"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Monthly Art Journal Collaboration - Don't Be a Grinch!

Hello friends!
Hope you are enjoying your weekend so far!  I was happy to be able to get into my stamp room and play for a bit to bring you what I've created today!

**For those of you just following along:  I have joined together with my talented blog friend Asha from Sunny Summer Crafts to inspire each other through our Art Journal Pages and share them on our blogs on a monthly basis with you to maybe inspire our other crafty friends too.  Perhaps you will be inspired to give AJ pages a try!  This is something new to both of us and we just want to share our love of crafting through this wonderful mixed media art form.  If you would like to see my past AJ pages, you can CLICK HERE to have a look at them all.**

With trying to get myself in the "Christmas spirit", I thought it would be fun to create a page based on a childhood show that I've watched pretty much every year growing up.  I thought it was awesome when they turned this cartoon into a "realistic" movie.  Of course if you're not familiar with it, it's called "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas".  So I dug out a piece of scratch paper to sketch out the idea that I had in my head.  I nervously got my paints out and here's what turned out:
For the background, I got out three different colors of blue acrylic paint and blended them together so that the darkest blue was over to the right of the page where The Grinch hand is holding the bauble.  I have used baby wipes to help me blend the colors together.  I also used some green paints to brush in the Christmas tree on the left side of the page.  I used a couple of different colors with a rake brush to make the feathering strokes.  I also took the bottom of a large paint brush to make the silver metallic "dots" for the ornaments on the tree.  I used silver metallic paint for this.

While I was out shopping, I picked up some Folk Art Mixed Media spray that is white acrylic paint.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect with it, but I absolutely LOVE the vibrancy of this spray!  This was literally about 1 or two sprays on this background!  It is very permanent once dry too.  I thought it showed up very nicely against the blue background.  I know I'll be using it again!

The blue background was also stamped with some snowflakes from an older SU! stamp set as well as a Whimsy Stamps set that had some hash marks that I stamped in blue in the background.  I also used another image from the same set to stamp the "icicles" hanging from the top with silver ink.  I rubbed around the edges of the page with some silver Inka Gold.

Below I will go into details about each side of the page:
For the left side of my page, I took some papers from my stash and cut some different square and rectangle shapes.  I sponged around the edges of them with darker inks and then took some silver thread to wrap around them and make tiny bows to attach to the tops and middles of them.  I layered them and popped some of them up so they would look like more realistic stacked presents.  I added a gem to a few of the bows.  It's easier to see in the photo, but I've also added some silver Nuvo crystal drops on the Christmas tree with the silver dots.

This is the part of the page that made me the most nervous as I pretty much free-handed with paint The Grinch's hand.  I did pencil sketch in the arm and about how I wanted the hand to look before I started to paint it in.

I used several different sizes and styles of brushes to paint this in.  I had to keep working over the hand to get it to look "furry" as well as use several different colors of green to get the highlights and shadows for the fur.  I did use white acrylic paint to paint the cuff of the sleeve and then I used some Ranger Grit Paste to cover the white.  While it was still wet, I took some glitter over it to make it sparkle.

For the bauble The Grinch is holding, I have a "Grinch" font on my computer and used that to create the sentiment and then printed it out over silver card stock.  I used a circle punch to punch it out and then cut a separate piece for the top with black card stock.  I taped the silver cord on the back of the bauble and popped it up with foam tape.  I pierced a hole where I wanted the cord to be to make it appear that The Grinch is holding the string and taped it around the back of the page, which is fine with me because I will probably glue my pages back to back when making my finished book.  I then tied a bow with the silver cord and glued it to the top of the string.  That is my hand writing  above and below The Grinch's arm.  This is something The Grinch says from the movie.  I used a permanent black pen to write it in.

Hope you've enjoyed my AJ page for this month and got inspired.  Please be sure to stop on over to my friend Asha's blog and check out the AJ inspiration she has...I can't wait to see it!
Enjoy your Sunday....I'm off to do some Christmas shopping and spend time with hubby! :)
See you soon hopefully with some Christmas cards!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

CHALLENGES
1.  Crafty Card Makes - Anything But a Card

2.  Crafting by Designs - December Anything Goes

3.  Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge - 'O' Christmas Tree

4.  Eclectic Ellapu - December Pink Team - Anything Christmas

5.  The Artistic Stamper - December Christmas

6.  Mixed Media Monthly - Merry & Bright

7.  Creative Artiste Mixed Media - Anything Mixed Media Goes

34 comments:

Babs Watson said...

Beautiful background Vicky love the snowflakes, and a great sentiment love it..

Hugs Babs x

Monika Reeck said...

I love the color combp Vicki...grest BG too and nice idea to share...love the leftover paper idea.
Great made my friend..will catch up tonight wait n see your blogpost sweety..now still in fitness studio..lol..hugs
Monika

Monika Reeck said...

Hehe So tiny tuts...oh better I stop comment so many wrong words...forgive me Vicki

Monika Reeck said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chrissy said...

FABulous Vicki..what a great tree..love the brush strokes and silver baubles..the Grinch scares me ..lol..so I'm glad there is only his arm showing..the sentiment and gorgeous background..makes me want to get my paints out again..

luv CHRISSYxx

Linda Simpson said...

WOW this is fabulous Vicki, love the background.
Hugs
Linda xxxx

Jerrie said...

Vicki, I love your art journal page and it is perfect for the season! I do not art journal...maybe I will try it next year.

Sarah said...

You clever thing!! I absolutely LOVE this inspiring page, it's brilliant. I haven't yet watched The Grinch this year but I will be getting it out now!! xx

Carol L said...

The details you've added make this one fantastic creation! I love the Grinch's "hand" and how he's holding the ornament, while the background is just incredible! You're just rocking these art journal pages in a fabulous way!

crafty-stamper said...

Great journal page and fabulous painted background -love how you can see the feathered strokes and silver
Carol x

MiamiKel said...

adorable! Splendid take on the Grinch! The background is divine, Vicki!

Maura Hibbitts said...

Great art journal page!! Love that grinchy hand in there and your tree and presents are gorgeous! What a great idea to work in your AJ with your friend and share once a month! Thank you for sharing with us this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! hugs, Maura

Sue said...

Wow, this looks amazing Vicki, you are so talented!
hugs, Sue xx

Angela Radford said...

Great idea for a journal page, love it and thanks for sharing it with us at Crafty Cardmakers, Good luck with the challenge, Angela x

Pri Created said...

Fabulous work of art...I love the whole scene...

Donna Ellis said...

A piece of artwork that would be proudly displayed in any home during the Christmas season! I love every brush stroke and every detail. Vicki! FABULOUS! Hugs, de

laurie said...

This is so clever! I love that snowy background you created. I love the Grinch....adorable Vicki!

Debra K. said...

Wow Vicki! This is fantastic!! I've not actually seen the film just odd clips but his furry hand looks just like it does on screen. A wonderful background with so many fab details. Your tree looks tree..mendous (sorry :D) and you've used lovely papers for the presents. An absolutely fabulous AJ page. Debra x

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous looks awesome and your background is just amazing.xx{aNNie}

Lynn McAuley said...

What Grinchy awesomeness here, Vicki! Brilliant work on this remarkable holiday card!!

Becca Cruger said...

Well the sentiment is just perfect for this page - and for the spirit of Christmas in general. I bet you had a ton of fun making this!

Maike from Maikreations said...

Awesome page! Love the Grinch's hand - looks so furry ;o) And the sentiment is lovely - wished everyone would read it before Christmas just once this year ;o) Thank you for joining our „Anything But A Card“ challenge over at the Crafty Cardmakers ;o) Happy crafting,
Maike

Donna said...

This is amazing Vicki, I am at a loss of words, truly a work of art!

Scrappin Sue said...

Wow so very cool
Thanks for playing in the December challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media xx

Tammy said...

WOW what a fabulous journal page Vicki! I love all of the textures and the Grinch's hand looks awesome!! Beautiful work of art, my friend!
Hugs, Tammy

Andrea, said...

Wow this is fab Vicki, love the background x

bumblebee creations said...

Oh, I love this Vicki!!! You did amazing coloring on this, and I love your theme!! So fun!!

Heidi Stamps said...

Before I even read your post your being so nervous about the hand, I had already decided that this hand is myh favorite part! It is perfectly painted with lots of texture! Great work!

Lori Kobular said...

This is adorable! I love the Grinch's hand! You painted it perfectly!!

Josephine said...

Fabulous background!

Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers!

Pia S said...

Hehe, this is such a fun and original piece. It looks like you had fun making this. I love how it turned out:)

Dawn Frost said...

Awesome card Vicki I love it!

Asha said...

I am a terrible collaborator... took me a week and a half to get here! Sorry, friend. I absolutely ADORE this AJ page. And yes! I do see the similarity in our choice of colours... great minds and all that... how can we not think alike?! LOL. The idea behind this AJ page is just so perfect for Christmas. The hand holding the bauble... what a fabulous idea! The stack of presents under the tree look so real. The splatter effect on the background... wow! You've definitely the holiday spirit on this page. Thank you for doing this with me and I am so looking forward to what we come up with next year! I could not have asked for a better person to walk this journey with me. THANK YOU, Vicki! You are an awesome (and patient!) friend.
HUGS, Asha

Clare said...

A fabulous merry and bright journal page. Thank you for taking part in this months mixed media monthly challenge. Clare DT

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...