Pages

Monday, March 27, 2017

Monthly Art Journal - Rain Dance

Hello friends!
Spring weather has started over my way and with Spring comes many rain days which is what is happening right now.  I was hoping that the warm weather would come sooner, but instead, I have used the weather to help inspire my art journal page that I'm sharing today!

**For those of you just following along:  I have joined together with my talented blog friend Asha from Sunny Summer Crafts to inspire each other through our Art Journal Pages and share them on our blogs on a monthly basis with you to maybe inspire our other crafty friends.  Perhaps you will be inspired to give AJ pages a try!  We just want to share our love of crafting through this wonderful mixed media art form.  If you would like to see my past AJ pages, you can CLICK HERE to have a look at them all.**

Of course as with some of my creations, it takes off in a totally different direction than what I have planned out in my mind!  If you have worked with some type of mixed media art, then you know there are SO many different types of media that you can use to create with.  If you're not careful with how you use them, they can have a negative outcome on your project that you were not intended to get!  I am still learning how to mix and what goes and what does NOT!  :)
Here's the latest take on my AJ page which I've called:  "RAIN DANCE"
(This page measures 9"x 6")
I started with some ripped up paper that I found in my stash with numbers on it.  I thought I could use these as clouds.  The numbers are actually black in color, but after I put them on my page (prepped with some gesso), I covered them with some blended ink which took on the color of the inks that I was putting down.  (I first used oxide inks for the background just to see if there was any difference than the distress inks.)  The inks "washed away" a bit when I added a layer of matte medium over it, but it was still faintly there, so I left it alone.  I then took some MFT Hybrid inks to stamp the tiny rain lines all over the background with the Nightshift Blue color.  I took the Ranger Jet Black ink to stamp the silhouette girl and the water drip images at the top of the page as well as the water droplets across the middle of the page.  I also stamped the umbrella on a separate piece of watercolor paper, fussy cut it out and used the matte medium to attach it to my page.  (The rain lines, silhouette girl and umbrella came from the Altenew stamp set Dancing in the Rain. The water drip and droplets are rubber stamps from Designs by Ryn.)

I then took a raindrop stencil and used some embossing paste over the page with it.  I waited for it to dry and then covered it with some blue Nuvo cream mousse.  I wanted to add a bit more sparkle to the raindrops, so I covered them with some Nuvo Glitter Drops.   (I added the glitter AFTER I did the following.....)

I thought I was going to have a clever idea of taking some distress stain sprays and making my own "drips" running down the page.  This didn't work out so well for me because it was too dark at the top and I had to keep rubbing it off!  I captured a few drips at the bottom here and there that you can see with the purple and blue colors.

Lastly, I took my Faber Castel Big Pitt markers to color in the umbrella, and around all of the images on the page including around the ripped cloud papers for extra dimension.  I also went around the edges of the page.  I took a white gel pen to add dots to the umbrella and highlights on the water drips and girl silhouette.  I took my Micron pen to add the sentiment and put a few highlights onto that as well.  (This is where I added the Nuvo Glitter drops.)  I then took my Micron pen after the glitter was dry and traced around those drops too.

Here's a closer view at some of the details:
I also took a Micron pen to go around all of the water drips and drops.  You can see some of the background details from the inks and sprays that it left.

I've learned that especially with a solid image, it is really hard to get a complete impression on a page no matter how many times you try to stamp it!  So that's where those Faber Castell Pitt Big Brush Markers come in handy to fill in any missing areas!  I've also used them to add a bit of blue shading to make it seem she's splashing around in the puddles.

Here's a closer look at the sentiment.  This is only the second time that I have used my hand writing on my art journal work.  As like the sentiment, I am learning to "dance" in the rain too! :)  Sometimes you just need to embrace something that you try to avoid....like the rain.

I know I still have much to learn with media and how they work or not together, but I have been having so much fun with this!  I hope you've enjoyed my AJ page this month!
Please hop on over to Asha's blog to see her latest page!  I know it will be amazing!

Thanks so much for dropping in today!
See you soon!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

CHALLENGES:
1.  Art Journal Journey - Out & About


25 comments:

Margreet said...

Gorgeous journal page Vicki...you did a great job and I love the raindrops and your handlettering very much!
xxx Margreet

Linda Simpson said...

This is fabulous Vicki! Love the raindrops and beautiful quote.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Fiki said...

this is so nice!

Bożena Adamusińska said...

Exceptional creation! Vicki, you have created a true masterpiece of mixed media. I've been searching for inspiration for rainy topics for a long time and here I am! You can always count on friends :-) Thank you! Beautiful, very inspirational card.
Hugs,
BożenA

jimlynn said...

So lovely in all that wonderful blue! Love the way you did the "raindrops". Outstanding journal page!
Lynn

Pia S said...

I read every word in this post and studied all the photos. I'm learning along with you, and maybe I'll avoid a few mishaps myself:) you kept on adding here and I think the end result looks fab!

Chrissy said...

I think your art journal page is wonderful Vicki..love the textures and colours and the rain drops look fabulous..love the umbrella too, all of it..FABulous.

Luv CHRISSYxx

MaryH said...

Oh my goodness! You've captured those rain drops' glisten just brilliantly. What a splendid idea to add the nuvo on the falling drops. Love what you've done on this one, thanks for the tip with the Pitt pens on a solid image. I ran into that stamping a solid silhouette yesterday. Used Versafine black, and since it's wood block couldn't use the Misti to restamp. I'm not adept with the other stamp positioners, so I used a Copic black multi-liner. It works too, but will remember the Pitt Pen trick next time (maybe!) Your layers, details, all work great in blue, and I like the design of this one very much! TFS & Hugs.

Meggymay said...

Its a fabulous journal page. The images and details you used are wonderful and the raindrops look so real. It is an awesome page for the theme at AJJ.
Yvonne

Carol L said...

This is so impressive and creative with the raindrops and rainy theme! I love how you used torn paper with printed numbers for the clouds! What an inkylicious creation this is! Well done!

Tammy said...

What a stunning page Vicki! I love all of the blue and the gorgeous raindrops, they look so real!
Hugs, Tammy

crafty-stamper said...

Brilliant journal page Vicki love the vibrant blue and fabulous raindrops-my grandaughters love dancing and singing in the rain especially on the trampoline-tbh even in the snow lol
Carol x

CaroleAnn said...

Vicki, the journey we take with the mixed media is so much fun - learning what works and what doesn't and then being surprised by what we end up with - I love those drips that you got on your page!!! So clever with making your clouds and I love all the details you put into this!!!! Hugs

aussie aNNie said...

F A B U L O U S AJ love this and she is not just dancing in the rain as I can hear her ♪♪Singing in the Rain♪♪ as well.
Those raindrops remind me I must get my stamp out and use it...love this AJ
xx ♥[aNNie]

Debra K. said...

Another fabulously constructed AJ page! Love the little girl and your handwritten sentiment. The ripped paper clouds and the variously made rain drops look wonderful. The little umbrella adds a lovely splash (pardon the pun :D) of bold colour. Debra x

froebelsternchen Susi said...

This wonderful page is absolutely fantastic dear Vicki - and you made me more than happy with linking it to Art Journal Joureny! An amazing entry! Thank you very much!
Happy Day!
oxo Susi

Lori Kobular said...

Gorgeous journal page! I love the rain drops! The colors are so pretty, you are just so talented!

Pollard Carole said...

Wonderful this is so pretty I love the colours and all your personal touches esepecially the hand writing it looks fab Love and hugs Carole x

Mac Mable said...

Do so enjoy popping into your blog to see your varied talents and different styles. This is certainly one of them. Yes I am learning all the time too with mixing etc but isn't it fun learning? Thanks for sharing this gorgeous project x

Monika Reeck said...

sweet tiny umbrella and all the waterdrops
adorable made Vicki and love the sentiment too
the little lady dance there is soo cuuutee love it much
so many great looking water drops too Vickie
Great project!

Lynn McAuley said...

What an amazing journal page, Vicki! Fabulous mix of images and sentiment!!

Donna said...

Wow, there are no words for how amazing this page is Vicki, you outdo yourself every month on your journal page. Sorry I am behind on commenting, busy week.

~*~Patty S said...

Hello from AJJ
Your page is lovely and uplifting and I would Love to have a pretty purple dotted umbrella like that ;-)
Your handwriting looks super and adds a very nice touch.
I have trouble "liking" my handwriting...seems lots of people have issues with that. Wonder what is behind it all.

Rhonda Miller said...

This is wonderful.

Lola said...

Wonderful page. So much detail. The little girl dancing is just perfect.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...