"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Winter Birthday Card with Hidden Surprise!

Hello friends!
Hope you are all finishing up your Holiday "to do" list as we are getting closer and closer to the BIG DAY!  :)  I have FINALLY gotten all of my Holiday cards finished and mailed out.  I will be sharing all of those with you later, but for now, I wanted to share something else I made.

My dad had his birthday last week and so I decided to make him this winter style birthday card, but with a little hidden element in it...can you see where the hint is?
I absolutely fell in LOVE with this new Newton's Nook Serene Silhouettes stamp set!  They had a blog hop during the new release and I was one of the lucky winners to get this!  (It also has coordinating dies that go with it, so I *had* to place an order to get those and it's on it's way!  LOL!)

If you look at the samples on the store link, you will notice a sample that is displayed on a wood slice with bears on it.  This is basically where I got my inspiration for my card design here.  I love the loose look of the pines and how they already look like they're in the snow.

For my sentiment, I've used the Newton's Nook Simply Sentimental to stamp the banner at the left bottom of the scene because I needed it for a birthday.  I have also based the colors on the current challenge Newton's Nook has on their blog right now...there is only 3 days left if you want to play along! (see below!)

Here's a closer look at the details:
As you can see in this photo, I have embossed the Birch trees with white embossing powder and then I embossed the deer silhouette with clear embossing powder after stamping it with brown ink.  (The ink that I used was Stampin' Up! Chocolate Chip and it stays wet long enough to emboss.)  After adding the Stickles glitter under the deer, I saw that some of the ink bled a bit, but let's just call those "deer tracks"...OK?!! :)  The background sky was ink blended with distress inks.

In case you didn't see where my hidden element is on the card.....
I tied together a couple of gift cards and left a piece of the twine on top so the recipient pulls on the tied knot twine and the gift cards pull out from behind the winter scene.

I did have to point that out to my dad, but he's a guy that doesn't stamp, you know! :)

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

CHALLENGES:
1.  Newton's Nook Inky Paws Challenge (IPC38) - color combo

2.  Crafty Creations - masculine

3.  Mod Squad - Trees and Snow

4.  Brown Sugar - Anything Goes

5.  Sweet Stampers - Anything Goes

34 comments:

cm said...

Vicki, you are soooo deserving of this win and WOW! You've created a lovely wintry scene; one I'd love to step into! The deer, the trees, the landscape...so serene! Transforming this into a gift card holder only adds to the impact! Love this!
Hugs~carol

bumblebee creations said...

Gorgeous card, Vicki-I am sure your dad was smiling from ear to ear!!

Jennifer Jackson said...

This is so gorgeous! I love the plaid paper and the beautiful scene you created. The extra interactive pull up part is so cool! I bet your Dad will love it! Thanks for getting inky with us and linking up to our inky paws challenge!
-Jen {Newton's Nook Designs}

Linda Simpson said...

Gorgeous scene you have created Vicki on this beautiful card.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Bastelkueken`s Kreative Welt said...

Hi Vicki.. your wintercard is so wonderful.. like your Impression... fantastic.
Hugs Anja

Chrissy said...

What a gorgeous scene Vicki..looks like water colouring and love the added Deer and sparkly snow..fabulous...I saw the string so knew there was a surprise in the back..and I was right..lol..

luv CHRISSYxx

Babs Watson said...

I love this wintery scene card with its hidden gift card, what a fabulous surprise for your dad, I bet he just loved it..

Hugs Babs x

Heidi Stamps said...

This is beautiful, what lovely bright colors and a sweet scene! You really showcased your new stamps well! The gift card is hidden pretty well!

I think I saw your card featured on the SplitCoast facebook page?? Well done!

Margreet said...

Congrats on your win and I understand that you "had" to buy the coordinating dies!
You made your father a beautiful card with fab embossing...love how you solved the "brownish" spot of the deer☺☺
xxx Margreet

Olga Jewell said...

Beautiful!!!!

Carol L said...

That's a great scene you created and the hidden pocket for the gift card is genius! Congrats on wrapping up your cards in time - take a well-deserved bow :)

Kuni said...

Wonderful card with a beautiful winter scene.
Thank you for joining us at the Sweet Stampers and i hope to see you again.
Hugs
Kuni

Lynn McAuley said...

Such a beautiful winter birthday design, Vicki!! Love it!

Mac Mable said...

Fabulous how you've put this gorgeous card together. Such a great idea with the hidden gift tags. Loving the deer tracks xxxx

Lola said...

This is so pretty. Perfect guy card and I really like where the gift cards are - instead of just placed inside - this is really unique.

Barbara said...

Congrats on winning the stamp from Newton's. I did see the pull tab on the top and suspected a pull out of sorts. Great job on the card with all of the details and special effects. Bet your Dad will love this. Thanks for joining us at the Mod Squad Challenge this week. Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Barbara, Mod Squad Challenge host

Donna said...

Absolutely gorgeous card Vicki and great hidden element!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Such a fun set to win- congrats to you!!! Love you fun winter scene and esp love the trees! Love the hidden gift card idea : )

CherylQuilts said...

Wow, VIcki, this is GORGEOUS! What a perfect card for the inspiration challenge....great colors! I really love the plaid and the great gift card idea. Your dad is going to LOVE it! Hugs, sweet friend!

Pri Created said...

Fabulous birthday card...I'm sure your dad must have loved it....I love the winter theme...and the hidden element is fantastic..!!

Tammy said...

WOW this is gorgeous Vicki!! I love the beautiful winter scene you created and the hidden element is awesome!
Hugs, Tammy

aussie aNNie said...

Love the hidden surprise Vicki, fabulous idea.Gorgeous colouring and image used. Hope all's good your way.x{aNNie}

Pollard Carole said...

Stunning I love this fab design its gorgeus Sorry not been around lots on Love and hugs Carole x

Asha said...

AWESOME idea! Love that you've incorporated a gift in the card... what a fab surprise. Congrats on your win... you are so deserving. My holiday is spinning out of control. I just hope I make it in one piece! LOL
hugs, Asha

Fiki said...

gorgeous card with gorgeous scene!
love this card!
hugs

Lori Kobular said...

Such a peaceful card! I love the scene you created and that plaid paper looks awesome paired with your winter scene!

Bożena Adamusińska said...

Revelation! Beautiful card and to have a surprise! Dad certainly was very happy, I'm sure he's very proud of you :-)
I congratulate all those victories STAMPlorations! Very well deserved :-)
Have a nice evening,
BozenA

Donna Ellis said...

Oooh! Beautiful, Vicki! Lovely winter scene and colors! Gorgeous card! XXOO

Larissa Heskett said...

SQUEAL!! This is such a BEAUTIFUL Card!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Design!! THANKS for playing along with the NND Inky Paws Challenge and I hope you have a FABULOUS HOLIDAY SEASON!! =)

Angela said...

Wow Vicky your card is absolutey wonderful.♥ I really love it.♥
Thanks a lot for joining us at our second challenge by Sweet Stampers Challenge
Hope to see you again, good luck.
Hugs and greetings Angela DT

Patti J said...

Well now, aren't you the tricky one?!? Love your idea! Great job, beautiful card, you rock!!!

Marlene Bonetti said...

Dear Vicki
You've made a really awesome wintery birthday card!
Thank you for joining us at Sweet Stampers-Challenge
Please come back again soon!
Hugs Marlene

Monika Reeck said...

Oh dear Vickiiiii
The scene is my ONE OF FAV of all your cards
the blue so soft sponged
the deer in black CLEVER
the bird in Red ...super good idea
and the tree in green not sponged...so great masking Vicki
love love much this scene
the birthday lady or boy will love this much Vicki
I ADORE THIS CARD

Monika Reeck said...

Ok just read this is for your DAD
he must love this much
his daughter is a talented card maker
She always made beautiful card...tell to your DAD I am one of her FANS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...