"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Christmas Cards and Christmas Baking!

It's that time of year my friends!
It's the last full week before we get to Christmas day!  Are you ready?!
I have done the shopping with Mr Claus despite this cold weather, sent out my Christmas cards and have done lots and lots of baking!  I still have one more huge batch of special cookies to make, but hopefully I'll be getting that done in the next day so I can start relaxing and enjoy time with my family and the spirit of the season.  :)

*warning - photo heavy post!*

First, I'd like to share with you a special post with a HUGE lot of the majority of the Christmas cards that I sent out this year.

I would like to tell you first how this huge batch of cards came about.
I have never "really" worked completely and fully with a card kit.  I have many upon many card kits that I have purchased and have made a couple of cards from, but I have never truly sat down to make as many cards as I could possibly think of with just ONE kit.  (Do you buy any card kits?  Do you like to use them and if so, have you ever made as many as you possibly could from one card kit?  Would love to know your opinions!)

After I got out the Simon Says Stamp Merry & Bright December 2016 Card Kit, I started to get to work and decided that the bulk of everything that I was going to create was going to be strictly from this card kit.  Here's my results:
I have made a total of 12 Christmas cards plus a thank you card used with items mainly from this card kit.  One of them you have already seen in THIS POST. (Merry & Bright Rudolph card)

I still have a few things left over from the kit that I could probably squeeze out a few more cards with too.  I have pulled a few embellishments and some white card stock from my stash, but that's about it.

Here's a closer look at them.  Please forgive the blurry photos as I was taking photos assembly style before I mailed them out in a hurry! LOL!
I loved that mailbox sticker from the kit.  All papers and images and sentiments are from the card kit.

I loved the stamp set from the kit with these adorable images!  These are probably my two favorite cards created from the kit.

I used the set of strips decorative papers from the kit and then used the Bargello Technique (click on link for the tutorial) to put the background together.  I think it made for a nice quilt look.

Sorry this one got a bit blurry on me, but all papers and images are from the kit.  I just cut out some of the papers to make them the focal point on my cards.

I thought it would be fun to take some of the left over decorative papers and try to make a mailbox shape with them buried in the glittery snow.  I cut out a bird from some of the decorative papers to perch on top of the mail box.

I took several of the left over strips that I had and added some sparkly washi tape and snowflakes.  The main image is part of the decorative papers from the kit.

And since there were some "thank you" type sentiments in the decorative papers, I thought it would be a good idea to make a thank you card.

Like I said, I still have some more pieces left over that I could probably make another couple of cards with it which I will probably do when I have some extra time to finish it off.  I really enjoyed this challenge.  You could certainly make your Christmas cards from one kit depending upon how many you send out, but I think it's well worth the investment.  For Christmas most definitely!
----------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to share enter this post for the
Happy National Christmas Card Day Challenge over at Simon Says Stamp

---------------------------------------------------------

And now here are some photos of the baking that I've been doing in my kitchen.  (All of these photos were taken from my phone as I was doing them...so they're not quite sorted yet.)

First, I had to get my chocolate covered cherries going because they need to sit for 7 days or so in order for the cherry filling candy to liquefy inside:
I made this especially for hubby...hope he will enjoy them!

Next set of candy was the old-fashioned buckeyes:
I do love peanut butter and chocolate!

I skipped the peanut brittle this year and decided to make some caramel corn:
This is during the cooling process.  I broke it apart to store in containers.  I've added some freshly hand roasted peanuts to this and it turned out delicious!

Next was some Peppermint Pretzel Candy for a peppermint lover on my Christmas list:
Once the white chocolate cooled, I drizzled some dark chocolate over them.

Next up for candy was the chocolate covered pretzels:
I've already got the white chocolate pretzels bagged, but I have the peppermint chocolate ones are cooling with a red chocolate drizzle over top of them.  Once cooled, they were bagged.

And now for the cookies, I started out with a new to me recipe for Turtle Cookies:
These are very yummy!  I love the caramel centers with some extra chocolate drizzled on top!  This was just part of the batch as I had started to sort out the cookies in containers for gifts at this point.

Next up I made a common cookie request for Chocolate Crinkles:

The next batch of cookies was requested by my son which is Molasses Cookies:


And today, I plan on starting a cookie that was requested by my dad.  They are called "Monster Cookies"...and when I say "Monster"....they certainly are!  Let's just say you need a huge roasting pan to make the batter and very large amounts of ingredients like 3 lbs. of peanut butter, 2 lbs of brown sugar, a dozen eggs and like 18 cups of oatmeal!  LOL!  You also need an ice cream scoop to dip the batter onto cookie sheets...and because they are monstrous, you can only bake a few at a time!  So that will be my final cookie process and then I will be done.  :)

It's funny how everyone has their "favorite" and I sure enjoy making them for the loved ones on my Christmas list.


Hope you've enjoyed my Christmas making post today!
This is why I've been so busy and haven't had much time to sit at the computer.  :)
I hope you are all enjoying the Holiday Season and spending time with loved ones.

Thanks so much for dropping by today, I love hearing from you!
Wishing you all a VERY Merry Christmas friends!


-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*


32 comments:

Margreet said...

Wow, Vicki, you are such a busy bee!!
Your cards from one kit are just fabulous. I never use a kit, so I cannot tell you how much I get out of it.
Ans such a lot of cookies you have baked. And that just for Christmas? For us,that would be the amount for the whole year☺☺
Curious about your Christmas dinner....

Wishing you a VERY Merry Christmas too!
xxx Margreet

Linda Simpson said...

WOW you sure have been a busy bee! Gorgeous cards and loving the baking too.
Hugs
Linda xxxx

Chrissy said...

Brilliant collection of cards from your card kit Vicki..I have never had a kit but amazing how many cards you get out of it..love your bakling and can imagine the smells coming from your kitchen..hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a happy,safe and healthy New Year 2017..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Becca Cruger said...

Oh wow!! That's all from one card kit?! Amazing work! And can you hear me salivating from here? Those cookies look so scrumptious! Congratulations on being an official guest design team member for STAMPlorations! So happy to have you as part of the STAMPfamily!

Diane said...

Wow Vicki, love all the card designs and yummy baking goodies. You have really been super busy.

Hugs Diane

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

An amazing set of cards Vicki, the sweets are so yummy, your family is so lucky :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Love and hugs
Maarit

Sarah said...

What an impressive array of good things Vicki!! A fantastic collection of cards and your baked goods and sweet treats look absolutely yummy!! They are sure to be enjoyed by your loved ones xx

Tammy said...

WOW what great post Vicki! I LOVE all the the cards you made out of the SSS card kit, all so cute and fun, my friend! AND your goodies look so yummy!
Big hugs, Tammy

Kim said...

WOW!!!! Look at you go with all those cards and goodies! Merry Christmas!!!! {{HUGS}}

Lori Kobular said...

All your goodies look yummy! Love all of your cards you made from the SS kit! You sure have been busy! Have a very Merry Christmas!

Pri Created said...

That's a great treat from you today Vicki...all your gorgeous cards...and all the yummy goodies...Happy Christmas..!!

Carol L said...

Well you've just blown my socks off with all of your great cards and yummy treats! Can you bottle some of that energy and send some my way please? LOL I've never bought a card kit, but you made such pretty cards from your kit that I may have to reconsider buying kits in the future! Merry Christmas to you and yours.............I think those monster cookies would do me in! Yikes!!

Patti J said...

This is such a nice treat! Love every card! My fave is the one in the front with candy canes...so sweet! Yummy! You rocked it in the craft room AND the kitchen! Thanks for sharing! Merry Christmas, if I don't 'see' you again before then 🌲🌲🌲

Rhonda Miller said...

Wow, your cards are great. I've never tried a card kit, but have been thinking about trying one. Thanks for the inspiration.

Your cookies and goodies look yummy. Chocolate covered pretzels are one of my favorites this time of year.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas!!

Hugs,
Rhonda

Monika Reeck said...

I got that kits from Kim and wowww you made so many cards all with many layers and details...wow love the first 2 cards the one with postbox so sweett and oh so many cookies I want try them one by one please Vicki..you also great at baking wowww...Vicki If I live in USA I will visit you to try these yummy things and to play in your craftroom too...I finished yesterday and sent your Xmas card yesterday too happy me..sorry if typpo I write in subway...too busy at home n in the office no minute to write comment...sad..but happy I finished my rest cards :) and send out all...hugs

Monika Reeck said...

I got that kits from Kim and wowww you made so many cards all with many layers and details...wow love the first 2 cards the one with postbox so sweett and oh so many cookies I want try them one by one please Vicki..you also great at baking wowww...Vicki If I live in USA I will visit you to try these yummy things and to play in your craftroom too...I finished yesterday and sent your Xmas card yesterday too happy me..sorry if typpo I write in subway...too busy at home n in the office no minute to write comment...sad..but happy I finished my rest cards :) and send out all...hugs

Debra K. said...

Wow, wow, WOW!!! Good grief Vicki, how on earth did you find the time and energy to design and make all those fantastic cards AND do all that baking?! Have you got more then one set of hands? I'm definitely getting on a plane and coming to your house for Christmas :D. I hope you all have the Merriest Christmas and the Happiest New Year!! Debra x

Céline said...

oh wow fabulous! you've been busy
hugs
céline

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely treats, lovely display and a love Christmas delight...hugs to you and yours.xxx

Davi said...

What a dynamite set of cards Vickie! So many fun details on each one, Love them :) You have done a lot of baking my friend, there are going to be some very happy people!! Have FABulous Christmas spending time with your family!

Fiki said...

your cards are super cute!
cookies looks so yummi!
Happy Holidays!
hugs

Heidi Stamps said...

How wonderful that you used up your kit and made so many great cards! You know, limiting your supplies like that is a really good idea for Christmas cards. I have gotten some card kits from Gina K. I usually mix and match a lot and then disburse the extra papers to my stash for later use. I may just have to consider a Christmas kit next year, but I wish they all came out in july because that is when i want to start crafting!

I cannot believe you make your own chocolate covered cherries!!!!!! YUM! All the cookies look great, the only one of those I made are the molasses ginger snaps. Probably is my favorite cookie, and I double the ginger.

Your creations are all fun, tfs!

Missy Pink said...

Aw those cards are delightful and so impressive too. Wow you are doing so well with the baking...made me feel peckish just reading your wonderful post. Warm wishes for this holiday season. xx

laurie said...

Merry Christmas Vicki!!! Wow...what awesome cards AND treats! You have been one busy elf:) Have a Merry Christmas!

Bożena Adamusińska said...

What a beautiful set of cards! I love that form a whole, they connect them apart from the extraordinary beauty also a great style. SUPER set, each card is different, but they are still in the same family :-)
And those cookies and other delicacies ... I would probably eat them all
Hugs,
BożenA

Babs Watson said...

You have been busy Vicki, I just love all your gorgeous cards with all the beautiful papers and backgrounds, I am sure all your friends &family will just adore them. Yours sweeties look very yummy I am sure your hubby will enjoy every mouthful...

Hugs Babs x

Donna said...

Wow, fabulous cards and your cookies and candy look like on the TV shows! Merry Christmas to you and your family Vicki!

nwilliams6 said...

An awesome set of cards (everyone of them is top notch and soooo cute), but the baking. I wish we lived close by each other, but my waist says, "NO WAY." Hugz

Lola said...

First, all your card are adorable, each unique which i wouldnt think from a kit. I get the pumkpin kits from stampin up and its great to have extra cards on hand but i prefer my own creations. Second, love seeing all your baked goods! This is my first year making molasses cookies and theyre a big hit. I didnt get around to candy - maybe for new years. Love seeing I'm not alone in all the candy and cookie making!

crafty-stamper said...

oh my soo busy love the sound of the peanut butter and chocolate-now I don't like peanut butter but love it in chocolate and icecream -chunky kitkat peanut butter bars dipped in coffee are to die for lol -beautiful selection of cards love the mailbox one
carol x

Nonni said...

Your cards from the kit look amazing! I think I have to consider this kind of kit next year (If they are making one), I'm sure it makes creating in a Christmas rush much easier. Such cute critters and great colors too!

Sue from Oregon said...

Fun projects and yummy goodies! I bet your hubby loved them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...