"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Flashback Friday on Saturday - This Land is My Land - The OLD Oak Tree!

Hello friends!
I hope that you are enjoying your weekend so far!
I thank you so much for your kind "get well" words about my abscence this past week.  With the severe heat warning in our area and with me trying to do too much along with other things, it really took me out!  If I'm not careful, I end up with severe migraines and enough to send me into the ER, but thankfully I didn't have to worry about that...I just needed a few days of rest and cool air.  :)  The severe heat warning is supposedly lifted after today, but I can still see some high temps into the next week...which is mostly typical in July and August where I live.  The humidity is what brings the temps into triple digits.

So anyway, hopefully you don't mind a late "Flashback Friday" post from me, but I thought I'd share another creation that was meant to be posted yesterday.

*As I mentioned last month starting my "Flashback Friday" posts, that although these are previously made creations, I have never posted them on my blog up until now.  The only way you may have seen them before is if you are apart of the Splitcoaststampers Fan Club, as I made these last year during my time as a Dirty Dozen DT member and only SCS fan club members would've been able to see them.  I am posting them here for you as a "Flashback Friday" post so that those of you who are not fan club members are still able to see what I created for it.  I was not allowed to post them anywhere else at that time until 6 months had passed...so now I'm sharing them a year later with you as they were shown on SCS.  I hope you enjoy these creations clear up until the end of November!*
(To see all of my Flashback Friday posts - Click here!)
--------------------------------------
Shall we continue with the July creations?  The theme for the month was:  "This Land is My Land"
--------------------------------------
The plan for my uploads for this month was to take the fan club reader on a "journey" into "my world" and narrow it down to where I live.  So last week you saw two of my state creations with the Cardinal state bird and the Monarch butterfly which is our state insect....I have another "state" journey to take you to:
To see the original uplaod on SCS - CLICK HERE (fan club members only)
-----------------------------------
Our state tree is the White Oak tree.
Here's what I said about this card on my SCS upload:
There are tons of these everywhere and they make for some great shade! You will notice that I have a small puddle in front reflecting the pretty tree with the setting sun background. When we have rain, sometimes we get enough rain that the tiny dips in the ground will trap some of that rain water to make small puddles. The corn fields can get really flooded at times.

In my local park, I didn't know it, but there was a very old tree that had recently fell over during the last severe storm we had. They dated the tree over 300 years old or more which is even older than our state is! I plan on hopping over there to have a better look at it. I'm glad to hear they are planning to save the tree and use it for educational purposes.

If you'd like to check out how to do some of this mirror image stamping yourself, check out the awesome tutorial from Lydia - CLICK HERE (You don't have to be a fan club member to see the full tutorial along with the video!)

For my card, I used some distress inks to make the scene background with the sunset.  We do have some gorgeous sunsets over where I live.  Sitting under the shade of the tree would be the best place to enjoy it as well! LOL!  I stamped and colored the tree and used the mirror technique for the reflection of the tree in the water.  I cut out the panel with a stitched rectangle, but instead of discarding the outter frame, I decided to keep it as part of my card and raise the frame up with some foam tape for a different look.  I white heat embossed the sentiment and added a banner with a wood veneer heart tied with twine at the bottom of the design.

I did end up going with my hubby to see this old tree in our local park.  As it turns out, we were experiencing another heat warning around this same time last year as I remember how hot it was when we went to go see the tree.  Here is photo of how large the tree was:  (My husband stands 6 foot tall if this gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.)  This was an Oak tree they (my city) believed to be dated over 300 years old...older than my state!

Here's another view of the entire tree as we came upon it:
(The city had it taped off until they were able to remove it.)

I hope you will tune in Friday as I narrow in even closer to where I live! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And speaking of Splitcoaststampers....I thought this would be a perfect time to bring up a special event coming up especially for Fan Club Members!

Starting next Saturday, July 29th
Mark Your Calendar and print out this "permission slip" below:
clear your crafting table and get ready to have non-stop creative FUN with us over at the
DARE TO GET DIRTY 2017
(click link above for further information.)
These are fun challenges exclusively to thank our Fan Club members!  We want YOU to be apart of the fun with us by playing along with these "dirty and daring" challenges created from our present and past Dirty Dozen Design Team!  The challenges start next Saturday (ONE WEEK FROM TODAY!) and will continue daily with the last day being on Friday, August 4th!
I hope to see you there for lots of crafty fun!

Thanks so much for dropping by this evening!
I will have lots more posts to be sharing with you soon!  Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*


21 comments:

Margreet said...

Gorgeous tribute to that old tree, Vicki...great how you made the reflection in the water! We ever saw such big trees when we were in Yosimite Park.
Glad to read you are feeling better now!
Take care!
xxx Margreet

Debra K. said...

Fantastic card Vicki! Your inking and stamping are superb. I love the reflection in the pool you've created.
The story was wonderful to hear. Such a shame the tree fell down as it looked a beauty and so big too. I'm really loving these flash back Fridays.
Take care of yourself and I hope you feel your usual self soon. Sending you a hug. Debra x

aussie aNNie said...

Great photo and great tribute, nothing like lovely old trees.The stamp is lovely and your reflection is absolutely fabulous.xx [aNNie]

Pri Created said...

Fantastic card..that background is amazing and the reflection in the puddle looks so good...going to watch Lydia's tutorial next...the pics of the 300 yr old tree are awesome....must've been quite a sight...So glad you are felling better Vicki...!! :)

Beebeebabs said...

Beautiful card thanks for sharing!!!

Bożena Adamusińska said...

Great card I love colors, so lively and juicy. I love the reflection of the tree in the water, great work, Vicky :-)
It is a pity that the tree in your park fell. The oaks are long-lived so it could grow even hundreds of years.
Hugs,
BozenA

Nana Connie said...

Wow, Vicki, what a fabulous mirror image card and how perfectly it works with that oak tree stamp! Love the story and the photos of your hubby with the fallen tree.
Don't envy you the heat warnings. We've had them out here in California, too, but we don't suffer the kind of humidity you have back there. Stay cool however you can, my friend.

Linda Simpson said...

WOW that was some tree! A fitting tribute with a fabulous card.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Patti J said...

Love your flashbacks, Vicki! This card is so pretty! Glad that you are feeling better - it's been so hot here. My DH is 67, and still works very long days outside 6 days/wk. I worry so much about him. Stay cool, dear friend, and keep rested. That is one AMAZING tree! Hugs...

Chrissy said...

FABulous reflection image card Vicki..love the sky with those beautiful colours and the size of that fallen tree is amazing..we had a late Summer storm here few months ago before we plunged into Winter [ugh]..and lost trees along our reserve with the most incredible root balls I have ever seen, but not as old as this tree.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Pollard Carole said...

A great post so glad your rest has helped love your card and the story behind it fabulous Love and hugs Carole x

Shelly said...

Well, as you know I've been a little MIA on visiting your blog. lol Though, I'm happy to hear you're feeling better and I hope no more migraines come your way! Stay cool and rested, my friend.
Such a wonderful card, too! And just look at the size of that tree?!!...Wow. To bad it came down, but what a memory. ;)
Take care and hugs <3

Donna Ellis said...

It's always sad seeing something so magestic fall away. Think of all the creatures who have enjoyed the benefits this grandfather oak offered. Thanks for sharing the photo. Your card is certainly heartfelt, Vicki. I can see the love and thoughtfulness put into this creation with all the elements and incredible colors. It's beautiful and fantastic. I'm sorry for the way the heat affects you. It's amazing how humidity can make us feel so sluggish and sick. Hoping no migraines visit you this summer. xx

MiamiKel said...

Heehee! That permission slip is hiarious! And wow, what a tree - so large and to fall is to lose a great giant in God's creation.
Your watercolor rainbow-y colored tree card is sensational! WOW, the oolors are so rich and vivid - just fabulous!

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card and fabulous tree stamp great reflection stamping too--what a shame the majestic treee fell but glad to hear they are trying to save it
Carol x
Not far from us is Sherwood Forst of the Robin Hood fame not sure if you have heard itbut there is a great majest oak tree there believed to be between 800 and 1,000 years old it is definitely a sight to behold we went a couple of years ago
Carol x
http://www.experiencenottinghamshire.com/discover/major-oak-p586841

Pia S said...

I love your idea of making the tree's reflection in the pond. And the colors contrubute to a very peaceful atmosphere. It's really beautiful.

Fiki said...

its awesome card!
hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How nice to pay homage to that old tree. It's a beautiful card and the mirror technique is one I must check out.

That was one HUGE tree. It's sad that it met its demise like that.

Lola said...

Wow, really awesome to get the reflection in your card. Really pretty. We are fortunate to have "dry heat." But it can still bring me down as well. Take care!

Monika Reeck said...

wooow the card
the colors
the tree on the lake
wooooww Vicki
I love this scene
so adorable and no other words
just LOVE this!!!

Jerrie said...

Wow, it looks like the tree came out roots and all! Love the sunset on your card and the reflection in the puddle~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...