas tag. The combo of the plaid, the dog and the sweet leaves makes that tag my fav! You had a super crafting day!

Bożena Adamusińska said...

I love the first tag. This dog has such a beautiful sweater! Ideally you did. Another tags also I like very much :-) I also I have to do some tags ...
Hugs,
BożenA

Debra K. said...

Two fabulous tags Vicki! I love them both but my favourite has to be the first but only because of the doxie in that cute sweater :). Such wonderful tag designs beautifully embellished. The Wink of Stella on the leaves on the first card looks so lovely. I don't think I'd be able to part with either of these tags :D. Debra x

Céline said...

2 fab tags
hugs
céline

Carol L said...

What LeAnne said above! LOL I am in love with the doxie tag with those glittery leaves and his fantastic sweater! The details are just over-the-top incredible! All of your tags are wonderful too, but I can't take my eyes off the doxie :)

Margreet said...

Wow, gorgeous tags Vicki....love your dachshund with his plaid sweater! You have used very pretty papers!
xxx Margreet

laurie said...

These are WAY too cute! I love that plaid. and all the details..the sweet dog and the pretty leaves...awesome!

Donna said...

Fabulous tags, the dog is way too cute and the sparkle on the poinsettia adds charm and elegance! Have a wonderful weekend!

Linda Simpson said...

These tags are fabulous Vicki, love the cute dog and his coat.
Hugs
Linda xxx

MiamiKel said...

Be still my heart, the doxie is probably the cutest like EVER!! Your tag is fabulous and he steals the show! I love all tags and how glittery and fun they are - you are definitely getting ready for the holidays! :)

Creations by Shirl said...

Aw that doggie tag is yet the cutest...TFS it with Brown Sugar Challenge~

Patti J said...

Squeal..love these! Who could resist Kraft, Plaid AND the ca-utest little doggie in a sweater??? Great job, dear friend!

Barbara said...

That little dog is so cozy in this warm looking and oh so cute sweater.
Delightful tags.
Thanks for joining us at The Mod Squad this week.
Barbara Mod Squad Host

Sarah said...

Wowsers...these are fabulous, particularly the darling little doggie in his plaid
jacket!! There are going to be two very happy recipients who will love the tag as much as the gifts!! xx

bumblebee creations said...

What gorgeous tags, Vicki!! Love that adorable little Doxie!!!

Pri Created said...

Beautiful,Beautiful,Beautiful tags Vicki....!!!!

Leanne said...

Both beautiful tags. Tracey's tag challenge is surely inspiring & I hope to join in.

The Little Stamper said...

A lovely colourful creation! Thanks for joining us at Fab n Funky this week.

Sharon x

Birgit said...

Oh my, these are all so darling!!!

Pat K said...

Wow..this is so adorable. Great colours and design as well. Thanks for playing along with us at Fab'n'Funky. Pat K x

MaryH said...

This little paper pieced Doxie looks just delightful in his glammed up plaid sweater coat. Love the shades of that plaid on your tag. Since I'm rather a tag challenged person, I enjoyed seeing all the pretty tags you've created. there's a tag challenge starting at http://www.stampingwithloll.com/ beginning 11-7 if you care to check it out. TFS & Happy Sunday.

Tammy said...

WOW two fabulous tags my friend! I love that sweet little doxie and the gorgeous fall colors, awesome paper piecing too! AND what a beautiful Christmas tag, I love all of the sparkle!
Hugs, Tammy

jimlynn said...

Great tags!! Of course you already know how much I just have to love the one with the Doxie - and then you have plaid with it, and I'm in heaven. Cute, cute, cute!
Lynn

craftygalslife Tammi Lynn said...

Beautiful. Thank you for joining us over at Jo's Scrapbook Challenge.


Tammi, DT

Donna Ellis said...

Beautiful projects, Vicki! Your Kraft puppy card is one of the sweetest designs of the season, right down to the spots on his sweater. The colors are fantastic, and your dramatically colored tag is incredibly imaginative! Really beautiful! Hugs, de

Andrea, said...

Great tags Vicki, that doggie is so cute, I love his plaid jumper x

Nonni said...

These tags are WONDERFUL! Sorry for shouting but I got so excited! :) I so love all the details in the dog tag, the color palette and all, sooooo cute and fun. And your poinsettia tag -fab! Love the sparkle!

Jennifer Jackson said...

Wow! Both these tags are really beautiful! I love the plaid sweater on the doxie! So adorable! And that poinsettia using our floral set is amazing! Thanks for sharing this projects and for linking up to our inky paws challenge!
-Jen {Newton's Nook Designs}

mg bio said...

I love your tag and especially how you created the poinsettia! Thank you for participating in Jo's Fun Friday Challenge.
:) Michelle - DT
http://www.MajesticMemories.biz/wp

coldwaters2 said...

WOW Vicki these tags are amazing and full of wonderful designer detail I love them all but the doggy one is my favourite
hugs
lorraine x

Pia S said...

Personally I struggle immensely with tags, there's too little space and when sitting down to make one my mind often goes blank. You did a great job on both of yours, one totally sweet and one elegant. Great job!

Cards Cart said...

U have created a lovely tag. Thanks for joining us at BrownSugar Challenge.
-Riddhi Shah
DT Brown Sugar challenge

Bastelkueken`s Kreative Welt said...

Hi Vicki
I`m back in the bloggerworld *lol*
And I see many wonderful creations on your blog... fantastic and wonderful....
Have a wonderful day
Anja

aussie aNNie said...

Sheer delight in these creations Vicki, just trying to play catch up after being away...BUT, love these gorgeous cards.xx {aNNie}

cm said...

WOW! Smiling all over my face in seeing your tags here, Vicki! Your plaid sweater-sporting doxie is beyond adorable (and now I want a 'real' pup to dress up in winter clothes *grin*)! The poinsettia tag...swooning! Beautiful colours and the shimmer...oh my! Spirits brightened in stopping in for a visit! Thank you!
Hugs~carol

CherylQuilts said...

Wow! I love your dogs (you do them SO SO well...hehe!), and this one on the plaid tag is a giggle. It's beautifully done, and he sure does look proud of his outfit!! The second one with the poinsettia is beautiful, and what a cool poinsettia stamp! Love it! Sounds like you are having a blast with these tags and really making some beauties! Hugs, sweet friend!

Diane said...

Your tag designs are just wonderful Vicki. Love the little dog in the sweater.

Sorry I have been away for a while my dad passed away.

Hugs Diane

Asha said...

EEEEK!!! The doxie is just too stinkin' cute!!! And his itty bitty sweater is to die for. This has put a huge smile on my face. SUPER gorgeous tag! And I love the dignified elegance of the poinsettia tag. The dark bg sets off the glittery bloom beautifully....oh so festive!
HUGS Asha

nwilliams6 said...

Super fun doxie tag and I am a huge fan of the black tag - looks like you did it out of velvet!

Michele K. Henderson said...

Love your pretty Christmas tags! These are adorable!
Take care!
Michele

Shelly said...

These are so sweet and pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...